Becoming the Mad King

The Great Library of The Rejected Realms.

Moderators: Giangsang, Manson, Delegate

Manson
Discord: ereh#8503

Becoming the Mad King

Post by Manson »

Written by The Stalker AKA Neo Nibu AKA Forever Fields for NSWF (NationStates World Fair) 5. This lecture details Stalker's experience on NS so far at the time of its writing (2017).
Becoming the Mad King.

Introduction

Welcome one and all to the demonic lecture of the beloved Devil of NationStates, The Stalker.

Now I was asked to prepare a proper coherent lecture for the World Fair, but I figured I’d go on a wild rant instead and see how far that got me.

Within this rant you will receive a slice of the twisted history of NationStates, and maybe some tips and advice on running and building a region, on leading a founderless community, and much more, all of which will be told through an abbreviated narration of my NS journey or rather my decent into madness.

Cough, edit here, not abbreviated enough, I started ranting and now I got chapters.

Madness Index
Introduction
Chapter One, The Origin Story
Chapter Two, Trav Khar Federation
Chapter Three, Hippiedom and Hippy Haven
Chapter Four, Hell is Evil
Chapter Five, Forging the Kingdom of Middle Earth
Chapter Six, King of the Mad House
Epilogue

Chapter One: The Origin Story

See I wasn’t always so mad, way back at the dawn of NS time, mid 2003s I first started playing NationStates with a number of my old neighborhood friends. Back then I went by Nibu, a youthful naive lad leading a small band of friends. Together we joined a region called Solarius, I quickly became head of a Solarian Army Camp, first Camp Delta, later Camp Styx, almost prophetic. Sadly we didn’t stay long in Solarius, lacking a proper understanding of ip addresses, forums, and often using one another’s computers we quickly found ourselves accused of being one person. Together the entire Camp Styx departed Solarius to form my first true home, Trav Khar.

Trav Khar was an over the night success, it became one of the larger NS regions at the time, reaching over 170 if my member serves, which was a ton back in the day for the amount of people that played. For a long while me and my friends enjoyed running Trav Khar, a forum focused community with regular elections. Back in the day, with our starry eyed beliefs I aimed to create the perfect democratic paradise.

But alas, such dreams of Trav Khar were shattered, one by one my neighborhood friends lost interest and stop playing the game, then things took a dark turn. See apparently taking an entire army of players after being accused of cheating to create a power house region of your own, makes you a “threat”. The Solarian Intelligence department sent spies to infiltrate Trav Khar and turn its population again me. Being young and oblivious, and after loosing most Camp Styx members, I quickly found myself outnumbered by a large population of players. My desire and vocalization to have the perfect democratic government quickly allowed the subversives to suggest I’m a tyrant for the inherent power I had, for the government me and Styx members set up without a formal vote. All of this lead to reform they wanted to implement, was only a matter of time before my younger self lost the region I had created. Being turned on so savagely I ragefully booted a dozen players, then immediately regretting it let them return and resigned my station in Trav Khar. People complained to the mod to deleted me, but they couldn’t without cause. Deciding to quit NS and start a new game I posted a link to a site hit based game, which apparently posting such a link is against the rules and I got my poor nation of Nibu deleted. Something now a days would just be deleting my post or a warning at most.

Trav Khar would become my Frankenstein’s monster, after my departure it got out of control, the region began to collapse upon itself having lost its recruiter and basic foundation, turning into an imperialist region colonizing a handful of founderless regions till eventually dying out only to be handed off between dozens of various founders the following years.

The head of Solarius’s army General Powell aka Florence Marie as I knew him, would eventually depart Solarius to form the original DEN. The main Solarian spy who lead the coup against me was known as Durnium at the time, I would bump into him again in the FRA under the name Danubium.

As for myself instead of leaving NS right away, I and like the two people loyal to me left and would form a handful of other unsuccessful regions in the following months, till I did eventually that a break from NS.

