Cultural Event Library

Where the Officers and others plot to keep the region active.

Moderators: LiberzanEmpire, Delegate

Deadeye Jack
Discord: Mad-Eye Jack#6068

Cultural Event Library

Post by Deadeye Jack »

The Rejected Realms Cultural Event Library Purpose

This is meant to be a public resource for the region that details games and events that we've run in the past and provides instructions on how to run those. Let the information guide you in helping you bring fun and activity to the region. The games and events will be divided up based on the medium they can be done on: Forums, Discord, and NationStates. Some will fit into multiple categories.

Anyone is allowed to and encouraged to add a post that details a cultural activity we have run in the past or when we run something new in the future.

Forum Activities
Werewolf
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Spyfall
Rejectvision
Writing Contest
Book Club
The Resistance
Meme Contest

Discord Activities
Popmaster
Werewolf (bot)
Codenames
Diplomacy
Spyfall

NationStates Activities
Writing Contest
Flag Contest
Shared Storytelling
Rejectvision
Meme Contest
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms

Manson told me to put these in my signature:
Deadeye Jack

Re: Cultural Event Library

Post by Deadeye Jack »

Spyfall

This is a game that can be played either on the forum or on discord with the help of a separate website.

The game is called Spyfall and how it works is all the players except one are told the secret location out of 20 listed locations. That one person is the spy. Players take turns asking questions to other players that help them to figure out who knows the secret location and who doesn’t. However they must be careful not to be too obvious, because at any time the spy can declare themselves and guess what the secret location is. If they are right, the spy wins! The rest of the players win if the spy guesses wrong or if they open a vote and unanimously determine who the spy is.

The official game rules can be found here, but there will be some tweaks to adapt to the forum.

Rules
  • A list of twenty different locations will be provided.
  • Every player will be messaged their role. The good guys will be told the secret location, the spy will not be.
  • A randomly selected player will be chosen to ask the first question (usually vaguely about the location) to another player. For example "Frattastan, how is the weather?"
  • The player who just answered the question can then ask a question to any other player except the person who just asked them a question.
  • At any time, a player can pause the round and accuse another player of being the spy. If everyone except the accused player unanimously agrees, that will be the final vote. If the accused player is the spy the good guys win. If not, the spy wins.
  • Players can only make one accusation each during the round.
  • At any time, the spy can show themselves and guess the secret location. If the spy is correct, the spy wins. If not, the spy loses.
  • If by the end of the round no one has won the game, the player who was randomly selected to start the game can discuss their suspicions with everyone and put forward an accusation of someone as the spy. If everyone agrees that will be the guess for the spy. If it’s wrong the spy wins. If everyone cannot agree on the first accusation, the next player will have a chance to make their accusation.
  • The round ends after the amount of questions asked is equal to 2 X the number of players. For example if there are 7 players the round ends after 14 questions.
Set Up and Locations

Games should not consist of more than 12 players. If more than 12 people sign up split the group in half for different games. Once you know everyone who is playing you can randomly generate who the spy is. You should notify the spy that they are indeed the spy via PM and let all the non spies know what secret location is via individual PMs as well.

There are 27 Spyfall locations provided by the official game below. However, if whoever runs the game wants to, they can come up with a special theme and a list of special locations (for example, Harry Potter themed with different locations around Hogwarts).

Click for List of All Spyfall Locations

Playing On Discord

The game works pretty much the same way as it would on the forum except all the players go onto the website: https://spyfall.crabhat.com/k7w9lw/

When you start a game, the website will pick out who is the spy and what the location is and you can tell on the screen of that website depending on your role. Players will ask questions to each other on discord until time runs out or until someone makes a guess as to who the spy is or what the secret location is.

Deadeye Jack

Post by Deadeye Jack »

Popmaster
Popmaster is a game in which clips of songs are played and people must guess the title of the song and the artist and are awarded points if they are the first.

How It Works

There are 3 rounds with their own categories, with 10 songs each. Categories can be either genre specific or theme specific such as, pop, rock and the 90s. Hosts should have their songs ready ahead of the event!

The first person to say the artist or song title gets 1 point. If the same person gets both they get 3 points. Once someone guesses correctly you can let the song play as you tally the score. After each round the scores for each participant are tallied and the person with the highest round score gets to choose a song to be played before the next round begins.

Bot Commands

Popmaster is run with the help of Groovy, a music bot in the TRR Discord server. Only the host will have access to a secret room to input the bot commands so that the participants will not see what songs are being entered for the bot to play.
  • -play [urls here]
  • -pause
  • -resume
Other Helpful Tools

Ever Wandering Souls/Harenhime created a couple spreadsheets to help keep track of the overall score for all Popmasters and to keep track of what songs have been used before. Hosts should update the below spreadsheets after they finish the latest Popmaster.

