[DRAFT] Amend TRRMC’s Constituting Act

A forum containing past Assembly discussions.

Moderator: Speaker

Manson
Discord: ereh#8503

Re: [DRAFT] Amend TRRMC’s Constituting Act

Post by Manson »

Catalyse wrote:
23 Jun 2023, 21:28
Manson wrote:
23 Jun 2023, 20:31
frattastan wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 14:09
Only marginally related to your proposal (so it may be offtopic), but how do you feel about having fixed terms for EiC? These could be relatively long (6 months? 9 months? A year might stretch it) to avoid political pressure, but it would still mean that the Assembly is checking of TRT's health on a regular basis. This would hopefully avoid some situations with deeply inactive EiCs who aren't facing challenges.
If they’re elected by TRT staff, sure.
Care to explain why? The TRT is not some exclusive club, the EiC is still a public office.
It just feels inappropriate for non-contributors to have a say in who is selected. Anyone can apply, anyone really is accepted unless they’re clearly applying in bad faith.

Staff opinions matter more to me as EiC than citizen opinions re: the paper.
Fratt wrote:Welcome to the Meatgrinder.

The average life expectancy of a Manson deputy after their appointment is four days. Good luck.
Catalyse
Nation: Catalyse

Post by Catalyse »

Manson wrote:
24 Jun 2023, 06:20
Catalyse wrote:
Manson wrote:

Care to explain why? The TRT is not some exclusive club, the EiC is still a public office.
It just feels inappropriate for non-contributors to have a say in who is selected. Anyone can apply, anyone really is accepted unless they’re clearly applying in bad faith.

It would be inappropriate to apply these same standards to any other office, wouldn't you agree? Just like the outreach staff shouldn't be the one electing the outreach officer, I don't see why it should be the TRT staff electing the EiC.
Formerly former things.
BowShot118
Nation: Toerana
Discord: BowShot118#4586

Post by BowShot118 »

Catalyse wrote:
24 Jun 2023, 11:43
Manson wrote:
24 Jun 2023, 06:20
Catalyse wrote:

It would be inappropriate to apply these same standards to any other office, wouldn't you agree? Just like the outreach staff shouldn't be the one electing the outreach officer, I don't see why it should be the TRT staff electing the EiC.
This ^
"In a world of Trumps, Le Pens and Putins, we are very firmly on exactly the other side."
- Vince Cable -
Officer of Offsite Culture
Citizen since April 2019
#BreadCoup
Spartan Termopylae

Post by Spartan Termopylae »

I think that Manson will argue that trt isn't a governmental agency like the officer departments are
The written word is one of the most precious things known to man.

We have barely reached a point where most appreciate this.

Wr addre nearing the point where were loose this
Catalyse
Nation: Catalyse

Post by Catalyse »

Spartan Termopylae wrote:
24 Jun 2023, 12:17
I think that Manson will argue that trt isn't a governmental agency like the officer departments are
Government or not, it is a public office.
Formerly former things.
frattastan
Discord: frattastan#2205

Post by frattastan »

Manson wrote:
frattastan wrote:
Only marginally related to your proposal (so it may be offtopic), but how do you feel about having fixed terms for EiC? These could be relatively long (6 months? 9 months? A year might stretch it) to avoid political pressure, but it would still mean that the Assembly is checking of TRT's health on a regular basis. This would hopefully avoid some situations with deeply inactive EiCs who aren't facing challenges.
It's a suggestion that I would give regardless of the method of election.

Besides, election by TRT staff isn't even part of the draft you're discussing here. :P
In this world there are two kinds of people: those with loaded guns and those who dig. I dig.
Manson

Post by Manson »

frattastan wrote:
24 Jun 2023, 16:17
Manson wrote:
frattastan wrote:
It's a suggestion that I would give regardless of the method of election.

Besides, election by TRT staff isn't even part of the draft you're discussing here. :P
Why would I suggest it if it’s going to be shot down? I’m just stating my preference.