Chapter Two: Trav Khar Federation

After a year or so break, I once again found myself on NS, and would never again be gone for so long. I began to get involved with multiple regions at this point. Around 2007 I would join a region call International Nations (IN), and there made great friends. Together we ran our medium sized region, I would play a leadership role there that borderlined as a friendly rivalry between myself and the founder, but we were together as a collective for some time. By 2010 IN began to decline, founder had gone inactive, it was around this time I saw a chance to free Trav Khar from its trophy region status. Me and the remaining active in the IN took control of the now founderless Trav Khar and together preformed my first ever refound. After 6 years Trav Khar was restored, refounded by the IN community and myself.

Together we created a new day dawned for Trav khar, and it became a haven of role-playing, elections in a more coherent government structure, along with a new interest in military gameplay. Trav Khar would become lowkey members of the Founderless Region Alliance, doing a little bit of defending, but ultimately getting fixated on the Warzones and would at one point hold Warzone Australia for roughly a year switching between various Trav Kharians as its delegate, including having Drugged Monkeys break the longest sitting delegate record of the time.

Ultimately what Trav Khar’s restoration lead to was the formation of the Trav Khar Federation. A collection of regions I founded or refounded, including the International Nations and Solarius. I went around and established a number of small regions of varying themes, recruited for all of them, got the majority to have a delegate, and then had one forum for the collective to use. One point I was founder of like 7 plus regions that all had a WA delegate and small native population with Trav Khar as its capital region.

Which worked out so well cause having all your active members spread out as delegates across a dozen inactive small regions is way better than housing all your core members in one large active region.

While the Trav Khar Federation never would properly die, being spread far too thin the Federation would struggle to reinvent itself in time to prevent it from slowly going inactive. I continued to maintain the regions keeping the small remaining communities safe.

Chapter Three: Hippiedom and Hippy Haven

Around 2007 or 2008, well before the return of Trav Khar, I joined Hippiedom. It was my college years and in many ways, I had turned into a leftist hippie. Hippiedom was a paradise for a guy like me, a region free of politics, just a bunch of hippies enjoying great music together. For the first few years I played a third in charge role, the founder Hard Line Commies as the region head with St Stephen n Critters as delegate the second. I would run the Hippiedom forums and help out with larger scale gameplay elements.

June 11th 2011 Hippiedom would become founderless when our founder Hard Line Commies got himself deleted. The delegate of the time had been inactive for over 20 days. It was in that moment I knew Hippiedom had no one else and needed me to step up and take on the role of leader, I couldn’t sit by and watch our region fall apart.

For a year and two months I served as Hippiedom Delegate, leading the now founderless community with help from the other senior members of the region. When running a founderless region it is always important to know who you can trust, and I had many to count on assisting to keep Hippiedom safe.

Until September 22nd, 2012 The Black Hawks lead by Jakker would raid Hippiedom, which to this day marks the only time I had ever gotten raided as a sitting delegate. The occupation would last about a week before they departed. The community shaken by the raid desired to attempt to refound the region, something up until that moment I had always argued against. Being an optimist and wishing to follow the will of the people, we decided to refound our homeland. I sought help from all the major defender groups of the time, gathered all the information on how to do a swift refound I thought I needed, yet somehow missed an important and helpful detail of refounding in a group.

Come refound day Hippiedom would be hawked from me by Gest of The Black Riders. To say we were devastated would be an understatement. The loss of Hippiedom would be my darkest day and biggest piece of unfinished business for me on NS for a long time. A piece of my NS soul was darkened that day, one step closer on my path.

Ultimately the Hippiedom community decided to make Hippy Haven their new home. Despite the loss of Hippiedom the community flourished in Hippy Haven, the region grew far larger and more active than Hippiedom ever had been and would remain so well into 2015.

After the collapse of the Trav Khar Federation, Trav Khar would be added as a Sister region to Hippiedom / Hippy Haven, my way of not leaving Trav Khar behind in many ways.

It wouldn’t be until 2016 when Gest was deleted for cheating that Hippiedom would finally make its way back to the hands of Hippy Haven community. While many rejoiced at its return, in many ways it was too late, four years is a long time on NS and many had long moved on.

