OPINION/INTERVIEW: The Merit on The West Pacific / West Pacific Dominion

The Great Library of The Rejected Realms.

Moderators: Giangsang, Manson, Delegate

frattastan
Discord: frattastan#2205

OPINION/INTERVIEW: The Merit on The West Pacific / West Pacific Dominion

Post by frattastan »

From approx. 9 Nov 2005.
OPINION/INTERVIEW: The Merit on TWP/WPD

Meritocratic Times Partial Issue 16

Edited by Soigacas and Xiang Gang
Contributors: Chronorica, Ylling, Soigacas, Halmont, Cortath, Xiang Gang

Original sources: http://merit.nosync.org/index.php?showforum=32 and http://nsnews.blogspot.ca/2005/11/opini ... html#links
As posted in the Naivetry Reference Library.

Editorial—Looking Outwards

Xiang Gang: By the standards of this paper, this is a mammoth issue. Around five thousand words of digitally-encased intellect are below, and I can blame the tireless efforts of Soigacas, above all others, for that.

Interviews make up a large section of this issue, and this is important: the team wishes to give insight into the key figures of the world as well as grill the key figures of the Senate. We in the Meritocracy are rather insular, and with good excuse: this is a great region. The Meritocracy is an exciting place; the many bars, tavernsand halls of the MAD are vibrant with discussion. But we must look outward as well, and this paper will help do this. It will be a paper that brings the world to the Meritocracy and, hopefully, brings theMeritocracy to the world. All of this will take time, and a greatnumber of issues, but we have an excellent team.

Soigacas adds: What he said. I'd like to thank Xiang Gang and Chron for a close Aedile race. In the end I won by just one vote, with three abstentions. Hopefully both will continueto work on making the paper bigger and better. On a slightly different note, I would like to apologise for the lack of a Senate News in this issue. We hope to have this included in the paper as soon as possible.

West Pacific in Crisis
By Chronorica and Halmont

On the night of Wednesday, November 2nd, a group consisting of arguably the most active members of the West Pacific and led by Biyah, dissolved the region's constitution, locked the Regional forums,instituting their own, and imposed Martial law upon the region.

The Nationstates community, for the most part, was outraged. The citizenswho led the coup, calling themselves "The Core", dealt with immense flaming and denunciation both in Real Life and out. As Biyah himself commented in his last public statement on Friday, "the fallout is morethan I could have dreamed in my worst nightmare." Citizens of the West Pacific struck back, however, led by the nation of Wickedly Evil Peoples, also known as Eli of the New Meritocracy, and Dilber, also aMeritocratic Senator. Together they led the fight against The Core, even though the West Pacific Dominion (the government that The Corehad established until a new constitution could be written), seemed to have at least the tacit support of the ADN, RLA, and the Allied Statesof Euroislanders. The fight lasted throughout Thursday November 3. However, the morning of Friday, November 4, it was all over. Biyah, apparently weary of the horrific personal backlash to the Core's actions, resigned, and appointed Shasoria, another Core member, to take his place. His nation now resides in Nasicournia. Shasoria, upon accepting Biyah's resignation, dissolved the WPD, and restored the former constitution. Following this, Zeta one, another major Core player, announced his resignation from Nationstates, citing his treatment by the NS community as the reason. Mininneenee, the West Pacific delegate, resigned herself from the UN, allowing Wickedly Evil Peoples to take the delegacy. None of them regretted the action itself, since it had served its purpose, which all of them pretty much agreed, was to stir up activity again. I, Chronorica, interviewed another member of The Core, who missed the entire event, up until Friday.

Halmont Embassy, in the Chronorican Capital's Meritocratic Embassy District

As I walk into the embassy, a massive structure reminiscient of a medieval castle, I note the exquisite furniture which adorns the rooms, and the furnishings upon the stone walls, a style which strikesme as odd in its very foreigness. Apparently influenced by the style of it's native feeder region, Chronorica had never had such a melting pot, having its initial culture being formed first in a player-founded region, and then going over to the Meritocracy. The style struck me as unique, as I approached a heavy oak door that had a nameplate paintedover...a rather sloppy job, I would venture to have said, probably done very recently. As I reached out to touch the seemingly wet paint,the door opened, and I was lead in by a rather heavyset bodyguard. I informed him that I was there for the interview, and he led me to at all chair, in which sat Prime Minister Nicholas Halmont IV, leader of Halmont and its nations. I sat down in a nearby chair, and proceeded to give my interview.

