Voting

Good-tempered discussion of the real world.

Moderators: LiberzanEmpire, Delegate

Should I not post threads like this when I need to sleep?

Yes Edit
9%
No Edit
9%
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Edit
27%
Zombies Edit
9%
I voted! Edit
18%
Don't sleep! Ever! Edit
27%

Total votes: 11

Ryno

Voting

Post by Ryno »

So elections are coming up here and I was planning on voting (Absentee as I don't like going to the polls), but then I never filled out the form to do so. Mostly because I don't feel like it. So I am not going to be voting this time around.

I also don't feel like looking up info about anyone running for the elections. Plus most of the people running are in those two parties that I hate. Sometimes I just get tired of it. I think it helps to not vote sometimes.

So what does everyone think about elections?

Should people vote every election?

Does anyone else think the republican and democrat parties deserve to be destroyed?

Anyone want to defend these two parties?

Why am I doing this? (I'll try to figure this one out after I sleep)

Oh and if I feel like it I'll tell you what I think they should do to the two parties if they don't feel like destroying them. If you want to know though. :riot:

Also you can talk about any countries election stuff. Just don't expect me to know stuff about them.
Who am I? Ryno, protector of regions, great unicorn soldier, fighter for NS purity, and bringer of greatness to TRR.
#notmywords
Zyonn

Voting

Post by Zyonn »

I'm not American but I didn't vote in the recent municipal elections my city (Ottawa) just had. I usually try to make an informed and rational decision based on the platform of the candidate, but I didn't have time for all that this go around.

I think the two-party binary in the States is weird. In Canada, we have the left-right binary, but our right has a mega-party, and the left is fractured - Liberal, New Democrate, and to a lesser extent, Green. It seems to me we are being run with an iron fist by the mega right-wing party, when more people are left wing. I've long since given up on thinking my vote counts (I still do it for kicks) because my party doesn't have a prayer, but I volunteer and contribute financially when I can.

I may be a little jaded.
EAT MY PHOTONS, SMALL-HEADS!
Ryno

Voting

Post by Ryno »

Yeah, here I just feel like I am forced to pick from two groups who I clearly don't fit in with. It feels like picking between two bad options most of the time. I vote for third party candidates frequently, but those votes are wastes. I don't know what people see in those two parties.

I mostly just vote just to have my say. Even if it'll be worthless. At least I tried. Of course often there are no third parties running for a position, so I get to pick the shiniest turd.

Sometimes I think everyone here deserves the two party system exactly as is. I mean it is kind of funny when both sides fight and get nothing done. Then you get to see all their little supporters mock the crap out of each other. The two parties are a joke and no one sees it.
Who am I? Ryno, protector of regions, great unicorn soldier, fighter for NS purity, and bringer of greatness to TRR.
#notmywords
Guy

Voting

Post by Guy »

Zyonn wrote:
17 Nov 2014, 01:11
I'm not American but I didn't vote in the recent municipal elections my city (Ottawa) just had. I usually try to make an informed and rational decision based on the platform of the candidate, but I didn't have time for all that this go around.

I think the two-party binary in the States is weird. In Canada, we have the left-right binary, but our right has a mega-party, and the left is fractured - Liberal, New Democrate, and to a lesser extent, Green. It seems to me we are being run with an iron fist by the mega right-wing party, when more people are left wing. I've long since given up on thinking my vote counts (I still do it for kicks) because my party doesn't have a prayer, but I volunteer and contribute financially when I can.

I may be a little jaded.
It's really quite dependent on the electoral system used. First Past The Post constituencies will advantage whichever party is the largest, rather than appeals to most voters. Has there been any discussion there to change it? I remember reading about Senate reform there, but not so much voting system.
Ike

Voting

Post by Ike »

Zyonn wrote:
17 Nov 2014, 01:11

I may be a little jaded.
OI YOU LIVE IN OTTAWA

THAT'S COOL MATE

WE'RE ONLY A FEW KILOMETRES APART... PROBABLY.
James III, rightful heir to the throne of Great Britain.
(Not associated with CD)
Campinia

Voting

Post by Campinia »

I live in a country with compulsory voting so I have voted in every single election since turning 18. I would've done so either way, but it's not like I have much choice :P
Officer of the Lazarene Liberation Army
UDL Chief of Security
FRA Rangers Master Sergeant
FRA Representative for San Francisco Bay Area
Libetarian Republics
Nation: Libetarian Republics
Discord: LR#2079

Voting

Post by Libetarian Republics »

The two party system, from what I recalled, was really meant to stabilize American politics by discouraging radical views and encouraging either parties to broaden their voting block by moderating their positions, ensuring they get a majority of the population's support. An example of this would be the battle for the growing Hispanic population, one of the most conservative ethnic groups, favoring the Democratic Party due to immigration positions. However, in a time where the culture war is so prevailing, the two party system has demised to its current state by feeding only to the extreme views rather than attempting to moderate.
Kogvuron

Voting

Post by Kogvuron »

I plan on voting Libertarian in the next general election when I am eligible to vote. I agree with the Republicans on most things but can't endorse their horrible social policies. I could vote for a socially liberal Republican candidate though
Christian Democrats

Voting

Post by Christian Democrats »

Two weeks ago, I voted for Republicans in all but two elections.
"I was born free and desire to continue so."