Hippy Haven still carries on today, smaller less active now, but still many of the same devoted members it’s had for years.

Chapter Four: Hell is Evil

Hell has always been the region that called out to me the most. I would briefly have a nation in Hell in both 2003 and 2005 if memory serves, but it wouldn’t be until 2007 I would join Hell as a regular under the nation Evil Personz. I wasn’t too involved in the early years, but by 2010/2011 I was a known regular and recognized as a Hell Elder. Hell was a different kind of region, lots of in fighting, indifference or maybe just incapable of unifying enough to create a strong central government, very Game of Thrones. Occasional periods of inactivity with the sporadic raids hitting us.

In those days I played the jester, the zany insane madman trying to stir up regional activity. Even the name The Stalker started out as a joke and would eventually become my main in Hell because of it. While I was off leading the Trav Khar Federation, followed by Hippy Haven, Hell was a change of pace for all that, where I could unwind, goof off, and become the cynical demon I was becoming.

Before long I began to bump heads with another Hell Elder known as Nodin, or better known to most as Captain Woodhouse. Natural enemies to say the least me running Hippy Haven becoming a well known champion of the left, and him the rightwing nazi gameplayer who ran Nazi Europe’s (and later Nazi Europa’s) military branch. In November 2011 I would stifle an attempt by Nodin to become delegate of Hell after he sneaked the seat away from Big Jim P. Opposition to his rule by myself and others would result in the delegate seat shifting back to Jim two days later.

September 28th, 2012 The Black Hawks raided Hell lead by Jakker, they occupy the region for 8 days. Yea literally a week after raiding Hippiedom they decide to raid my other homeland Hell, and they call me the Stalker. It’s cool though, on September 28th, 2022 I end up raiding the Black Hawks.

May 3rd, 2013 Big Jim P would suddenly resign from the delegate seat to give someone new a chance, and I saw a chance to do what I love most, run a founderless region once more. After getting residents on board surprisingly even Nodin at the time I would become the delegate of Hell for the first time. Upon becoming delegate I set up a forum for Hell, mass recruited for the region, and more than doubled the prior delegates’ endorsement count. I established The Four Horsemen as the new leadership of Hell with; Nodin as Pestilence, War-Salvaged Soldiers as War, Freddland as Famine, and myself as Death. As I mass recruited for Hell a surprising amount of people began to join the region, far greater turnout than anyone except.

Hell having been at 80 jumped up to 120, peaking at 140 within a month. It would be in this time that both Hell and Hippy Haven were at over 120 nations and more active then they’d ever been. I found myself running two very different regions, almost a perfect yin-yang of one another.

July 24th, 2013 Nodin would come out with a coup against me as delegate. All throughout me becoming delegate I had made attempt after attempt to appease him, making him co-leader and lots of input, but I couldn’t do enough, and frankly did too much. So due to the various disagreement in management styles, the mass population expansion, and other changes to Hell, Nodin plotted with Freddland to overthrow me and return Freddland to the delegate seat. War-Salvaged Soldiers would briefly go inactive during this period.

The following weeks would be filled with fights on the regional message board. There was little I could do, I had neither the influence nor the right to boot Nodin. The majority of the Hell Elders kept out of the fighting, and continued to endorse both of us. As the more senior residents continued to fight among one another many of the newer residents began to leave the region.

Ultimately the coup would fail to gain enough support to over throw me, and I ruled Hell for another 100 days, with continued scattered arguments. With the fall of The Four Horsemen. I established the Seven Deadly Sins, chosen from among the Hell Elders. Between the coup attempt, the fighting, I lost my desire to rule over such a conflicted region. October 2nd, 2013 I stepped down as delegate, coming to an agreement with Freddland, he became delegate once more.

