The Renegade - May/June Edition

Moderators: Salem, Delegate

Acronius

The Renegade - May/June Edition

Post by Acronius »

May/June Edition of the Renegade

Ten years ago, we were founded. Ten years ago, we began our journey...

The 10th anniversary of Renegade Islands Alliance was celebrated in on June 9th, 2014!

The Renegade Awards

In recognition of those who've made this region what it was, we held votes a couple of months ago for the first ever Renegade Awards!

Presented by our Founder Shizensky, here is the Awards Ceremony as it went down:

The votes are in, the winners selected, and the anniversary is here. You'll have to excuse my lack of pretty graphics*, but here are your winners!
*'Pretty graphics' obligingly inserted by Editor

Best Mentor

Our mentors play an incredibly important role in the development of our region. They serve as the first main point of contact for new members, working to integrate them towards becoming successful members of our region.

The winner is, The Church of Satan! CoS came onto the scene fast and heavy, and it showed in the community. CoS wins this award with more than half of the vote. Congrats Church, and thanks for everything!

Most Spamtastic

Senseless posting is a time-hono(u)red tradition in these parts, and it's only natural that the nomination thread for this award was buried under spam.

The winner is... a tie! it probably won't shock anybody that Oxihydronia and Aetaris are both coming out with this award, combining for more the 75% of the vote!

Best Newcomer

This award is for any new member who has positively impacted the RIA. Nominees must have been new to the RIA in the last year. This one was 2-way race, with a few lead changes until the end.

In the end, the vote went to Timothia. Tim was thrust into the position of the RIA's first reboot delegate and he ran with it. This provided a lot of stability that helped us get the region off the ground. He is now serving as our Foreign Affairs Officer, and doing a fantastic job there. Thanks, Tim!

RIASF Sailor of the Year

This award is for the member of the RIA Special Forces whose contributions have aided in our overall mission. Their professionalism and dedication to the cause serves as a shining example of what should be expected from all present and future RIASF sailors.

Please join me in congratulating RIASF Commander Tangaroan Islands, who wins this award with 90% of the votes! Tanga has been a huge asset to the RIASF, and he's made my job unbelievably easier as he becomes more involved in RIASF command decisions. I couldn't do it without you, Tanga!

Honorary Renegade

This award is for any visiting nation or foreign ambassador whose actions have benefited the region. While not a citizen, this person's contributions have positively impacted the region and they have proven themselves as valuable to our community.

This year, we are awarding all 3 of the nominees as Honorary Renegades - Benevolent Thomas, Ananke, and Sauron. Each of them have contributed in so many ways - many of them behind the scenes or through venues not easily accessible to the average member of the region. Who and what we are as a region is only possible because of these three, and I can't express how thankful I am to be able to work with them.

Heart of a Renegade

This award is for the citizen who sets the standard of being a Renegade Islander. This person best represents what it means to be a member of this community. They are the embodiment of the Renegade Islands Alliance.

The winner is... Tierra! Tierra works as hard or harder than anybody in the region. Between the mentors, re-building a recruiting department from scratch, running the RIA family on the side, and keeping me in line, I don't know how she does it all. It's been an absolute delight to know you for the past decade, Ma'am, and I'm glad that there aren't any signs of that slowing down. Congrats again and thank you so much for everything!

The Alumni Award

This award is for an individual who has been a member since the first Renegade Islands Alliance. Their contributions have been invaluable, and without this person it is very likely that the RIA would not exist today.

The winner is... Domino! Domino has been a member from the very start, and I knew him for a few months before the RIA was even a twinkle in any of our eyes. He provided a lot of insight that helped guide the region, and his constant support over the years has helped shape what our region would become today. We couldn't have done it without you, Sir.

Renegade of the Year

This award is for the citizen whose contributions have added the most to our community. The winner of this award will be someone who sets an example for other members of the region to strive for.

*sigh*... I won this one.

I was forced into accepting the nomination for this one. I didn't want it, but Tierra is far too convincing for her own good. Thanks to everybody who voted for me, but more importantly, thanks for voting, and thanks for being here! Honestly, it's a reward in itself just being able to come around and see what this region is and what it turns into. Thank you!

- Shizensky

Skeleton Army Invasion!

As May came to a close, a couple of nations crept mostly-silently into the region. Bone of Contention and Vampiric Kitten, spies from The Skeleton Army, sent home information while under the guise of hunting for the fabled Regal Hamster of the region. Led by the warrior skeleton queen of Ramazakal, the skeletal troops poured into the region mostly-around the appointed invasion time. Despite some initial confusion as to which island they had landed on, the skeleton soldiers and other assorted minions were soon making their way across the Shizensky Straight to the Founder's Island. Along the way the following things occurred:

- Some collateral damage from a staggering elephant
- An incident involving a Flying Garden Tool
- Mud-slinging wait mud-running mud-driving mud-somethinging off the back of a truck
- Tea party was invited to a tea party, but refused.
- Tim was face-palmed by Tea Party for speaking up against the spamming of the RMB
- Skeletal Sauropods were awakened, though turned out to be a generally peaceful bunch
- Various nations of the RIA brought out their best army/space/fighting people to valiantly-but-unnecessarily defend the region
- The nation of Tierra de Madre attempted to contact the nation of Shizensky via nine mediums of contact, but all failed.
- Dolphins flipped over Church of Satan's flagship
- Lots of things were obliterated then put back together again, particularly skeleton heads
- President Mack called upon dark forces, only to realise that dark forces are only to be found in an alternate universe
- The Skeletal Kraken appeared!

