An open officership? Why thank you.

Home to all past campaigns.

Moderator: Speaker

Bormiar
Nation: Bormiar

An open officership? Why thank you.

Post by Bormiar »

Yes, I exist.

I am not just an image of your dreams, nor just a symbol, nor merely a legend. I do exist. This is real. Calm down.

I have come to vanquish your enemies, and carry the Rejected Realms forward into the promised land.

Gameside

TRR is unique, and resists comparison. Our steady stream of new players is not the same as that of the other sinkers, of the feeders, of the strongholds, or the frontiers. Our players are rejected by nature, and that is not a bad thing. There is no region quite like TRR; we are exactly one among thirty thousand. Rather like a rainbow-striped unicorn.

The purpose of Gameside Affairs should be to elevate the best, suppress the worst, and rehabilitate the middle. I'm ok with players who come to TRR after a slight fuck-up on their part, that's fine. It's the players that are only here to troll or spout their awful bigotry with TRR as a pulpit who aren't capable of joining our community.

I haven't seen any "Question of the Day"s since I came back. What's up with that? People used to love those.

Foreign Affairs

Two years ago, I left to buy a pack of cigarettes and never came back. I'm sorry, and I'm proud of the man you have become in my absence. A part of me wonders if you still would've shown so much progress if I was around, around to mother you, to baby you.

Do you think it was your fault your mom and I got divorced? It wasn't. It was Kyo's fault.

I'm up-to-date on the following: BoM, PPO, TL&C, the Aegis Accords, PfS, Sedgistan + Kraven etc, Balder, Hulldom in TNP, recent TRR history, and much more. Ask me anything.

Relations with TL&C can be massaged, but further discussion with the delegate, whoever that may be, RRA high command, and valued members of the FA office is necessary before it can be ascertained that we should take any action.

We know where we stand on BoM. I'm in favor of the Aegis Accords as long as nothing else happens.

Culture

This is where TRR shines, and where we make up for our recruitment difficulties. I certainly wouldn't have come to be a part of TRR if it weren't for the community and for werewolf.

The focus should be on hosting fun events, confined to Discord, which don't feel like extra work, and engage our allies and the rest of the NS community. A roleplaying competition would be a bust for the simple reason that few people in TRR are interested in roleplaying. Popmaster, or movie night, on the other hand, can and has been very successful.

I have a few ideas for events, which I'd be happy to pass along to Lib.

World Assembly

We don't need a World Assembly Office. I'm disappointed to be saying that, because I had a lot of fun building it up in Jack's term, but I know it hasn't been running for a while, and there hasn't been a strong push to bring it back.

Media

I have to be a little blunt here, given the history.

TRT should be dissolved. It's often difficult examining the history of TRT, because in its most active state it was headed by Unibot - who in all honesty must've had his hands in almost every article. Since then, since his blacklisting and expulsion from our region, our newspaper has limped along only half-heartedly.

The fact of the matter is, most gameplayers don't want to be DMed asking to write a 600-word essay.

Let's get with the times. A newspaper for TRR should be rebranded to amputate the UDL/Unibot era, should be based on Discord, and should be written in the short form except for the occasional op-ed, think piece, or work of investigative journalism by an inspired and enterprising author. Interviews are lucrative. People love being interviewed, and people love reading interviews.

Conclusion

I'm not married to anything here, and even as an officer I'd only have as much authority as the delegate permits.

Please ask as many questions as you like and on whatever you like.

- Borm
The Second Coming is nigh upon us.
Manson
Discord: ereh#8503

Re: An open officership? Why thank you.

Post by Manson »

Seconding, media has no tie to the government anymore though, FYI.
Fratt wrote:Welcome to the Meatgrinder.

The average life expectancy of a Manson deputy after their appointment is four days. Good luck.
Bormiar

Post by Bormiar »

Manson wrote:
31 Jan 2024, 06:04
Media has no tie to the government anymore though, FYI.
I'm aware :p.

We split off media not only to make room for WA, but also to boost efficiency in TRT. That hasn't worked.
Manson
Discord: ereh#8503

Post by Manson »

Bormiar wrote:
31 Jan 2024, 06:33
Manson wrote:

We split off media not only to make room for WA, but also to boost efficiency in TRT. That hasn't worked.
That’s true. Disagree with your takes on media though so I think unfortunately I’ll be rescinding my second. Sorry.
Fratt wrote:Welcome to the Meatgrinder.

The average life expectancy of a Manson deputy after their appointment is four days. Good luck.
Bormiar

Post by Bormiar »

Manson wrote:
31 Jan 2024, 12:23
Bormiar wrote:
31 Jan 2024, 06:33
Manson wrote:

That’s true. Disagree with your takes on media though so I think unfortunately I’ll be rescinding my second. Sorry.
That can’t be the reason why especially given my clarification that “I’m not married to anything” :p. Regardless, sorry to lose you.
Salem
Nation: Dakota
Discord: dakadak

Post by Salem »

Seconding.
he/him
frattastan wrote: All the raiders died on first night, that's what matters.
guy wrote: Yeah makes sense. Just go to Koth
Fuck you’re a weird unit sometimes
But yeah shit in peace.
The Grim Reaper

Post by The Grim Reaper »

My understanding is that your stance on Media would, essentially, be to allow the TRT to lapse into obsolescence (perhaps by repealing the Constituting Act, or just allowing it to exist as an independent, irrelevant agency), and to create a new 'short-form' based publication that would be directly and intentionally controlled by the fourth Officership, allowing the WA Officership to lapse; is this correct?

