BowShot does another officer campaign

Home to all past campaigns.

Moderator: Speaker

BowShot118
Nation: Toerana
Discord: BowShot118#4586

BowShot does another officer campaign

Post by BowShot118 »

Hi. Full initial disclosure, I am currently the Minister of Communications in Thaecia, but I would not run if I thought I would lack the time to do my job in TRR. As per usual, if I think I'm a poor officer or fall inactive in my duties I will resign.

I'm not sold on a preference for what I want to do as a portfolio, and as such I'd be happy to do whatever the Delegate needs me to do over the course of a term.

Regardless, I do have some ideas for some of the Portfolios:

Gameside
  • Continue the RMB Awards.
    I'm not sure whether these are done via a program or via the old manual method at the moment, but they're naturally liked and should continue on a monthly basis.
  • Maintain/Reintroduce Fortnightly information leaflets/a newsletter for our entire region.
    Keeping them up to date with the goings on of the region, cultural events, discussions in the Assembly etc is imo the best way to try and integrate some of our gameside community and help to reduce the wall between it and the "discord elite". Lots of people won't be totally sure what actually goes on offsite and may have no reason to want to join as a result.
  • Bring Back RMB Events
    This may be a CYOA first introduced by Hoff, this may be a "make your own story" or any other classic RMB game. Alongside this, giving a crack at a few AMAs again can't hurt, to attempt to close the information gap.
  • Revamp our Information Dispatch Suite
    I don't think they're bad by any means, I just don't think they're promoted enough and I don't think the right things are emphasised off the bat.

The big examples of I think it missing the mark are things like comparing discord to skype, which I don't think necessarily reflects the age range we are more often than not getting on the RMB. The lack of tutorial images also hurts, e.g. blocking all the telegrams and I don't believe we have an integrated proper how to join the World Assembly. I know Cat has a dispatch published somewhere, but it isn't easy to find.
  • Reaching out
    I think we should look at start reaching out via telegram to some of our more active gameside population who aren't with us offsite to ask what they're interested in, what we can do to cater for them and whether or not we could entice them to apply for citizenship.
Culture
I'm gonna preface this by saying I think that Anarchisticstan has done a very good job as our Culture Officer, and should they run for re-election again I would prefer they get the role over me, should that be their preference.

A lot of my "ideas" are also in the general area of "mimic Anarchi but with some tweaks".
  • More Warning for Games
    I think the low barrier to entry fairly frequent games are great, just giving people more warning may help us to get a better idea of who can play what at what times.
  • Greater Variety of Games played
    I'll grant I'm shy on ideas, but I think pushing out of our usual and trying to play some CaH, or online Tetris or something like that could be nice. I also think there's been several times floated attempts to organise some strategy games sessions (namely Civilization VI), and I wouldn't be opposed to attempting to organise or host those, but I recognise that's often failed due to timezone issues as opposed to a lack of interest.
  • Riddles, Crosswords, Events etc
    What I do think we are missing is something less time sensitive. Last person I remember doing these was Grea, but going back to posting a puzzle or a crossword or something of that nature to complete over the course of a day would be good, giving people something they don't have to be actively around at a specific time for to help to contribute.
  • "TRR Events"
    Unlikely Fratt, I disagree that we have to try and build a unique cultural profile for our events. Popmaster and Werewolf are great and should be continued as a regular part of our Culture suite, likewise with the recently introduced Music Monday, but I don't think we should go for uniqueness over enjoyment. At the end of the day the Culture Department should run things that people enjoy playing together, as a community, as opposed to trying to entice people to join because it's one of a kind. TRR has enough pull for cosmopolitans as it is, most either join because it's a GCR, and thus clout, or because they have existing friends in the region. Neither of those factors change regardless of how generic our cultural portfolio may be.
Roleplay
Low-effort Gameside Roleplay I think could help to gear our RMB away from being bad, per se, and towards doing something less problematic. I'm not sure if it should be held on our proper RMB or a third party RMB, but I do think that maintaining a map and a roleplay setting and giving it some moderation, running the odd event on it, would go a long way to capturing a not insignificant chunk of NationStates' userbase with some low barrier to entry nation roleplay.

I haven't roleplayed for quite a while, so it would take me some time to get used to running one again, but regardless it's something I think I can pursue.
World Assembly and Foreign Affairs
I can't say I'm interested in World Assembly. The most I could do is post threads realistically. I'm also not going to be given Foreign Affairs, so, yeah.

As per usual, questions are more than welcome. Apologies if any of this comes off as a bit rambling or hard to read. I find that it doesn't matter how much I proof read, I'll go back a week later and find issues I never originally came across. Thanks
"In a world of Trumps, Le Pens and Putins, we are very firmly on exactly the other side."
- Vince Cable -
Officer of Offsite Culture
Citizen since April 2019
#BreadCoup

Return to “Campaigns”