Bilge Rat Ronnie summed it up nicely: "I think I might have had too much to drink, you know? It appears everyone is going mudding through a Satanic Church. I stopped some guy from lighting the rose buds on fire. I think he went to find Dennis Miller. Oh, and I'm building a sandman. Isn't he cute?"

Ultimately, the RIA became a willing colony of The Skeleton Army as Shizensky signed the Thighbone of Surrender. Much celebrating was to be had, except for a few rogue islanders who thought we were still at war.

Thanks to The Skeleton Army for their fantastically entertaining visit. We shall remain friends!

Senate Update:

Senate Procedures

This senate terms has been focused on building a foundation for future senators. Several bills have passed which set the rules and expectations for legislative procedures. Senate self-management was also streamlined with legislation that allows the senate to pass legislation regarding their own self governance without needing the full approval of the Grand Council.

RIA History Project

At the request of the Delegate, Lichto, the senate quickly approved a measure to begin a research project around the RIA's history. This project is meant to go alongside the RIA's 10th anniversary. Shizensky is working to gather any information that might have survived the 2006 forum attacks, and is also conducting interviews to fill in some gaps. An early timeline was prepared for the anniversary, but more will be added in this on-going project.

"I would like [House of the Regal Hamster] to work with the Sauropods to document the region's history. This will be done through finding any documents that may have survived the purge, and conducting interviews with as many people as possible to piece things together." says Shizensky.

Great House Updates:

The Hamsters have gone through a recent membership shuffle. Captain Gutt, former house leader, recently left the House. His departure also left a vacant leadership position. Senator Scepez was selected as Gutt's replacement, and he immediately focused the House's attention to focus on releasing a regional news service through the Great House. In other news, Bolive, the newly appointed editor of The Renegade, became House Hamster's newest member. Bolive's editor status fits in well with the House goal of promoting regional news services.

The Kittens have enjoyed recent membership boosts, which will hopefully translate into boosts in activity for the House. We have also been given the opportunity to manage the regional RP boards, which is a great start to increase the house's influence.

There are also on-going negotiations regarding a House alliance, but details cannot be revealed to the public at this time.

Cool things have been happening in House of the Sauropods, as the keepers of education continue to expand the horizons of learning!

- The Lecture Hall has now opened, with the first two lectures up and ready to read.
Come and check out the talk on 'Wilderness Survival' by our guest speaker from XKI, Aersoldorf, or 'Shrunken Heads' from our very own Church of Satan.
- The Centrer of Language Learning (spelling intentional out of respect for the different dialects of English) has been created. Found inside the Study Rooms, this is a place for citizens to practice foreign languages, and help each other in their learning.
- The Archery Dugout has expanded into the Training Grounds, where all forms of physical/battle skills can be explored and developed. Theoretically.
- The RIA Poetry Series has been offering a new competition every three weeks, results posted below. Hosted in the Creative Corner by Tierra de Madre and Sum Esse Fui Futurus, the competitions have been getting a good showing from citizens and visitors alike. The fourth challenge is open for entries now!

Our two senators served their first term with great seriousness and responsibility, and it was with no hesitations that both Church of Satan and Home of the Jacks were re-elected last week. We have welcomed a number of new members since the last update, and look forward to sharing new ideas and fun times with them all!

Results from the RIA Poetry Series:
(Click on the poem titles to read the winning entries).

The First Poetry Competition:
Spoiler: click to toggle
by Captain Gutt
2nd place Tangaron Islands
3rd place Sum Esse Fui Futurus

The Second Poetic Challenge:
by Aersoldorf
2nd place Timothia
3rd place Sum Esse Fui Futurus

Thrice Challenged by Verse:
by Shizensky
2nd Lichto
3rd Bolive

Four Score of Skeletons - Now open for entries!

RIASF:

The RIASF is working to continue our mission of protecting what regions we can across NationStates.

Tangaroan Islands has been promoted to Commander of the RIASF, and has been assigned the Minor Update Command Post. Tanga's dedication and abilities have served as a fine example of what should be expected from all RIASF sailors. Congratulations to Tanga, and thanks for everything!

Members of the RIASF have also been working more closely with Ravania in recent days, and as a result our sailors have received UDL awards. The St Abbaddon Liberation Ribbon and UDL Spring Cleaning Medal have been awarded to our sailors for their contributions. We thank Ravania for the chance to participate in the Spring Cleaning initiative, as the experience provided useful training opportunities for our new recruits.

Population Update:

The RIA has continued to show healthy growth, though mostly through the efforts (and spare change) of Shizensky. However, never fear! The Immigration Department has begun its reformation, and will soon be sending out the next generation of top recruiters! The Department now also includes the Mentoring Team, as these two areas will be so closely linked in their day to day work. An exciting development for the region indeed!

Current population: 311
With possibly a few skeleton spies still hanging around...

Return to “Renegade Islands Alliance”