Re: FA - what is your opinion on bilateral relations with Europeia outside the context of the Accords? To what extent would you support or oppose non-milGP initiatives with other Accord members on the sole basis of being signatories to the Accords? (i.e. if there was a hypothetical Accords festival, or a shared Discord channel between Accord members' servers) Also of the GCRs, name one you want closer relations with and name one you want to distance ourselves from (relative to our CURRENT engagement with them; not just the GCRs TRR should rank best and worst)

Culture: do you believe the majority of the region who do not show an interest in roleplay should be more repentant for their personal failings?
Bormiar

Post by Bormiar »

The Grim Reaper wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 03:41
My understanding is that your stance on Media would, essentially, be to allow the TRT to lapse into obsolescence (perhaps by repealing the Constituting Act, or just allowing it to exist as an independent, irrelevant agency), and to create a new 'short-form' based publication that would be directly and intentionally controlled by the fourth Officership, allowing the WA Officership to lapse; is this correct?
Yes, and thank you for restating it so well.
The Grim Reaper wrote:
Re: FA - what is your opinion on bilateral relations with Europeia outside the context of the Accords?
The establishment of bilateral relations with Europeia is contingent on their disclosing the origin of the leak. This is not said out of spite or any grudge; rather, it is due to the fact that any treaty relationship with Europeia will inevitably include a respect-our-sovereignty clause, which they will have failed to honor from the very beginning of that treaty's lifetime.

I hope that Europeia approaches us offering resolution, and with this information at the ready. The way I see it, the onus is currently on them to restore defender unity to its more-perfect past state.
The Grim Reaper wrote:
To what extent would you support or oppose non-milGP initiatives with other Accord members on the sole basis of being signatories to the Accords? (i.e. if there was a hypothetical Accords festival, or a shared Discord channel between Accord members' servers)
I support the concept broadly, and am likely to support any proposed cultural initiative for the purposes of bridging the gap between our regions so long as it seems feasible and fun.

I personally want to branch out and meet more players from other regions.
The Grim Reaper wrote:
Also of the GCRs, name one you want closer relations with and name one you want to distance ourselves from (relative to our CURRENT engagement with them; not just the GCRs TRR should rank best and worst)
I'm truly impressed and excited by Balder's growth in recent years. Their Crown Princess is a former delegate of TRR, and a former PM of Balder (Bowzin) is now a citizen here. I don't imagine a treaty at this time, but also feel an embassy, a gesture of respect, is warranted.

As for the second part of your question, I've responded in #citizens on Discord. Link here.
The Grim Reaper wrote:
Culture: do you believe the majority of the region who do not show an interest in roleplay should be more repentant for their personal failings?
Haha
Nequedum
Nation: Glacikaldr
Discord: Nequedum#1716

Post by Nequedum »

Regarding media, the Act killed my interest in TRT, given how I and the vast majority of all the remaining active writers at the time opposed the change.

I'm not against trying something shorter form as long as there's still room for longer articles, op-eds, interviews, etc. if or when there's interest in them being written again.

I might feel that spark again if I see the region getting back on board with the idea and acknowledging the amount of work people put into it voluntarily, for nothing other than the good of the region, as opposed to ignoring our wishes and doing things by simple majority behind our backs.

At this point, I'm open to a lot to get TRT back to where it should be. That being said, noting how you're not married to any particular idea as well, my strong preference would be for us to keep the name of The Rejected Times just because the brand has some weight still, and I've been able to maintain a decent subscription list for it that has nations from other regions interested in its publications; https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=959554

I also have a strong preference to see a fifth Officer position return for Media Officer, as I feel this was the singular largest driving force to publications maintaining their regularity. I'm open to a Media Officer's term being dedicated to another form of media than TRT though, or there being a Deputy to take on TRT if that's someone's interest. A Media Officer could be solely focused on Foreign Affairs Updates if that got us all writing again, for example.
Vis
Nation: Visionary Union

Post by Vis »

Nequedum wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 14:33

I also have a strong preference to see a fifth Officer position return for Media Officer, as I feel this was the singular largest driving force to publications maintaining their regularity. I'm open to a Media Officer's term being dedicated to another form of media than TRT though, or there being a Deputy to take on TRT if that's someone's interest. A Media Officer could be solely focused on Foreign Affairs Updates if that got us all writing again, for example.
We don't always fill our officer posts as it is, do we need to add another likely vacancy?
Giangsang
Nation: Giangsang
Discord: giangsang

Post by Giangsang »

Vis wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 16:55
Nequedum wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 14:33

We don't always fill our officer posts as it is, do we need to add another likely vacancy?
To be fair, it seems they're suggesting to replace the EiC role. Not to create a whole other vacancy.
Bormiar

Post by Bormiar »

Thanks, Neq. I wonder if after the delegate elections, we should open up a discussion thread to discuss this.

For now, I'll say this. The first thing I'd do if...

Given FA. Confer with the delegate about an embassy relationship with Balder.

Given Gameside. Telegram and make personal connections with anyone on the RMB who seems to be posting in good faith.

Given Culture. Write out 15 event ideas, and throw out 2/3 of them. Repeat once or twice.

Given Media. Telegram or DM ten interesting players asking for an interview. Most will say yes.

Given World Assembly. Talk to a friend of mine in the GA about getting involved there, pass a few proposals, and try to turn TRR into a landing ground for GA players. It's doable.

Return to “Campaigns”