A Petition Regarding the Lack of American Admins

Having trouble with the forum? Want something improved? Post your concerns here.
Manson
Discord: ereh#8503

A Petition Regarding the Lack of American Admins

Post by Manson »

Hey guys, how's it going? I'd like to keep this really short if possible because I'm on mobile and I'm tired. :P

For the past few years, our forum has been kept shiny and clean by our admins, which I thank very much.
Recently, Catalyse became a forum admin, which is great. We always need more admins. However, we have zero forum admins that are from the Americas. One of the most recent issues that we've had (happened today) that admins couldn't get to was helping a visually impaired user register. As of right now, we have a visual captcha, an audio one is currently not an option. But, this isn't the only reason we need an American admin.

One of the people I think of the most when I think of TRR is The Church of Satan, or CoS. He's been a dedicated member for 5+ years and is definitely worthy of the position of admin. He's a calm, level-headed, long-tempered guy that sure knows his way around a forum. He is kind to everyone he meets unless they betray his trust. Even then, he is not hostile to anyone. So, let's move on to the petition part of this. This probably won't happen, but myself, and many others have longed for an American admin, and some of us believe that CoS is an amazing candidate. You guys don't necessarily have to make him an admin, we'd just like it if you could consider it and maybe, make him an admin. The signatures/names of the people who support this petition will go below.

SUPPORTERS

Manson
Kyorgia
Bormiar
Bobberino
Bluie Gamer
John Laurens (Just supporting an American admin in general, not just CoS.)
Kuriko
Margiboof
Neq/Glacikaldr/PowerPAOK
Zazumo
Ann/Jodi
Ian Fleming/Flemingisia (Just supporting an American admin in general, not just CoS.)
The Aligned People
South Asians/Mysterio
Last edited by Manson on 20 Apr 2019, 16:09, edited 11 times in total.
Fratt wrote:Welcome to the Meatgrinder.

The average life expectancy of a Manson deputy after their appointment is four days. Good luck.
thechurchofsatan

Re: A Petition Regarding the Lack of American Admins

Post by thechurchofsatan »

I'd like to state publicly that I have already said I don't feel strongly one way or the other. Though I would not turn down the offer.

Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History
wabbitslayah

Post by wabbitslayah »

I vote no and we ban all signatories.
The Grim Reaper

Post by The Grim Reaper »

can phpbb handle a Q&A captcha like the one documented here - https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... a-captcha/

a Q&A captcha could function with a screenreader becuase it doesn't involve a graphic, but this should be checked up with the user in question moving forward. this would make it feasible for us to not need an american forum admin to respond to the particular problem raised here
frattastan
Discord: frattastan#2205

Post by frattastan »

The Grim Reaper wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 08:23
can phpbb handle a Q&A captcha like the one documented here - https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... a-captcha/
It can. Thanks for the suggestion.
In this world there are two kinds of people: those with loaded guns and those who dig. I dig.
Guy

Post by Guy »

I appreciate the suggestion and the time that has gone into considering this issue. The forum admin team is always happy to take-on suggestions as to how the operation of the forum can be improved, so I do want to thank Manson, as always as anyone else who considered this issue (and whether they ultimately decided to sign-on to the petition or not).

New admins are generally appointed only when there is a need to appoint one. I was only made an admin many years into my involvement in TRR, and I'd like to think that wasn't a reflection of my trustworthiness.

At this point, I am not convinced that there is a need for an additional admin to join the team. Most admin tasks are not immediately urgent, and indeed are a result of discussion between the entire admin team. Situations where urgent responses by an admin is required are rare. We should of course strive to make the forum as accessible as possible for all people, and we will look into modifying the current CAPTCHA requirements. However, unless there is a persistent issue of urgent admin tasks that were not handled in time, I don't think it can be said that there is a need for an admin from an additional timezone.

On the matter of the specific issue that had arisen, I would just like to note that I was awake & pingable at the time it occurred, and it's unfortunate that that did not happen. Of course, it's possible that it could have also occurred at a time when the active admins were not available. But if an urgent situation that requires admin attention does arise in the future, it would probably be a good idea to to let us know.
thechurchofsatan

Post by thechurchofsatan »

I'd also like to say I'm a bit touched that a dozen members of our community would trust me with such a position. Thank you. :)

Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History

Return to “Troubleshooting and Suggestions”