Tunisian Museum Shooting/Recent Terrorism in General

Good-tempered discussion of the real world.

Moderators: LiberzanEmpire, Delegate

dogeisland

Post by dogeisland »

Well, another terrorist attack yesterday. 20 dead after a shooting at a museum in Tunisia. Several more injured. My condolences go out to the families of the victims. Two gunmen opened fire on a bus that was dropping off tourists at the museum. It worries me. I mean, what's next? What happens if things like that start happening here in America? I mean, yeah there have been things that have happened in the past, but not in my time. Not since I can remember. Sure there was New Town, but that was one guy, and he didn't belong to ISIS. Or there was the school shooting at Millard South High School, where the principal and VP were killed in 2012, and that's only a 45 minute drive from here, but again, the guy wasn't a terrorist. Anyway. You guys can post your thoughts here on this thread. I donno. I just felt like having a conversation about this type of thing. And also the shooting spree yesterday in Phoenix. And another thing that was close. In August 2013, there was a man who killed four people in Omaha, which is the same city Millard South is in, but that guy was just crazy. Anyway. If you guys have any thoughts to post, go ahead. I just sorta started rambling. Sorry.
Dr. Doge
Spartan Termopylae

Post by Spartan Termopylae »

I lived most of the first half of my life under the threat of terrorism. I lived, and still do but in a different place, in a town no more than an hour away from 2 serious bombings, though quite how no one died in the second is beyond me. The the IRA scale down, the threat recedes. Then we had 7/7, and although that was at the opposite end of the country, it signalled a return to potential attacks on the mainland, if from a different source. Add in what happened to Lee Rigby and it's a frightening prospect. It's a scary scary world. I thank the gods that we have one of the premier intelligence agencies in the world, plus probably the best counter-terrorist force
The written word is one of the most precious things known to man.

We have barely reached a point where most appreciate this.

Wr addre nearing the point where were loose this
dogeisland

Post by dogeisland »

Where are you from, man?
Dr. Doge
Christian Democrats

Post by Christian Democrats »

His post says the IRA. :P
"I was born free and desire to continue so."

Gruenberg

Post by Gruenberg »

dogeisland wrote:
19 Mar 2015, 17:37
What happens if things like that start happening here in America?
Does the US have a border with Libya?
Guy

Post by Guy »

That's never really been an impediment before, Gruenberg. 9/11, London, Madrid?

Ofc we are more likely to see lone wolf attacks, but still.
Spartan Termopylae

Post by Spartan Termopylae »

Dogeisland, at the time I lived in Cheshire in the UK, near to Liverpool and Manchester in the north west.
The written word is one of the most precious things known to man.

We have barely reached a point where most appreciate this.

Wr addre nearing the point where were loose this
dogeisland

Post by dogeisland »

Gruenberg wrote:
22 Mar 2015, 10:21
dogeisland wrote:
19 Mar 2015, 17:37
What happens if things like that start happening here in America?
Does the US have a border with Libya?
I really hope that wasn't a serious question.

Ah. I see.
Dr. Doge
Zyonn

Post by Zyonn »

It really gets to me when this happens, thinking about people (especially children) who are killed and terrorized so senselessly, but I'm not too worried about it coming to North America on a large scale. Sometimes I wonder if I'm not worried enough - it's easy to forget we're at war when we're still able to go about our day to day lives without worry. The city I live in, Ottawa, was shut down for a day back in October when our Parliament buildings were attacked by a lone gunman. It scared the hell out of me, especially when cellular service went down from overload and I couldn't reach my friends downtown, partner included. But now that things are back to normal, when I hear of ISIS threatening to attack Canada again I'm only mildly concerned.
EAT MY PHOTONS, SMALL-HEADS!

Return to “The Peanut Gallery”