Chapter Five: Forging the Kingdom of Middle Earth

After stepping down as King of Hell, I felt disappointed that so many of my ideas for the region were left undone. I sought out a region where I thought maybe one day I could create the Kingdom I envisioned. Searching the world I found Middle Earth, a founderless region about the same size of Hell and formerly Hippiedom. I joined under the nation Neo Dragon, literally a month or two after joining the delegate declare they are stepping down and an election will be held for the next delegate of Middle Earth.

I immediately expressed interested to run, outlined my experience running large founderless region like Hippiedom and Hell. Many were impressed by my experience, some unsure about someone so new, and while a vote was held, I ran unopposed to become the next delegate of Middle Earth.

I would become delegate of Middle Earth on June 6th, 2014. Like with Hell I went on a massive recruiting spree targeting Lord of the Ring themed nations, giving Middle Earth a nice population bump to strengthen our defenses, and having recruited ever nation with “Dragon” in its name Middle Earth was flood with 15 or more Dragon themed nations.

While Middle Earth had no formal government structure at the time, it had traditions and customs the region ran on. It would be a close study of these traditions and customs that allowed me to establish a strong effective government for Middle Earth. Doing research into the History of Middle Earth I created a hierarchy of trust, based on residency, WA membership, and who had been delegate before.

I forged the Kingdom of Middle Earth. Where the Delegate served as King, a Lord Steward served as a vice delegate, along with a cabinet of positions designed to meet the needs of the region. Former delegates were recognized as Nobles and a succession process was established based on the prior election tradition.

In short order I had created something special and we knew it. The prefect use of my experience, to create a solid foundation I knew Middle Earth could build off of. I can’t recall any other time in my NS career where things flowed so perfectly, it all came easy for the first time in a long time.

In the end I would only reign as King and delegate of Middle Earth for roughly three months. Hell would come knocking, and I answered the door.

However the Kingdom I started there continues on to this day, having seen the transition from second and third King. I also still play as role as High Chancellor in the King’s cabinet.

Chapter Six: King of the Mad House

After stepping back from Hell, and setting up in Middle Earth, I thought I could just sit back in Hell and allow things to get back to how they were, I even went as far to set up a truce of sorts with Nodin to end the continuing occasional fighting.

Yet despite all that, I got dragged back in. With Freddland in the seat, I thought Nodin would be satisfied, but he was not.

In early June 2014 I noticed nations moving into Hell, noticed nations shifting their endorsements, I warn Freddland that a raid was coming, told him my stalker sense was tingling. Freddland wasn’t too concerned about the nations and wanted to wait and see.

Come June 12th, 2014 Nodin would invade Hell, marching in an army of his Nazis friends to forcibly take the delegate seat. Betraying the community of Hell and breaking the truce he had made with me the month before. Within the first day of his occupation, I got ejected and a regional password was imposed. The reader troubled by this, reads on to see what happened next.

The reason for all this? To extort three regions I had acquired over the years from me. Did I forget to mention I lead In The Flesh? A network of friends and regions that formed out of the TK Federation, Hippy Haven, and various regions I was apart of over the many years. The network’s focus was to fight Nodin and his Nazi friends over the years, along with working alongside fellow leftist regions. Basically we’re James Bond, if he had multiple personality disorder.

The Nazi alliance known as the Right Wing Uprising declared they were there for a parley with Antifa Kingpin The Stalker. Which was a little bit of an exaggeration, likely propaganda to get his fascist pals on board, then again I am pretty badass. The majority of Hell's residents wouldn't initially take the occupation seriously, and the main reaction was mockery of the Nazi invaders, something Hellions are particularly good at.

I however knew he was serious. Terms were simple, hand over the regions or he would mass eject people from Hell, for he knew I cared about Hell and all the effort I put into recruiting new nations.

It’s moments like these that really define the direction the future will take. Do I fold? Hand over the regions, hope Nodin will just leave Hell alone, and everyone goes on as it was, dismissing Nodin as the threat I stressed he was. For a long moment I considered it, but what good would that really do? Then inspiration hit, I knew what I had to do. I had to let Hell burn, let them see him for who he was. Having been telegramming with Nodin over the terms, I ended them suggesting he was bluffing even though I knew he wasn’t.

