Government Accountability Act and interregional organisations

A forum containing past Assembly discussions.

Moderator: Speaker

frattastan
Discord: frattastan#2205

Government Accountability Act and interregional organisations

Post by frattastan »

An amendment:
1. This Act is known as the Government Accountability Act.

2. The Delegate must report to the Assembly on the government's achievements and plans within each portfolio on the first day of odd-numbered months (1 January, 1 March, 1 May, 1 July, 1 September, 1 November).

3. The Delegate must report to the Assembly on any proposal to convene a Council of the Parties to the Aegis Accords, or any proposal to admit new members to the Partnership of Sovereignty or amend its Charter.

The Delegate may authorise an Officer to deliver the report in their absence.

5. If a report required by this Act is not delivered within 48 hours, the Speaker must report the failure to the Assembly.
(I guess that Aegis isn't strictly an organisation but whatever, this was just the first topic title that came to mind)
Last edited by frattastan on 19 Apr 2023, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changes to the wording.
In this world there are two kinds of people: those with loaded guns and those who dig. I dig.
frattastan

Re: Government Accountability Act and interregional organisations

Post by frattastan »

"How does the Speaker report the failure if they may not be aware of the proposal?". Good question, but I don't think it matters much: they could also report retroactively, after the proposal becomes known.

A minor effect of the new clause is that with periodic reports "within 48 hours" means 48 hours after the deadline, but in the case of Aegis/PfS matters an alternative interpretation would be "within 48 hours [of the proposal being received]". I don't mind it because it's still a reasonable timing. If you disagree it can be amended to "is not delivered within 48 hours of its deadline ...".
In this world there are two kinds of people: those with loaded guns and those who dig. I dig.
Manson
Discord: ereh#8503

Post by Manson »

Seconded, I’d prefer the 48 hours release clause though.
Fratt wrote:Welcome to the Meatgrinder.

The average life expectancy of a Manson deputy after their appointment is four days. Good luck.
Catalyse
Nation: Catalyse

Post by Catalyse »

Sounds a bit odd to mention a treaty specifically in the law, no? What if the treaty is repealed.
Formerly former things.
frattastan

Post by frattastan »

That's true, but I couldn't think of a more elegant wording. It also seemed the easiest way to focus on votes (membership/amendment) that are important enough tl require immediate notification instead of waiting for periodic reports or similar. If we leave any treaty I imagine that we would do a joint repeal of this clause as well but, yeah, if you have a better proposal feel free to suggest it.
Minskiev
Nation: Minskiev
Discord: walrus#8689

Post by Minskiev »

"It's actually Council of the Parties"

It's a little clunky but it shouldn't be too big of a problem if the Aegis Accords are repealed.
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 11x WA author. Join the RRA here.
frattastan

Post by frattastan »

Minskiev wrote:
15 Apr 2023, 16:06
"It's actually Council of the Parties"
Fixed.
BowShot118
Nation: Toerana
Discord: BowShot118#4586

Post by BowShot118 »

Full support from me.
"In a world of Trumps, Le Pens and Putins, we are very firmly on exactly the other side."
- Vince Cable -
Officer of Offsite Culture
Citizen since April 2019
#BreadCoup
Catalyse
Nation: Catalyse

Post by Catalyse »

frattastan wrote:
15 Apr 2023, 13:41
That's true, but I couldn't think of a more elegant wording. It also seemed the easiest way to focus on votes (membership/amendment) that are important enough tl require immediate notification instead of waiting for periodic reports or similar. If we leave any treaty I imagine that we would do a joint repeal of this clause as well but, yeah, if you have a better proposal feel free to suggest it.
Wouldn't it be better if we added the sorely lacking provision to allow the assembly to pass resolutions into the constitution. Would fix the issue I raised, could prevent other weird law attempts like the one in the NPO kerfuffle.
Formerly former things.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Support.

I think the correct interpretation, for consistency, would be to read section 5 as ‘within 48 hours of the report being due’. Might be better to make it explicit.

