Movies

A forum for reviews and discussion of games, books, music, film and other such things.

Moderators: LiberzanEmpire, Delegate

Nequedum
Nation: Glacikaldr
Discord: Nequedum#1716

Movies

Post by Nequedum »

I shouldn't be here. I hate pretty much every film.
frattastan
Discord: frattastan#2205

Movies

Post by frattastan »

Most recent film I watched has been The Last Jedi, I think. It was 'eh'.
Somewhat surprisingly, I don't believe I watched anything since then.

Of the films I saw last year, my favourites would be Dunkirk and Get Out.
Catalyse wrote:The Nice Guys
I liked this.
In this world there are two kinds of people: those with loaded guns and those who dig. I dig.
Relfa
Nation: Relfa/Relfinin
Discord: Relfa#1581

Movies

Post by Relfa »

I am HUGE fan of cinema (as you may see in my signature lol), so I have four favorite movies: Schindler's List, Forrest Gump, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and, of course, Dead Poets Society.

I'm used to write reviews to Rotten Tomatoes, so my opinions on movies are BIG lmao, but I will simplify them. Whatever, the last movie I saw was Bright from Netflix and I didn't like it at all, bad movie for me.
Relfa
Wopruthien

Movies

Post by Wopruthien »

Really enjoyed the new jumanji was much better than I expected.
Catalyse
Nation: Catalyse

Movies

Post by Catalyse »

Wopruthien wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 13:03
I have a friend who keeps saying he wants to watch it but I wasn't sure if he was being sarcastic. :P Even less sure now.
Formerly former things.
Wopruthien

Movies

Post by Wopruthien »

Catalyse wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 13:08
Wopruthien wrote:
I have a friend who keeps saying he wants to watch it but I wasn't sure if he was being sarcastic. :P Even less sure now.
It is really really good. You should definitely see it.

Quite possibly my third favourite movie of the year, behind Dunkirk and something else I've temporarily forgotten.
frattastan

Movies

Post by frattastan »

Wopruthien wrote:something else I've temporarily forgotten.
Really? :P
In this world there are two kinds of people: those with loaded guns and those who dig. I dig.
Relfa

Movies

Post by Relfa »

Have you watched The Shape of Water? I've watched the trailer of it yesterday and I really liked it, I'm excited to see it.
Relfa
frattastan

Movies

Post by frattastan »

I might when I get the chance.
I liked Pan's Labyrinth, so I might enjoy this one too.
Relfa

Movies

Post by Relfa »

I just saw Dunkirk. WHAT A MOVIE! I loved it. Seriously, I was tense the whole movie.
Relfa
Bowiemoria

Movies

Post by Bowiemoria »

If you think Dunkirk is intense, watch Hacksaw Ridge. More intense than either Dunkirk or Saving Private Ryan in my opinion.

I just watched Nightcrawler, and Jake Gyllenhaal's performance was absolutely chilling. Fantastic film.
Get off my lawn.
Relfa

Movies

Post by Relfa »

Bowiemoria wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 18:13
If you think Dunkirk is intense, watch Hacksaw Ridge. More intense than either Dunkirk or Saving Private Ryan in my opinion.

I just watched Nightcrawler, and Jake Gyllenhaal's performance was absolutely chilling. Fantastic film.
I've already watched Hacksaw Ridge lol. Fantastic movie either, I loved it too. But the most intense war movie for me is Platoon with Charlie Sheen, Johnny Depp and William Dafoe. If you haven't watched it, do it now.
Relfa
Wopruthien

Movies

Post by Wopruthien »

Bowiemoria wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 18:13

All 3 of those movies are great, but Dunkirk was better than Hacksaw Ridge. I'd say better than Saving Private Ryan, except for the D-Day landing scene which was fantastic and without a doubt one of the best scenes in the genre.

Nightcrawler is good too.
Relfa

Movies

Post by Relfa »

Wopruthien wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 18:49
All 3 of those movies are great, but Dunkirk was better than Hacksaw Ridge. I'd say better than Saving Private Ryan, except for the D-Day landing scene which was fantastic and without a doubt one of the best scenes in the genre.

Nightcrawler is good too.
I completely agree with you. But I believe Saving Private Ryan is a little better than Dunkirk.
Relfa
Relfa

Movies

Post by Relfa »

I saw two oscar-nominated movies this weekend. Darkest Hour and Lady Bird. I really liked both movies, both passed their message.

Gary Oldman became Winston Churchill to make Darkest Hour. The guy was simply brilliant in his performance, fantastic performance. I also loved the cinematography of it, they made very good takes. The screenplay was also very very very well written. Just to say that it wasn't perfect, visual effects didn't work in this movie.