The average life expectancy of a Manson deputy after their appointment is four days. Good luck.
Manson

Post by Manson »

1. The Rejected Realms Media Corporation (the Corporation) is established.

2. The purpose of the Corporation is to publish media, with a focus on news and commentary, that is relevant to the Rejected Realms and NationStates broadly, through the Rejected Realms' regional platforms.

3. The Corporation enjoys editorial independence.

4. The Editor-in-Chief is the head of the Corporation. The Editor-in-Chief is responsible for ensuring the Corporation achieves its purpose through the facilitation of member (henceforth referred to as TRT Staff) applications, publications, and a continued managing management of the Corporation and its policies.

5. Any citizen may challenge for the position of Editor-in-Chief in the manner prescribed for an Officer of the Rejected Realms.

6. The Editor-in-Chief may choose to select another TRT Staff member, if deemed necessary, to serve as Deputy Editor-in-Chief, a role encompassing all the rights and responsibilities of the office of Editor-in-Chief in their absence. The office of Deputy Editor-in-Chief is to be filled at the Editor-in-Chief’s discretion, with it being their unexpressed right to dismiss or appoint a Deputy Editor-in-Chief at will.

7. In the event of the Editor-in-Chief’s resignation, the Deputy Editor-in-Chief shall assume the title of “Acting Editor-in-Chief” and all of the office’s responsibilities until a new Editor-in-Chief can be selected under the provisions outlined in Article 5.
Got rid of the clause allowing TRT staff to vacate the office at will. Please leave comments, looking to at least codify the deputy role.

Nequedum
Nation: Glacikaldr
Discord: Nequedum#1716

Post by Nequedum »

Very happy to second the most up to date edit.
BowShot118
Nation: Toerana
Discord: BowShot118#4586

Post by BowShot118 »

While I don't entirely see the point of codifying a Deputy or introducing an the Acting EiC position, I hold no real objections to the amendments
"In a world of Trumps, Le Pens and Putins, we are very firmly on exactly the other side."
- Vince Cable -
Officer of Offsite Culture
Citizen since April 2019
#BreadCoup
Minskiev
Nation: Minskiev
Discord: walrus#8689

Post by Minskiev »

Seconded
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 11x WA author. Join the RRA here.
Manson

Post by Manson »

Motioning my latest proposal to a vote per convo w/ the Speaker.

Vis
Nation: Visionary Union

Post by Vis »

Second the motion
frattastan

Post by frattastan »

It's a bit unusual - none of the other elected offices have provisions for succession like this one.* Theoretically, if there was very little interest in the position, the Acting EiC could serve for many months without ever getting Assembly approval. I wonder if they would choose to openly go through that when they already hold all relevant authority (beyond, maybe, "strong legitimacy"), in fact. But I guess that we will only discover with time how this works in practice. :P

The upside is that you have a smoother path for continuity in the management of TRT, of course.

The only other potential con that I think of is that can create a de facto succession mechanism, with the EiC heavily favouring the choice of their own successor (compared to 'outsiders' who challenge without being Deputies). However TRT is probably one area where this would have the least negative impact - the field of potential successors would be very small in any case because at any time few people will be good organisers, with writing experience, etc.

* Kind of. The Speaker Act has a succession mechanism, but the term of the Deputy is time-limited anyway because of scheduled elections.
In this world there are two kinds of people: those with loaded guns and those who dig. I dig.
Giangsang
Nation: Giangsang
Discord: giangsang

Post by Giangsang »

I find it strange that the consent of the appointee isn't mentioned. I assume the EiC can't just appoint people who don't want the position, but it still feels weird that it isn't specified at all.
frattastan

Post by frattastan »

Giangsang wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 23:44
I find it strange that the consent of the appointee isn't mentioned. I assume the EiC can't just appoint people who don't want the position, but it still feels weird that it isn't specified at all.
I would say it's implied. Consider that an appointee could always resign (even, repeatedly) if they didn't want the position, so
Guy

Post by Guy »

I don’t feel strongly about the substance of the proposal. Unfortunately I didn’t get to proposing some wording amendments, so if this passes I’ll probably immediately propose some non-substantive tweaks. That shouldn’t stop people from voting in favour if they support the proposal otherwise.

Return to “Discussion”