I don’t see any problems with referring to treaties in statute.
frattastan

Post by frattastan »

Catalyse wrote:
15 Apr 2023, 16:37
Wouldn't it be better if we added the sorely lacking provision to allow the assembly to pass resolutions into the constitution. Would fix the issue I raised, could prevent other weird law attempts like the one in the NPO kerfuffle.
I can see why you say that (ie, in this case we could pass a resolution saying "The Assembly invites the Government to report ...") but I would rather see the use of resolutions as an addition than an alternative to this. It's a reporting requirement that fits within the existing Act.

Resolutions can still have their place to direct the Delegate/government to act in a certain way on specific issues. For the record, I think that we can already pass resolutions, but a constitutional amendment may help clarifying some questions about them. I would be happy to have a separate discussion about them.
frattastan

Post by frattastan »

Guy wrote:
15 Apr 2023, 16:42
I think the correct interpretation, for consistency, would be to read section 5 as ‘within 48 hours of the report being due’. Might be better to make it explicit.
I made a slight edit that hopefully works.

I'd like to see this at vote in a day or so.
BowShot118

Post by BowShot118 »

^ Seconded
"In a world of Trumps, Le Pens and Putins, we are very firmly on exactly the other side."
- Vince Cable -
Citizen since April 2019
#BreadCoup
NPS

Post by NPS »

1. This Act is known as the Government Accountability Act.

2. The Delegate must report to the Assembly on the government's achievements and plans within each portfolio on the first day of odd-numbered months (1 January, 1 March, 1 May, 1 July, 1 September, 1 November).

3. The Delegate must report to the Assembly on any proposal to convene a Council of the Parties to the Aegis Accords, or any proposal to admit new members to the Partnership of Sovereignty or amend its Charter, within 24 hours of the proposal being received.

The Delegate may authorise an Officer to deliver the report in their absence.

5. If a report required by this Act is not delivered within 48 24 hours of being due, the Speaker must report the failure to the Assembly.
I'd prefer the original legislation to be 24 hours rather than 48. As if we're wanting it within a day, if they take more than two days they should have their failure reported to the assembly.
Vis
Nation: Visionary Union

Post by Vis »

Swap Ageis to "any Alliance that TRR is a member of".
frattastan

Post by frattastan »

Vis wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 12:14
Swap Ageis to "any Alliance that TRR is a member of".
I think it's harder to phrase generically because we don't know how these alliances will work and what kind of internal mechanisms they will have that deserve reporting on. Our other alliances don't have anything equivalent to a "Council of the Parties".

We can amend the law if we enter new agreements of this sort.
frattastan

Post by frattastan »

NPS wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 12:13
I'd prefer the original legislation to be 24 hours rather than 48. As if we're wanting it within a day, if they take more than two days they should have their failure reported to the assembly.
Very reasonable, but I preferred to keep it simple by using the same deadline that already existed for periodic reports. 24+24 would be nicer, but I think 24+48 is still acceptable.
NPS

Post by NPS »

frattastan wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 12:24
NPS wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 12:13
Very reasonable, but I preferred to keep it simple by using the same deadline that already existed for periodic reports. 24+24 would be nicer, but I think 24+48 is still acceptable.
Could we not have periodic reports within 24+24 as well?
frattastan

Post by frattastan »

We could, but do they deserve such a stringent requirement since in their case delays make little difference?

I think it's a minor quibble. The current thing isn't optimised for all scenarios, but it should be good enough to cover our needs.
frattastan

Post by frattastan »

I edited the proposal to accept a suggestion made by Guy on Discord.

Now clause 3 simply says that there must be a report (implying, immediately or as soon as practicable). This practically reduces the timing before failure is reported from 24+48 hours to 0+48 hours.
BowShot118

Post by BowShot118 »

Per Discord Convo, still seconded the current version ^^
- Vince Cable -
Citizen since April 2019
#BreadCoup
Goobergunchia
Nation: Goobergunchia
Discord: Goobergunch#2417

Post by Goobergunchia »

I'll third this. It remains important for the Assembly to be informed on who we're getting in bed with.
Your friendly neighborhood Scary Antiquity Nation.
ADN Advisor Emeritus
Manson
Discord: ereh#8503

Post by Manson »

Goobergunchia wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 19:36
I'll third this. It remains important for the Assembly to be informed on who we're getting in bed with.
TRR is a dirty girl.
Fratt wrote:Welcome to the Meatgrinder.

The average life expectancy of a Manson deputy after their appointment is four days. Good luck.

Return to “Discussion”