Chronorica: So, you are the leader of the Sacred Federation of Halmont, correct?

Halmont: Yes, indeed I am.

Chronorica: is this the first nation which you have controlled?

Halmont: yeah, my first nation ever.

Chronorica: Do you control any other nations, and if so, where?

At least the ones you can name, Id rather not have any spy agencies offing this reporter over being given classified information.

Halmont: My main nation is currently residing in the Meritocracy, as you know. Halmont II, my second nation ever its on the Courts of TWP, and Saint-Helaire is in the Atlantic. I have a couple of not soimportant puppets.

Chronorica: Can you tell me about the history of your puppet, Halmont II?

Halmont: Well, that nation was created a couple of days after Halmont I, I was new, and just for the fun of it I created it, and itwas on TSP for quite a while, until Feb.04 when it moved to The Meritocracy stayed there for 8 months, and then it went to TWP.

Chronorica: What was it like when you first moved there?

Halmont: Where?

Chronorica: The West pacific

Halmont: Oh, Halmont was born there. I've there ever since.

Chronorica: To be more specific, what was the climate like, theatmosphere and such? How would you compare it to TWP of a week ago?

Halmont: TWP has always been very, very welcoming, although I had a bumpy start because around 2 days after my nation was created, I was recruited to the ACC, and it was soo cool that I immediately joined, and they assigned me to stay in TWP and endorse FoCA, because TWP was under ACC control at the moment. But they are so amazing that after the whole ACC thing they accepted me and let me stay and I grew up there, and I worked there. A week ago TWP was perfect. That's the word, perfect. Up to a point that was boring.

Chronorica: How can perfection be boring?

Halmont: Easy, everything was good; everything was squeaky clean. Sothere was no fun, everyone was getting tired, it was just verymonotonous, if we get to a point in which everything, ever singleaspect of the region its perfect, it was bound to get boring.

Chronorica: I would have to agree with you there! So, what did you,personally, want to do about it? Before hearing it from Biyah, of course.

Halmont: I never did anything, for me it was usual to log in everyday and see the Courts forums inactive. It was good in one point butin the other, I would always ask myself, what am I doing here? Biyah came in and he just told me what he thought, I was probably the 3rd or4th person who knew about it. It seemed like a great idea, and I endorsed it immediately.

Chronorica: What was that idea? More specifically, what did he tell you?

Halmont: He basically told me, that he was planning some new way of government that will make the region a better place, and that it was going to keep its integrity, but it was also going to be fun, and itwas going to make the region more active.

Chronorica: When did you find out about "The Core"?

Halmont: Monday Oct. 31st.

Chronorica: How?

Halmont: Biyah contacted me on mIRC, and then we had a meeting in AIM.

Chronorica: Just you and he?

Halmont: Nope.

Chronorica: Who else was there?

Halmont: ZetaOne, Dilber and Looming Doom.

Chronorica: What did Biyah tell you guys, specifically?

Halmont: What I just told you. I dont remember the exact words, butit was somehow what I said earlier.

Chronorica: ah. Ok, what were the reactions of the others?Well...as you remember

Halmont: They agreed, they where just as happy as I was.

Chronorica: So, can you give me a basic timeline of what happenedover the last 5 days with TWP, then?

Halmont: Monday brainstorming, Tuesday everything was set forums,Wednesday morning, we had the legal code, citizenship act, mostlyeverything. Wednesday night KA BOOM, it was launched (I wasn't aware).Thursday mayhem, Friday second KA BOOM it was over.

Chronorica: What was your reaction on Wednesday when you heard the news?

Halmont: Wednesday afternoon I went to uni, so I had no idea whatwas happening, when I left, everything was a secret. Thursday morningI log into TWP forums, and I see that everything happened. So Iimmediately logged in the Core's forums and started seeing what wasgoing on, in shock the whole day.

Chronorica: How so?

Halmont: Because, I had no idea that they launched it. To myknowledge tomorrow [Ed: Sunday 6th ] was going to be the launching.

Chronorica: Do you have any idea why Biyah and Zetaone went aheadof schedule?

Halmont: Because there was a leak.

Chronorica: Leak?

Halmont: Someone told someone outside the core, and in fear thatthat person might blow everything up, they decided to rush things. And launched it

Chronorica: Do you know who leaked it?

Halmont: Yes, but there is not need to tell.

