[PROPOSAL] Constitutional Amendment: Splitting the HoG and HoS

A forum containing past Assembly discussions.

Moderator: Speaker

Manson
Discord: ereh#8503

Re: [PROPOSAL] Constitutional Amendment: Splitting the HoG and HoS

Post by Manson »

Catalyse wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 21:45
Manson wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 21:34
Fuck it, seconding Grim’s proposal.
There has been no discussion on this for months. Don't just call for a vote for the sake of it.
So let’s discuss it.

EDIT: Additionally, if anyone is opposed to Grim’s proposal they can always either suggest some edits or vote against if it made it to vote. Maybe everything that’s been said is it, maybe we’ve exhausted any discussion that could be left surrounding his proposal. I don’t see any harm in this, considering the alternative is we just sit around and do the same old stuff.
Fratt wrote:Welcome to the Meatgrinder.

The average life expectancy of a Manson deputy after their appointment is four days. Good luck.
LiberzanEmpire
Nation: Liberza
Discord: liberza

Post by LiberzanEmpire »

I agree, I’d like to discuss this.

As giang had previously asked, are the issues mentioned (more specificially, the scarcity of serious/legitimate candidates for government positions) still relevant?

Also, how would the General Secretary even work? Based on the idea that they are HoG, I’d assume that means they would be the one responsible for signing legislation and whatnot?
Last edited by LiberzanEmpire on 19 Nov 2023, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes, I dream about bacon

I wonder how TRR feels about having had a 13 year old iPad kid be one of their officers ;P
Manson

Post by Manson »

LiberzanEmpire wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 22:10
As giang had previously asked, are the issues mentioned (more specificially, the scarcity of serious/legitimate candidates for government positions) still relevant?

Also, how would the General Secretary even work? Based on the idea that they are HoG, I’d assume that means they would be the one responsible for signing legislation and whatnot?
As I stated on Discord it’s unfair to point to Delegate burnout as the sole cause of resignations but definitely an array of internal and external factors have continuously contributed to the seat being vacated earlier than usual.

The General Secretary, if I’m reading Grim’s proposal correctly, would just pretty much assume all the governmental functions of the delegacy, leaving the delegacy as an in-game liaison / temporal stable role.

The average life expectancy of a Manson deputy after their appointment is four days. Good luck.
LiberzanEmpire

Post by LiberzanEmpire »

Manson wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 22:13

As I stated on Discord it’s unfair to point to Delegate burnout as the sole cause of resignations but definitely an array of internal and external factors have continuously contributed to the seat being vacated earlier than usual.

The General Secretary, if I’m reading Grim’s proposal correctly, would just pretty much assume all the governmental functions of the delegacy, leaving the delegacy as an in-game liaison / temporal stable role.
So that would mean that the only purpose of the delegate would be as a safeguard against raids, and to vote on World Assembly proposals?

I wonder how TRR feels about having had a 13 year old iPad kid be one of their officers ;P
Manson

Post by Manson »

LiberzanEmpire wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 22:15
Manson wrote:

So that would mean that the only purpose of the delegate would be as a safeguard against raids, and to vote on World Assembly proposals?
I believe so. I’m assuming they’d be given more responsibilities relating to onsite upkeep but that’s just me speculating.

LiberzanEmpire

Post by LiberzanEmpire »

Manson wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 22:55
LiberzanEmpire wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 22:15
Manson wrote:

I believe so. I’m assuming they’d be given more responsibilities relating to onsite upkeep but that’s just me speculating.
Alright. I’m not exactly opposed to that idea.

Giangsang
Nation: Giangsang
Discord: giangsang

Post by Giangsang »

I feel like this suggestion works better with something similar to the Cabinet Reforms proposed during Cat's delegacy.

Let's say there's a reform which states that there are now 3 officers: one internal, one external, and one more flexible appointed officer.

Splitting the roles of the delegate can help the WAD and GS focus on their specific departments, so something can be said for it no longer being necessary to have 4 officers also focusing on the WAD and GS's specific departments. Having one less officer and one officer be appointed would also lessen the problem of "adding more government roles making elections have even fewer participants than they already do."

I don't know how to feel about splitting the HoS and HoG. Just splitting them without more following reforms might help with burnout but would decimate our already low election participation, but reforming the cabinet to work with the new split would probably just make burnout happen again since the WAD/GS still have themself + 4 others helping them, which would make all of this change obsolete.

Theoretically, the best thing to help with burnout would probably be to have a large and loyal staff for each department, but doesn't seem very likely to ever happen.

I am definitely interested in seeing where all this goes, though.
Manson

Post by Manson »

Giangsang wrote:
20 Nov 2023, 00:08
I feel like this suggestion works better with something similar to the Cabinet Reforms proposed during Cat's delegacy.

Let's say there's a reform which states that there are now 3 officers: one internal, one external, and one more flexible appointed officer.

Splitting the roles of the delegate can help the WAD and GS focus on their specific departments, so something can be said for it no longer being necessary to have 4 officers also focusing on the WAD and GS's specific departments. Having one less officer and one officer be appointed would also lessen the problem of "adding more government roles making elections have even fewer participants than they already do."

I don't know how to feel about splitting the HoS and HoG. Just splitting them without more following reforms might help with burnout but would decimate our already low election participation, but reforming the cabinet to work with the new split would probably just make burnout happen again since the WAD/GS still have themself + 4 others helping them, which would make all of this change obsolete.

Theoretically, the best thing to help with burnout would probably be to have a large and loyal staff for each department, but doesn't seem very likely to ever happen.

In the event that activity picks up and our election pool increases, would you advocate for keeping less elected Officer roles and rely more on deputies and staffers or would you prefer to push for bringing back the 4 slots?

Giangsang
Nation: Giangsang
Discord: giangsang

Post by Giangsang »

Manson wrote:
20 Nov 2023, 16:01
Giangsang wrote:
20 Nov 2023, 00:08

In the event that activity picks up and our election pool increases, would you advocate for keeping less elected Officer roles and rely more on deputies and staffers or would you prefer to push for bringing back the 4 slots?
I think that would probably depend on the situation the region will be in at that point in time, it's kinda hard to tell what new kinds of turmoil might exist in advance.

Personally I don't really see the point of bringing back 4 slots in that case. Regarding election activity there would probably still be enough roles to have elections not be too crammed, and if people really want to make change in the region they can always as you said be active staffers or deputies if appointed. It feels rather risky to assume that activity will stay forever since it seems like activity goes up and down unpredictably quite a lot.

That's my take on this atm.
Mad Jack
Nation: Mad Jack is Reject
Discord: St George#1524

Post by Mad Jack »

I don't really see the point in these changes. The system as is appears to work and the 'burn out' I see here isn't anywhere near as bad as in places with more frequent elections, like TNP, where they burn out promising people quickly. The more sedate pace of TRR has proven, in my opinion, better at developing people's talents and bringing them through to high office.

Return to “Discussion”