He then did what I knew he would, half of Hell was ejected well over 40 nations. Nodin had a ton of influence built up and he used it all ejecting his former friends in Hell. In that moment he revealed what he was capable of, and there would be no going back.

It was only at this point that Hellions became alarmed into opposition against the Nazi occupiers. Ejected nations would begin to gather in Underworld, an outpost of Hell I set up for just sure an occasion. Ejections continued for a few days, and with a password up it seemed like it could easily drag on forever considering how much influence the residents of Hell have.

Yet as is the Devil’s luck, on June 18th, 2014 an opportunity for the Nazis to reclaim Nazi Europa's original region Nazi Europe arises. Nazi Europe had been taken over at the time with the intention to refound, yet somehow someone in the region reclaimed it for the Nazis and a power struggle ensued. Causing an end to the occupation of Hell and allowed us to retake the region. Nodin and his army of Nazis depart Hell in an effort to retake their homeland, and avoid fighting a two fronted battle. The Nazis' efforts to retake Nazi Europe would end in failure.

In the aftermath Freddland returns to the Delegate seat, changing the password and ejecting a handful of the remaining Nazis. Together Freddland, Big Jim P, and myself would oversee Hell's recovery and beginning the process of bringing back ejected residents. The damage Nodin's occupation had done would leave Hell fractured, many ejected nations wouldn't end up returning. Several ejected residents would even choose to remain in Underworld. Jim and Fredd would trade off being delegate the next few months, until I came to them with a plan for Hell’s future.

Hell had been damaged, but I knew I could rebuild it, I had the technology. Unlike the first time where I could simply mass recruit, creating activity and safety through a high endorsement count, I would have to get creative this time around. The voices in my head had some good ideas. August 29th, 2014 I returned to the Delegate seat of Hell to rebuild the region. Forging a new Kingdom of Hell, an elaborate new hierarchy based off of Dante's Inferno's Nine Circles of Hell. With Big Jim P, Freddland, and myself as the three rulers of Hell, everyone was given a rank and placement in the new hierarchy.

An effective new recruitment strategy was adopted. It was two fold, the first and long term is using Underworld as an outpost for Hell where nations wishing to join Hell could go through the Trials. The second was to invite my old friends, to merge some of the old TK Federation regions and various other regions I had into Hell. Many of the regions had evil themes already, and were long past there prime. I offered a number of my old friends a chance to join Hell, and many took it becoming long term members of Hell themselves.

With the divisive faction removed, rebuilt with the skeletons of my past, a new unified Kingdom of Hell was born. A kingdom worthily of Hell, and far more capable than it ever was before. A house divided cannot stand, and for the first time Hell took a stand together.

On February 17th, 2015 we would set up a regional newspaper Hell's Bells. Freddland came up with the name, and as a collective we began to corrupt the masses. Bringing the people of NationStates closer to the demons that haunt their souls.

The rest as they say, is history.

Epilogue

Boy oh boy did I miss several important things, and also could have doubled all the existing chapters. Didn’t touch on my World Assembly work, like Condemning Durkadurkiranistan ii or The Pacific! Barely touched on all my work with the left, fighting Nazis, and joining in the refounding wars via my organization In The Flesh. Why I totally didn’t even do a chapter on New York and co-authoring their Constitution through my nation Devil. Not to mention all the various TK Federation regions we could go into length about, or half dozen other regions from over the years.

All of this though, all of it. I consider my origin story. For the future awaits, I’ve played since 2003 and I feel it was all a warm up for what’s to come. I can see myself playing for years to come, and what future I plan to bring. If you play the game long enough you will gain the experience, the friends, the connections. From there you plan in months, grow in years, and always play in the moment.

I hope you’ve enjoyed this lecture, rant, mad chronicle. Somewhere in all the madness there is a lesson to be learned.
Fratt wrote:Welcome to the Meatgrinder.

The average life expectancy of a Manson deputy after their appointment is four days. Good luck.

Return to “The Library of Spurned Knowledge”