Powell's Last Goodbyes, An Interview

The Great Library of The Rejected Realms.

Moderators: Giangsang, Manson, Delegate

frattastan
Discord: frattastan#2205

Powell's Last Goodbyes, An Interview

Post by frattastan »

On Jul 24 2005, General Collin Powell of DEN sat down with NetworkRadio's Boolari, for a final interview.

Original source: http://z10.|invisionfree|.com/NetworkRadi ... wtopic=183
As posted in the Naivetry Reference Library.
Boolari:
Powell, you announced last week that you are quitting NS. How long had you been playing?

General Powell:
** I had been with NationStates for nearly two years.

Boolari:
Since you've left, is it now safe to reveal what you had done in NS? If so, what were you up to?

General Powell:
** Absolutely, Boo. Since joining NationStates, I helped rebuild the region of Solarius (my first home region) under the guidance of Titians (still an active nation in NS.) I also recruited, trained and fielded Solarius' Army (once close to two-hundred and fifty UN nations in strength,) and was a key player in forming the Solarian Intelligence Service. It was this organization that infiltrated and eventually destroyed raider organization Hades/Diablos, and worked with several defender alliances in repelling raider activity. During this time in NS, I was known as the nation of Florence Marie/New Florence Marie.

After leaving Solarius, I formed raider region DEN. DEN, in many ways, was the logical extension of the Army of Solarius, but with an aggressive, offense orientation. During my time with DEN, I (along with GEN The Heights of raider organization Invaders) helped organize the NS Global Summit on Raiderplay and Defensive Operations during the summer of 1994---the first ever large-scale conference between raiders and defenders. We worked closely with both raider and defender alliances during this conference, and very nearly created a new set of rules for raiderplay in NS.

After retiring from DEN, I worked for a time as an intelligence operative on behalf of several raider organizations; essentially providing them information about defender organizations which I had infiltrated. This lasted several months until I retired officially from raiderplay and intelligence operations altogether.

My last venture in NS was the Global Treasure Hunt Project; a "game within a game" which allowed players from all over NationStates to come together and compete for individual and regional honor. Operating under the nation "Hunt Master" in the region of Treasure Island, I organized the first several GTH's, and then helped regions such as Texas, Wysteria and The Exodus conduct GTH's on behalf of regions throughout the NS globe. I thoroughly enjoyed the GTH, but had to end it once the moderators informed me that awarding prizes (which we did after each GTH,) was a form of illegal gambling. Although the players (called "Hunters" during the GTH) continued to participate in the Hunts, it was never quite the same for me. The Hunts came to an end officially in May of this year.

Boolari:
Why did you retire from raiding and eventually from NS?

General Powell:
** I retired from both for precisely the same reason, Boo: Excessive moderator intervention in gameplay. I can appreciate that rules have to be implemented and followed in order to assure respectable gaming among the players, but the moderators get way too involved in how players interrelate. This was particularly true during raider and defender gaming. The moderators---- with a few notable exceptions----have become demogagues in NationStates. This took all the fun out of the NS experience for me, and I left both raiderplay and eventually NS as a result.

Boolari:
What was the most entertaining moment you had in NS?

General Powell:
** This is terrible to say, I know, but it had to be the day Founder Grub of 10,000 Islands was deleted as a result of an intelligence operation by the DEN Intelligence Service (more specifically, by then CPT Martian City States.) I cannot tell you the shockwaves that sent though both the raider and defender communities. It was the high-point in the building conflict between DEN and its sworn enemy TITO, and was one of DEN's greatest successes. All the whodunit and why, and TITO's eventual retaliation against the DEN operations base, was all great fun.

Boolari:
What was your greatest personal achievement?

General Powell:
** The friends I made in NationStates. There are wonderful people involved in a wonderful game. NS became a second home for me, and genuine friendships were formed, Boo. All the late night conversations and shared fun is something I will miss very much.

Boolari:
What is your philosophy on raiding? Has it changed at all between the time you started the game and last week?

General Powell:
** I've always believed in honorable raiding, Boo. It was something I wanted DEN to model, and a concept I repeated as often as possible to every raider and defender who would listen. It has remained the same always.

Every region is a legitimate target, and is subject to invasion at any time. Every raid should be open and obvious to both the natives and those alliances seeking to defend regions under attack. Raiders should come in with flags flying and proclaim their intentions to the target region. Treat the natives respectfully, and don't antagonize the defenders unnecessarily. After all, soldiers may respect one another on the field of battle despite their conflicting goals. Additionally, it is OK to avoid a potential target for purely philosophical reasons (e.g., a religion-oriented region.) The raider commander avoiding these targets must be prepared to defend his or her decision, of course. Finally, remember that the raid is for your benefit and that of your brother and sister raider. It is a team concept; work for the success of the team.

Boolari:
I heard you were the one who came up with the nickname "fenda" for a defender. How did that happen?

General Powell:
** During a late-night conversation with an old NS friend, I mentioned my concern over the growing hostility between the raider and defender groups. I stated that many defenders are really "offenders." This became "O-fenders," and eventually "fendas" for short. It is a way to distinguish honorable defenders from those who raid under the guise of being defenders.

Boolari:
Why did you choose your raider's name to be General Powell, like Colin Powell in RL?

General Powell:
** I admire GEN Powell's leadership philosophy: Courage with Compassion. It is an honorable method of conducting a most distasteful business. As a former Army officer, I understood General Powell's intent and incorporated his philosophy into my own leadership style.

Boolari:
How much free time do you have, now that you aren't NSing and what do you like to do in it?

General Powell:
** I have amazingly more time after leaving NS, Boo. I spend most days after work remodeling my home. I also spend a great deal of free time working on my page in MySpace. Be sure stop by and check it out---it will be good to see my NS friends there!

Boolari:
What's your favorite number?

General Powell:

Boolari:
Is there a way for your fans to reach you?

General Powell:
** [Blushes] My friends can reach me on my MySpace page, or via MSN Messenger.
Please do stay in touch; the world is only as large as we make it.

Boolari:
Do you have any NS or raider advice that you'd like to make sure is posted?

General Powell:
** [Laughs] Oh no, Boo; they are doing just fine without me [LOL.] It sure was fun watching them play.

Boolari:
Do you have any last words?

General Powell:
** Wow. I just realized that this really is the last thing I'll say in NS, Boo. It's been a long time. Just tell everyone that what I feel for them--be they raider, defender or otherwise--is genuine affection. They are great people, and I loved spending time with them in this game. I miss their friendship.

And tell the boys and girls in TORC and DEN to have a round on me! Just for old times sake.

Author's Editorial:
General Powell is a very nice man and he will be greatly missed in NationStates. I wish you the best, GP. Take care
In this world there are two kinds of people: those with loaded guns and those who dig. I dig.

Return to “The Library of Spurned Knowledge”