Chronorica: How has this Situation affected you? IC and otherwise?

Halmont:

In RL: It has been quite a low, basically because for most of the time when everything was happening, I wasn't aware. I wasn't aware of the launching, and I wasn't aware of the dissolution. So I wasn't prepared you know, my mind wasn't ready for everything that washappening.

In NS: I'm sad and scared and very, very sorry, and I just want to put this way behind, and just try to build up trust and getback on making TWP stronger, and more active and more fun, with the current government.

Chronorica: How have you been treated? And how do you feel about the way the other Core members were treated?

Halmont: To be honest, I've been treated very, very fairly, up to a point that it's been good. After it happened, I immediately posted my apologies, I talked with those I felt that I need to talk to inprivate, I was really working on cleaning up my name, but, it felt like my name wasn't affected at all. So I can say TWP, and other regions have been very fair with me. And for that I am eternally grateful, it takes big hearts to ask for apologies in this troubledtimes, but it takes honour to forgive those who made the mistake. I'm happy, because at least there is more activity in the forums and inthe region and I'm glad it happened, but I'm also hoping that everyone puts this behind. Biyah took the blame, and left, Zeta did as well,and Neenee, she did too. Other members posted their apologies and decided to stay and even though the have been flamed, they have been treated fairly.

Chronorica: What about Dilber? Whats his story? You say he was informed, than why did he back out and lead the rebellion against it?

Halmont: He had no time to think about it, and he was against the early launch. So he decided that it wasnt going to be worth it, and he proudly apologized, left and started the rebellion. And Im very proud he did so.

Chronorica: *nods head in agreement* What is your opinion of the apparent ADN's backing of the Core, along with the apparent initialsupport of the RLA and Euroislanders?

Halmont: I for one said that we should have problems with any of the organizations, because since this was planned for a greater good, we will have the support of the other organizations, and I was right.

Chronorica: How so?

Halmont: Because immediately those organizations supported us. Until the reality lightning struck and everyone parted ways.

Chronorica: Why do you think the ADN supported you?

Halmont: I believe because of the strong relationship with Biyah and Dilber, I truly don't know more.

Chronorica: What do you think of the comparisons made between whathappened with TWP and what happened with the NPD some months back?

Halmont: I have no recollection of what happened in NPD some months back, I try to ignore those things. But there is no need of comparison our premise was a greater good. It was going to be risky, bumpy, butin the end, it was going to be good. It didn't work. But I don't like to compare and in this case I have no recollection to compare.

Chronorica: With that being said, did you see this coming? From theearly shot to the vehement flaming and the retirement?

Halmont: I truly think that if we had more time to plan and tolaunch it, it would have been better, and probably the true purposecould have succeeded. But I also knew and expected bad things if itwas done wrongly, as it was.

Chronorica: What are your regrets? As I think that, for theshort-term, what you all desired occurred.

Halmont: That we had bad timing. And that it turned out to be a"coup", instead of its real purpose.

Chronorica: What do you plan to do in TWP now?

Halmont: Stay there, probably face not being in any position for awhile. And gain their trust back.

Chronorica: How long do you think it will be until things becomestagnant again?

Halmont: Hopefully, 2 years. *Laughs* Then a future "Biyah" will think of what this Biyah thought, gather a group of high ranked members and do it again. *Laughs* Ahhh life.. *sighs*

Chronorica: I'm sorry... You know, there are better ways to have stability.

Halmont: Oh I know. TWP have always been stable. Very stable.

Chronorica: The issue is not stability, but, stability with activity correct?

Halmont: Indeed.

Chronorica: What other ways are there of being stable, besides legal perfection, then? And would you not say that legal perfection,is something that the merit should strive to avoid?

Halmont: Foreign activities, keeping the members interested. Having inside activities. Domestic issues. Open debates, things that make nations wanting to wake up every morning and log in and check their nations, check the forums and talk and be active. The Merit will never get to "legal perfection" because its members are from different places with different views. TWP had just that problem.. everyone was pointing exactly to the same direction. I was pointing at the same direction, I've always done it.. I decided to turn for one day. 12 more members do as well and there you have it.

Chronorica: *chuckles* There are several ways to run a region

Halmont: Chron, don't get me wrong, we knew what we where getting into, and even us within The Core, thought that probably overthrowing the current government was a bad idea. But we took the risk. And even thought it came back to bite us in our wazoos.. at least, its active again.