Lady Bird is a pretty intense movie. I was thinking it would be boring in the beggining, but it got really good after that. Both Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf delievered amazing performances in their roles. I liked the way they presented religion too. Very well thought movie.
Relfa
Nequedum
Nation: Glacikaldr
Discord: Nequedum#1716

Movies

Post by Nequedum »

I intend to watch both of those films at some point, I'm just a little worried Darkest Hour will disappoint me. My girlfriend saw it at the cinemas and she said it was decent, but that I might get annoyed by it. :P

As for Lady Bird, I intend to watch it with her at a later date.
Relfa

Movies

Post by Relfa »

I promised to myself that this year I would watch as many oscar-nominated movies I can. So, of the 17 movies with more than 1 nomination, I've planned to watch 11, including all nominees to Best Picture. (I watched 6 of them)

So in my saga to watch all of those movies, I went to see Call Me By Your Name last night.

I loved the movie very much, very very much. Thimothée Chalamet was fantastic in his perfomance (his last scene was particularly extraordinary), I would say that he would be able to win Best Actor in a Leading Role if Gary Oldman wasn't there. It's a love story, a story of first love and it was incredibly managed to make it great and not cliché. I liked the soundtrack too, it was great. Despite it was my favorite movie between the 6 I've watched, it doesn't have a chance with the Academy, since movies like Dunkirk, Darkest Hour and The Shape of Water are cinematographically better (I haven't seen Phanton Thread and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Misouri yet).

It's the first time I'm doing this Oscar thing and I'm impressed. All movies I saw so far were amazing, there was literally none I said "Okay, this movies is not good." I'm really impressed.
Relfa
Black-eyed Heathens

Movies

Post by Black-eyed Heathens »

I saw "A Quiet Place" recently. I think that movie proved horror movies that are mainstream can be beautiful. It was all around fantastic. Although I think we might be seeing an emerging of trends because with GoG Vol 1, Baby Driver, we're seeing some more audio focused movies lately I think, which is a cool trend. ^_^
Relfa

Movies

Post by Relfa »

I am sooooo excited to see A Quiet Place. I will watch it with my friends because that's how I think it's fun to watch horror movies. Today I watched Ready Player One and it surprised me. I wasn't expecting much and I've watched an excellent movie (if it's Spielberg, it's 90% of chance of being good). Very powerful message and such an entertaining movie. I only had problems with two scenes in the movie where there was some screenplay mistakes. 8.5/10 to me
Relfa
frattastan

Movies

Post by frattastan »

oh, I saw A Quiet Place.

It was really good, although I am not sure it 'deserved' to be a full-length feature movie.
The basic idea was clever and developed well, but it felt like the kind of work that you adapt from a short story: great starting idea, but not many opportunities for plot or character development beyond it (even if the characterisation of each family member is adequate, overall).

Only comparing them because they're (atypical) 'horrors', but I much preferred Get Out.
Actually thought that was one of the best movies to come out last year. Reminded me a lot of The Stepford Wives, though. :P
Manson
Discord: ereh#8503

Movies

Post by Manson »

frattastan wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 09:17
oh, I saw A Quiet Place.

It was really good, although I am not sure it 'deserved' to be a full-length feature movie.
The basic idea was clever and developed well, but it felt like the kind of work that you adapt from a short story: great starting idea, but not many opportunities for plot or character development beyond it (even if the characterisation of each family member is adequate, overall).

Only comparing them because they're (atypical) 'horrors', but I much preferred Get Out.
Actually thought that was one of the best movies to come out last year. Reminded me a lot of The Stepford Wives, though. :P
I'm going to see A Quiet Place soon.
Fratt wrote:Welcome to the Meatgrinder.

The average life expectancy of a Manson deputy after their appointment is four days. Good luck.
Relfa

Movies

Post by Relfa »

frattastan wrote:Only comparing them because they're (atypical) 'horrors', but I much preferred Get Out.
Actually thought that was one of the best movies to come out last year.
I LOVE Get Out, indeed one of the best movies to come out last year, I felt that it kinda revolutionized horror movies, I would say one of the best movies of the gender, even better than lots of Hitchcock.
Relfa
frattastan

Re: Movies

Post by frattastan »

Catalyse wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 15:08
Wopruthien wrote:
I ended up watching it, and I agree with Wop. They made it similar to the original Jumanji, but it has different character types, it plays out in different ways or the references used mean something else (I liked what they made of 'The Mighty Roar' :P ), so in the end it manages to be a different movie that can be enjoyable on its own.
Catalyse
Nation: Catalyse

Post by Catalyse »

That post is so old I don't even remember who I was refering to when I said a friend kept saying he wanted to watch it.

I saw Battle Angel, the anime, recently.
Formerly former things.
Deadeye Jack
Discord: Mad-Eye Jack#6068

Post by Deadeye Jack »

frattastan wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 23:28
Catalyse wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 15:08
Wopruthien wrote:
I ended up watching it, and I agree with Wop. They made it similar to the original Jumanji, but it has different character types, it plays out in different ways or the references used mean something else (I liked what they made of 'The Mighty Roar' :P ), so in the end it manages to be a different movie that can be enjoyable on its own.

I saw the new Jumanji awhile back and yeah I thought it was unexpectedly enjoyable. It's certainly not an Oscar film but it was fun and got some laughs
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms

Manson told me to put these in my signature:

Return to “Like or Dislike”