Best Books: True History

A forum for reviews and discussion of games, books, music, film and other such things.

Moderators: LiberzanEmpire, Delegate

Spartan Termopylae

Best Books: True History

Post by Spartan Termopylae »

This is a topic for discussion of books recounting actual history, real history. Not fiction based on historic events. I don't know how many people here are as interested in yhe subject of history as I am, but I'd like to know, and share some of the things I have enjoyed reading.

I'll start with a trio of books by the late historian John Julius Norwich, focusing on the history of what is today known as the Byzantine Empire. Starting with Byzantium: The Early Centuries, he recounts the history of the Eastern Roman Empire from shortly before Constantine became Emperor, through his foundation of the great city of Constantinople, and this volume ends around 600 years later, with the crowning of Charlemagne by Rome around 800 AD. The second, The Apogee, covers a shorter period, picking up at that point and going on until shortly after Manzikert near the end of the 11th Century. The final volume, The Decline and Fall, picks up with the accession of Alexios I and the First Crusade, and continues until the last remnants of the empire fall to the Ottomans in the 1450s.

I first read A Short History of Byzantium, which is this series compressed into one volume. With it being less detailed, I decided to pick up the rest, to get fuller accounts of everything featured. And i loved it. I found that each of the three volumes is incredibly well written and accessible. The majority of unusual terms are explained, and it doesn't feel like an innate knowledge of the period is required. Indeed, I'd say it's done in a way that could appeal to people who aren't academically minded, who just want to read for personal knowledge. Incredibly accessible. Well worth it, as it isn't a dry, dusty text for students, but a lovely account of some remarkable people, heroic people, and despicable tyrants.

Does anyone else have a suggestion?
The written word is one of the most precious things known to man.

We have barely reached a point where most appreciate this.

Wr addre nearing the point where were loose this
Nequedum
Nation: Glacikaldr
Discord: Nequedum#1716

Re: Best Books: True History

Post by Nequedum »

Marcus Aurelius's Meditations was mostly written while he was on campaign. Might be of interest to you, and you can get it free online.
Spartan Termopylae

May well have a look. I have also read Suetonius' 12 Ceasars, Ceasar's Gallic War, and Anna Komnena's Alexiad. All well worth picking up. I also recently bought Herodotus' Histories. I may have Appian somewhere, possibly some Tacitus, though i wouldn't mind a bit of Polybius

frattastan
Discord: frattastan#2205

Post by frattastan »

I'm more of a contemporary history type, but I'll admit I haven't read a lot. If you've got any recommendations they are welcome, though. :P
In this world there are two kinds of people: those with loaded guns and those who dig. I dig.
Spartan Termopylae

What sort of subject matter? I'll admit, the majority of my subject matter is ancient our medieval, but i may be able to suggest something

Manson
Discord: ereh#8503

Post by Manson »

Any suggestions?
Fratt wrote:Welcome to the Meatgrinder.

The average life expectancy of a Manson deputy after their appointment is four days. Good luck.
Spartan Termopylae

Any suggestions for what period?

Manson

Post by Manson »

Spartan Termopylae wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 20:39
Any suggestions for what period?
Anything you can think of. :P

The average life expectancy of a Manson deputy after their appointment is four days. Good luck.
Spartan Termopylae

Shoot to Kill and The Real Bravo Two Zero by Michael Asher - both contemporary books, the first telling the story of the authors service in the Parachute Regiment, Territorial SAS, and as a police officer in Northern Ireland in the 70s, the second is the same author travelling Iraq, following the trail of the ill-fated Bravo Two Zero mission of the Gulf War, attempting to debunk 'Andy McNab' and 'Chris Ryan' in their books Bravo Two Zero and The One That Got Away. Both very accessible books.

Stephen Clarke's 1000 Years of Annoying the French is a funny work detailing the relationship between Britain and France. The Champagne section will surprise many.

A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Fishing of Britain by Marc Morris is a brilliant biography of King Edward I, Edward Longshanks of (not very historical) Braveheart fame.

This one may not be too everyone's taste, but All the Countries We've Ever Invaded and the Few We Never Got Round To by Stuart Laycock is an interesting look at the British relationship with the rest of the world, in bitesize format.

Saul David compiled a book of Military Blunders (also the name of the book), which examined some important battles from history, and why they were sisters.

To list just a few.

But also one to avoid: The Greco-Persian Wars by Peter Green. I didn't find it very accessible, and it makes heavy use of various Latin and French terms with no explanation of the meaning. It seems to make the assumption that anyone reading it has prior knowledge of the terms, so is too much of an academic work for casual readers. Hell, i have a degree in history, and i found it hard, add well as being dull and heavily slanted towards ancient Athens, marginalising the impact of most of the other city states taking part, and consigns Thermopylae (a Spartan-led action) to a virtual footnote to the Battle of Artemisium (an Athenian-led naval battle fought concurrently)

Manson

Post by Manson »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be sure to check at least one of the ones you recommended out! :)

Spartan Termopylae

Which one? Out of curiosity, then if i can recommend more on a similar subject.....

Manson

Post by Manson »

Spartan Termopylae wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 16:49
Which one? Out of curiosity, then if i can recommend more on a similar subject.....
All the Countries We've Ever Invaded and the Few We Never Got Round To by Stuart Laycock.

Spartan Termopylae

Bugger, one I'd struggle for more suggestions 😂

Return to “Like or Dislike”