Freedom of speech [split from Wintercrest Embassy]

Good-tempered discussion of the real world.

Moderators: LiberzanEmpire, Delegate

Christian Democrats

Post by Christian Democrats »

Malden Atoll -Wintercrest wrote:
09 Feb 2017, 13:56
Culturally and socially, Wintercrest is open to all people of all backgrounds
This sounds great, but . . .
Malden Atoll -Wintercrest wrote:
09 Feb 2017, 13:56
Wintercrest does not tolerate racism, religious hatred, homophobia, transphobia, and other hateful forms of speech.
You suppress free speech?

So you're not open to all people of all backgrounds.
Guy wrote:
10 Feb 2017, 01:27
I applaud your decision to ban hate speech, which is not only consistent with but required in order to be open to people of all backgrounds.
Yes, banning people is required for being open to all people. :dizzy:
"I was born free and desire to continue so."

thechurchofsatan

Post by thechurchofsatan »

I don't think another region's embassy is the place for an impromptu debate on the ethics of banning hate speech.

Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History
Guy

Post by Guy »

Agreed. Apologies, Malden Atoll.
Christian Democrats

Guy wrote:
10 Feb 2017, 07:26
Why was the first post moved?

Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Christian Democrats wrote:
10 Feb 2017, 11:46
Guy wrote:
You were going to trigger someone. duh.
Who am I? Ryno, protector of regions, great unicorn soldier, fighter for NS purity, and bringer of greatness to TRR.
#notmywords
Christian Democrats

Ryno wrote:
10 Feb 2017, 12:01
Christian Democrats wrote:
10 Feb 2017, 11:46
Guy wrote:
You were going to trigger someone. duh.
I know. Saying that a single-party state is undemocratic by definition or that banning people with disagreeable opinions* from your group is inconsistent with "open[ness] to all people of all backgrounds" might offend totalitarians.

* Even if those opinions have been expressed in a manner not violative of NationStates/ZetaBoards' terms.

Guy

Post by Guy »

There's a reason it's here - for discussion.

I don't see this discussion as appropriate, nor frankly germane, to the embassy. We have to be mindful of whether debating other regions' policies with them in their embassies is a good precedent to set, especially when it has nothing to do with TRR.

Further posts in the embassy will be dealt with accordingly
Catalyse
Nation: Catalyse

Post by Catalyse »

I'm pretty sure the "one-party state" thing is just a theme. In practice, a dictatorial themed region can still have democratically elected positions.
Formerly former things.
Christian Democrats

Guy wrote:
10 Feb 2017, 12:18
There's a reason it's here - for discussion.

I don't see this discussion as appropriate, nor frankly germane, to the embassy. We have to be mindful of whether debating other regions' policies with them in their embassies is a good precedent to set, especially when it has nothing to do with TRR.

Further posts in the embassy will be dealt with accordingly
I'm not free to question a message that an ambassador posts in an embassy?

Guy

Post by Guy »

No, there is no such categorical rule proscribing us from engaging with ambassadors in their embassies. But embassies, in practice, are essentially for exchanges of communiques. A RL debate on the merits of limitations on speech, framed as an attack on the region's ideals, is not an appropriate usage of an embassy.

On reflection, I will wait for another Admin before definitively ruling it off-topic.
Christian Democrats

I'm fine with you splitting my second post, but the first post should be restored.

Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Weyes wrote:
I'm pretty sure the "one-party state" thing is just a theme. In practice, a dictatorial themed region can still have democratically elected positions.
So it's really a no party state?
Who am I? Ryno, protector of regions, great unicorn soldier, fighter for NS purity, and bringer of greatness to TRR.
#notmywords
Catalyse
Nation: Catalyse

Post by Catalyse »

Ryno wrote:
10 Feb 2017, 12:43
Weyes wrote:
I'm not familiar with Wintercrest, but I assume a one party state theme implies that the region in itself is run by one party and that when running for office you're actually running for a party office, i.e the region is led by the politburo of the party rather than an independent cabinet.

It really depends what you mean "party" in the NS contest. I'm sure dissenting opinions are still allowed in Wintercrest such as they are here in TRR, which is a no-party state, but they just exist within their theme.
Formerly former things.
frattastan
Discord: frattastan#2205

Post by frattastan »

@ Christian Democrats: you can repost the first part (on the one-party system), if it's meant to gather more information on the region, or question its compatibility of a one-party system with a liberal democratic order, but I'd rather not end up with a debate on the extent of freedom of speech. You can have that discussion here, if you like.
In this world there are two kinds of people: those with loaded guns and those who dig. I dig.
Christian Democrats

frattastan wrote:
10 Feb 2017, 21:54
@ Christian Democrats: you can repost the first part (on the one-party system), if it's meant to gather more information on the region, or question its compatibility of a one-party system with a liberal democratic order, but I'd rather not end up with a debate on the extent of freedom of speech. You can have that discussion here, if you like.
Would you mind splitting off the first post and merging it back into its original thread?

Then, feel free to edit the new first post of this thread so that the context is clear.

frattastan
Discord: frattastan#2205

Post by frattastan »

I left your comments on suppression of speech in the original topic since there were other replies and references to it, but any discussion on that matter should continue here.
In this world there are two kinds of people: those with loaded guns and those who dig. I dig.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Weyes wrote:
10 Feb 2017, 21:45
Ryno wrote:
10 Feb 2017, 12:43
Weyes wrote:
I'm not familiar with Wintercrest, but I assume a one party state theme implies that the region in itself is run by one party and that when running for office you're actually running for a party office, i.e the region is led by the politburo of the party rather than an independent cabinet.

It really depends what you mean "party" in the NS contest. I'm sure dissenting opinions are still allowed in Wintercrest such as they are here in TRR, which is a no-party state, but they just exist within their theme.
Oh, I was thinking that theme meant for show only. If the party allows radical disagreements then they are no party at all and are truly a no party state. So the question is do they have to adhere to standards to obtain office? I guess I'd have to ask them that though.
#notmywords

Return to “The Peanut Gallery”