Chronorica: I'm not saying that, I'm saying to avoid a repeat, tocontinue that train of thought, what do you think of what happened to Biyah?

Halmont: I doubt it will ever happen again. I'm truly sad he left. I think that he could stay and just face it, and win back the trustagain. He is an amazing player, and he offers nothing but good things.

And he is smart, funny.. great guy.. not a power hungry freak, likesome would say. And I know that he will be back.. eventually.

Chronorica: Alright then, I have one more thing to ask: Do you liketo RP? Not in the sense of we are already rp'ing but, active threads,with fictitous wars and etc.

Halmont: I used to be a big, big RP'er when I first started.Actually I got a lot of people to like me because of my RP skills.

Then.. it sort off became to overwhelming, things where being blownout of proportion so I just read a lot of it, and enjoyed it. But never RP'ed again.

Chronorica: You think a vibrant RP community could spring up in TWP?

Halmont: Yeah. RP helps a lot. And TWP has great RP'ers.. and theydid a great job.

Chronorica: Ok, thank you for your time. And good luck with the West Pacific

Halmont: Thanks.

At this point, I bid the President a good day, and depart. Sincerely hoping that everything bodes well for the West Pacific.
And so, there you have it. The Core was created with the sole ideal ofremaking the West Pacific, in order to make it more enticing for theresidents, in order to promote activity. In short, to give the region purpose. While we do not know, and, may never know, who gave the leakwhich lead to the premature launch of the West Pacific Dominion, one thing we do know is clear: It was no power grab.

While there were many comparisons between this event, and the Pixiedance incidents which lead to the creation of the North Pacific Directorate, they are made out of ignorance of the real facts. There is no question as to the motives, the split within the core itself, as Dilber joined with Eli/Wickedly Evil Peoples, and the absence of our very own Halmont are very clear proof of this.

This was not the end result of a stressed-out delegate deciding to hand over the reins, as Cathyy did. Nor was there arguably any real ambition involved, Moldavi seemed to have in mind when he took up Cathyy's offer both times, and then forming the NPD. The WPD, as we knew it, was a rush job of something that could have been better, and as such, it was, in the end, a mistake.

The causes of this unfortunate occurrence, and subsequent consequences are relevant to every region from the Pacific to the New Meritocracy.

Within Nationstates, a state of equilibrium is detrimental to a region, as "perfection" breeds complacency, and complacency gives rise to inacivity, the bane of a region. The WPD was a misguided attempt at rectifying this, and, in the short-term, succeeded. However, the WestPacificans left to pick up the pieces will likely have to come up witha new reason to stick around, as Dilber and Halmont seem to intend ond oing.

Where does the ADN fit into all of this, moreover? There has been a great deal of speculation into the organization's hesitancy to denounce the coup, as it had done with Moldavi and the NPD. This was meant to be a secret, so, the ADN should have had no insight into what happened. Perhaps Halmont's interpretation is correct. Or maybe not, although it has been claimed that no organization supported the WPD and its Core, many remain sceptical.

Euroislanders was amicable to the WPD, until players like Xha'Dam and Dilber convinced the RLA to stand against the coup. However, these are questions best left to the many Nationstates conspiracy theorists, as baseless speculation has no place in this article.

All that can be done now, is wish the West Pacificans good luck inrebuilding their region, for the WPD merely highlighted the problem, it did not cause it.

Statement from Biyah

I have said all this before, it will be the last time.

I did what I did for The West Pacific. The Core and I, some of the most respected nations in the game, we're tired of the apathy and decided that drastic measures were needed. We had a ConCom set up, wecensored nobody, we booted nobody. Those are my friends everyone is socasually saying I was lording over, and it was 24 hours that I survived as a Dictator, when I could have locked the region down and preformed all those classic moves we've all come to know and love.

I do not regret what I did, except to say that the fallout is more then I could have dreamed in my worst nightmare.

I will never again find such a crew as the friends I had with me on the Core. I did- I do, and I always will believe we had only the bestfor The West Pacific in our hearts. My friends, it was a true honor towork with you.

The West Pacific Dominion is dead, it's dreams stillborn and its people vilified... friends have been lost and so many made miserable for a game. What is the point in that, exactly?

It doesn't matter anymore. It's over-with. In this, I was successful,the region is active again.

We, the Core, succeeded.

~The Federation of Biyah
In this world there are two kinds of people: those with loaded guns and those who dig. I dig.

Return to “The Library of Spurned Knowledge”