Song List: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Scorekeeping: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Deadeye Jack

Post by Deadeye Jack »

Rejectvision
Rejectvision is a competition a lot like Eurovision but each player will submit a song that they like instead of performing a song themselves.Everyone who submits a song is expected to vote on the other entries by assigning points based on preference. The player/song with the highest score wins the competition.

Setting it Up

The organizer should create a thread on the forum complete with an introduction to the contest and important deadlines. There should also be a dispatch version created. This contest is supposed to cater to both the gameside and offsite community.

People can submit songs by filling out the below template and posting it in the forum thread or sending a telegram to the organizer's nation.

Code: Select all

Nation/Common Alias : 
Song Title:
Artist:
Link To Song (eg-Youtube):
People have a week to submit a song to the contest. After that time is over a full list of all songs in the competition should be created and voting instructions should be provided to all participants gameside and forumside in the manner in which they entered the competition.

Voting works as follows. You will rank songs according to the below template. Your favorite song will be given the highest points and so on and you will choose 5 alternate songs in case of a ranked song entry being disqualified due to failure to vote. For instance if a song you gave 5 points to was disqualified, everything on your list below that would move up 1 spot. When you vote for an entry please vote by the name of the entrant nation/alias, not the name of the song or song artist. Also you can't vote for yourself and voting is not supposed to be done publicly.

Code: Select all

12 points - Top Choice
10 points 
8 points
6 points
5 points
4 points
3 points
2 points
1 point

1st Alternate
2nd Alternate
3rd Alternate
4th Alternate
5th Alternate
Votes can be submitted to the organizer via discord, forum PM or telegram to their nation.

Once all votes are received by the deadline, points are tallied up and the winner is declared. You can have a little ceremony if you want but it's not required.

That's basically all there is to it. You can look at this thread to see one edition of the contest from start to finish.

Deadeye Jack

Post by Deadeye Jack »

Writing Contest

This is a relatively easy contest to run, that can be done on the forum, on NationStates, or both.

Setup

Provide a writing prompt for the contest. Make it general enough so that people can put their own spin on it but specific enough that people are writing about the same general thing. As an example, for Halloween, our writing contest prompt was : "Write a short story set in your nation during the [zombie] outbreak?"

You should also set a word count. My recommendation is 400-1000 words. Short stories are better suited for wider participation because, people know they aren't expected to write a complex novel. Also depending on the time frame of the contest, it's hard for people to write long stories in a short amount of time.

Lastly set a time period for submissions. 4-7 days should be sufficient.

Once you have the prompt and rules you just need to write an announcement for the contest that you can post on the forum and create a dispatch for so that we can advertise it on multiple platforms.

Deciding the Winner

This can happen one of two ways: have a committee select the winner or have an open poll to select the winner like we do in avatar contests. For the Halloween writing contest, the Delegate and Officers decided the winner but a poll might also work well.

Deadeye Jack

Post by Deadeye Jack »

Shared Storytelling Shared Storytelling is when a group of people each contribute to the same narrative either a few words, a sentence or a paragraph at a time. This can be done on a forum or on a regional message board.

Setup

- Figure out the length of posts you want from participants
- Choose when you want to hold the event and how long you want it to last. (A few days to a week)
- Choose where you want to hold the event
- Create a Dispatch and advertise the event

Rules
  • When adding to the story, quote the previous entry and add a number. This is so we can keep track of the stories in a logical way. For example
  • Don't double post for the story
  • Please keep things PG-13 and follow site rules!
  • Please do not ruin either story with implausible events and try to stay within the story's universe
  • Have fun!
At the end of the event you can compile each entry into the full story.

Here is a dispatch of the first time we ran this event: https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1168355

Deadeye Jack

Post by Deadeye Jack »

The Avatar Contest is a long running, simple contest, started in TRR by Catalyse.

How it Works

A theme is chosen and people who want to participate will change the avatar of their forum profile and post the image in the Avatar Contest thread. After some time, submissions are closed and a voting thread is created with a poll allowing people to choose a few of their favorites out of all the choices. The poll should last for a few days and the person with the most votes is the winner and gets to choose the next theme.

Avatar Contest Thread: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=10015588
Sample Voting Thread: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=10030425

Deadeye Jack

Post by Deadeye Jack »

Codenames
Codenames is a word game that can be organized on discord with the help of this website: http://www.syeedibnfaiz.com/codenames/

How it Works

You must split the group of players into two teams as evenly as possible, Red Team and Blue Team. Each team has a Spymaster and the Spymasters are in charge of giving out the clues. The game board is split into a 5X5 board of cards with words on them. Each card on the board falls into one of 4 categories: a word that red team is trying to guess, a word that blue team is trying to guess, a neutral card, and an assassin card that ends the game and causes the team that guesses it to lose the game.