Ryno

Voting

Post by Ryno »

Campinia wrote:
17 Nov 2014, 15:37
I live in a country with compulsory voting so I have voted in every single election since turning 18. I would've done so either way, but it's not like I have much choice :P
I couldn't do that. I need a break every so often.
Libetarian Republics wrote:
17 Nov 2014, 17:45
The two party system, from what I recalled, was really meant to stabilize American politics by discouraging radical views and encouraging either parties to broaden their voting block by moderating their positions, ensuring they get a majority of the population's support. An example of this would be the battle for the growing Hispanic population, one of the most conservative ethnic groups, favoring the Democratic Party due to immigration positions. However, in a time where the culture war is so prevailing, the two party system has demised to its current state by feeding only to the extreme views rather than attempting to moderate.
I've actually thought of a way to fix the US's two party system. Without destroying the two parties. Not sure if it'd work though. It should I think, but even the best ideas can be ruined.
Kogvuron wrote:
17 Nov 2014, 23:29
I plan on voting Libertarian in the next general election when I am eligible to vote. I agree with the Republicans on most things but can't endorse their horrible social policies. I could vote for a socially liberal Republican candidate though
The Republican party has so many cringe worthy candidates it's sad. Good luck finding one worthy of your vote.

#notmywords
Kogvuron

Voting

Post by Kogvuron »

Ryno wrote:
18 Nov 2014, 08:18
Kogvuron wrote:
17 Nov 2014, 23:29
The Republican party has so many cringe worthy candidates it's sad. Good luck finding one worthy of your vote.
Agreed, but I figure in 10 or so years the Republicans will have to become more progressive as the country does
Guy

Voting

Post by Guy »

I'm actually not sure I agree with that. While it's commonly thought that the "wine coalition" - well educated liberal voters, minorities, and lower SES white voters in certain states - is the way forward for Democrats, that coalition is entirely dependent on Hispanic voters. Once the US fixes up its immigration mess, many of them will stop voting Dem. A far more sustainable long-term pitch, where the Republican Party is even more off-centre (see: the minimum wage initiatives) is economic policy - aka the "beer coalition". Now the Dems just have to come up with a way to attract those voters based on policy rather than party identity (and racial politics) while staying reasonably progressive, more so than the Rs.
Christian Democrats

Voting

Post by Christian Democrats »

To add to Guy's analysis, Democrats also might be losing ground among Asians, which is not a good sign for that party.

http://www.cnn.com/election/2014/result ... exit-polls

Behind Hispanics, Asians are the fastest growing ethnic group in the United States.

In the future, the Democratic Party might be left only with blacks and with white liberals.
"I was born free and desire to continue so."

John G

Voting

Post by John G »

Ryno wrote:
17 Nov 2014, 10:32
Yeah, here I just feel like I am forced to pick from two groups who I clearly don't fit in with. It feels like picking between two bad options most of the time. I vote for third party candidates frequently, but those votes are wastes. I don't know what people see in those two parties.

I mostly just vote just to have my say. Even if it'll be worthless. At least I tried. Of course often there are no third parties running for a position, so I get to pick the shiniest turd.

Sometimes I think everyone here deserves the two party system exactly as is. I mean it is kind of funny when both sides fight and get nothing done. Then you get to see all their little supporters mock the crap out of each other. The two parties are a joke and no one sees it.
That's it, and I will say most of your countrymen feel the same. What kills me about the two party system is the fact we have three classes of people! The upper class, the middle class and the lower class... Our two current parties only worry about the lower class at election time, while taking donations from the upper class and lobbies, PACS and other shysters... And are soon to forget the poor lower class masses that voted them into office. We desperately need a party that represents the lower class.

Remember, rich people never riot, the poor do..
Always seek the council of wise men. They have the experience and the restraint needed to survive crisis.
Ryno

Voting

Post by Ryno »

Yeah I want a big change to our party system. I really hope it'll happen. I also think it really could happen in the near future. Then again there are a lot of people who benefit from the current system.
#notmywords
Spartan Termopylae

Voting

Post by Spartan Termopylae »

In all honesty, multi-party politics isn't that much different. Look at the UK. 3 main parties: Labour, Conservative, and Liberal Democrat. Smaller parties in the Greens, UKIP, BNP and more. Local national parties like the snp, Plaid Cymru, Sinn Fein and the SDLP. Apart from in the devolved legislatures in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, it's only ever really the big 3 that get many seats. Last few elections, the Lib Dems have been lucky to get more than 20. Couple of years ago, they only had 8 seats. The SNP had all but 3 of the Scottish seats in Westminster. Both situations have turned somewhat, but in the least 20 years, it's really just been a competition between Labour and the Conservatives. Which coincided with Labour moving more towards the political centre, the moderate end of the left wing. With its current leader, it's shifted back to the left (too much so, in my opinion) which makes it easier for a confident Tory leader to win. So even with all of our political parties, it still ends up being a two horse race
The written word is one of the most precious things known to man.

We have barely reached a point where most appreciate this.

Wr addre nearing the point where were loose this
Guy

Voting

Post by Guy »

You don't have a proportional electoral system, though. That you have any more than two parties is what's impressive (though mostly caused by regionalism).
Spartan Termopylae

Voting

Post by Spartan Termopylae »

I'm firmly against pr. Pr let's the fringe loony parties get a foot in. Like what happened in the 30s in a particular country in western/central Europe and a not particularly popular party entered power, sending the world on a road to the deaths of many millions and the suffering of many, many millions more
The written word is one of the most precious things known to man.

We have barely reached a point where most appreciate this.

Wr addre nearing the point where were loose this

Return to “The Peanut Gallery”