The Spymasters take turns giving clues that would help their team guess the words they have to in order to win. Clues must be 1 word and not contain any of the words on the board. Clues will also say how many words the clue is for. For example a Spymaster might give the clue Water 2, if its team needs to guess Lake and River on the board. The Spymaster's team, must take at least one guess per round but if it doesn't feel sure about the other words for the clue it can pass the rest of its turn to the next team. If a team guesses as many of their words as the Spymaster numbers in the clue, then that team earns a bonus guess if they so choose. There is no number limit you can give in your clue. First team to guess all its words without uncovering the assassin wins the game.

Setting up the Board

- One of the Spymasters will need to set up the board by going to the website: http://www.syeedibnfaiz.com/codenames/
- Click create game
- Select 5 rows, 5 columns, 1 assassin and English as the language. Then click create
- At the top of the page, there will be two buttons, a link for Spymasters and a link for everyone else.
- Give the Spymaster link to the other Spymaster (this shows which words are red, blue, neutral and assassin) and give the "link for others" to everyone else (this is the board with all the words as gray)
- As the teams guess words, the Spymasters should click the words on their link to keep track of what has been guessed and that will update the link for everyone else as well.

Deadeye Jack

Post by Deadeye Jack »

Flag Contest

How it Works

A theme is chosen and people who want to participate will change the flag of their nation and telegram the image to the contest runner, stating their intention to participate. After some time, submissions are closed and the winner is selected. This can be done one of two ways. Either there is a judges panel that selects the winner or there can be a poll hosted on Nationstates allowing everyone to vote for their favorite.

Deadeye Jack

Post by Deadeye Jack »

Book Club
Book club is one of our premier pseudo-intellectual events. To make it easier for people to participate we try to limit things to short stories around 5 pages so it doesn't take a lot of time to read and then ultimately discuss as a group. If you'd like to he make a suggestion for what to read you can post in the suggestion thread. After a week of reading we can discuss the story. It helps if you have some discussion questions prepared.

Short Story Suggestion Thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=10029966
The Rejected Book Club: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=10029907

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Meme Contest Guide
The meme contest is fairly simple to run. Follow the rules of the dates in the rules thing posted below. So far, memes are submitted in private. I use a channel in my private discord server to keep them organized, but I don't have a computer. Could also easily create a private photo folder. Jack and I have discussed trying to run the meme contest for three days submissions and then three days for voting.

Once it's time to start the voting, post the memes with the names of who submitted them.

Current meme contest rules.
Spoiler: click to toggle

The meme king banner:
Spoiler: click to toggle
Awards and Stuff!
click me
Deadeye Jack

Post by Deadeye Jack »

The Resistance

The Resistance is a hidden-traitor type game like Werewolf/Mafia that is playable with 5 to 10 people. The Resistance are a group of freedom-fighters trying to topple corrupt, big business – run government oppression in a dystopian future. The Resistance fighters are trying to complete missions to achieve this goal. However, among the Resistance the government has implanted spies who can sabotage the missions. If the Resistance successfully completes 3 out of 5 missions they win the game, but if not the spies win.

Setup

* means there must be 2 fails in that round

- The person running the game should open sign ups for a few days
- From the pool of players you divide the players up randomly into teams of resistance fighters and spies based on the 1st table.
- Each resistance fighter should be personally messaged their role on the forum. They are not to be told who are the other resistance members or spies.
- The spies should be informed of their role and made aware of who the other spies are.

Rules

- Once everyone signs up they will be placed in a randomly ordered list. The first person on the list is the first Mission Leader.
- The Mission Leader is responsible for picking an amount of people from the group of players that corresponds to the mission list and the number of players. So if there were 5 players and it was the first mission, the Leader would pick 2 players to go on the first mission.
- Once the team for the mission is picked, everyone votes on whether or not they want that team to attempt the mission. If a majority of the votes are in favor of attempting the mission with that team, then the mission is attempted. If not the next person on the list becomes Mission leader and proposes a new team. If 5 mission leaders fail to get a team passed to attempt the mission then the mission is automatically failed and we move onto the next mission.
- Once a team is sent on a mission, they will be prompted by the person running the game to individually message them telling them whether they want the mission to fail or succeed. Regular resistance members would only want the missions to succeed. Spies can either fail or succeed a mission.
- Whichever team wins the majority of the missions wins the game.
- Team Phase: Will last ~48 hour or until all votes are locked in.
Mission Phase: Will last ~24 hours.

Useful links:

Video of the game being played: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_QRczGzXqw
Wikipedia of the game rules: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Resistance_(game)

Return to “Culture Office”