Speaker's Office

An area for citizens of The Rejected Realms to discuss regional and legislative affairs.
Until you have gained citizenship, you will not be able to post in this forum or view the Citizens' Private Forum sub-forum. To get citizenship, apply here.

Moderators: Speaker, Deputy Speaker

Manson
Discord: ereh#8503

Re: Speaker's Office

Post by Manson »

Jamie wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 05:45
Why do your archive topics so quickly when they’re barely a week old or even a few days old?
I archived a few topics I found useless. I didn't find my proposals useful anymore so I archived them. I also archived all topics relating to the election because the election is over. My usual days with inactivity is 25 days, but, I'd like to keep the Assembly clean and tidy so I archive what I feel is not needed anymore. Hope that helps! :)
Fratt wrote:Welcome to the Meatgrinder.

The average life expectancy of a Manson deputy after their appointment is four days. Good luck.
Cove
Nation: Chimes
Discord: JamieNS#9042

Post by Cove »

My main issue is your archived the officer vote topic before anyone could see it. :p
~ Former Delegate of The Rejected Realms ~
~ Former Officer for the World Assembly ~
~ Ex-Speaker of The Rejected Realms Assembly (2 Terms) ~
~ Former RRA Officer ~
Manson

Post by Manson »

Jamie wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 13:17
My main issue is your archived the officer vote topic before anyone could see it. :p
I mean, why would anyone need to see it? Not like I'm going to lie about the results. :P

Good point though. In the future, I'll leave elections unarchived for at least an hour.

The average life expectancy of a Manson deputy after their appointment is four days. Good luck.
thechurchofsatan

Post by thechurchofsatan »

I'd recommend keeping it out for about a day after the vote closes actually.

Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History
Spartan Termopylae

Post by Spartan Termopylae »

Or a year
The written word is one of the most precious things known to man.

We have barely reached a point where most appreciate this.

Wr addre nearing the point where were loose this
Manson

Post by Manson »

Spartan Termopylae wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 21:25
Or a year
I'll settle on 12-24 hours. :p

So a half of a day to a day.

Spartan Termopylae

But a year to 18 months will give people time to see it..........

Manson

Post by Manson »

22 Apr 2019, 10:07
But a year to 18 months will give people time to see it..........
Lol, no. :P

Spartan Termopylae

Well i never

😝

Cove
Nation: Chimes
Discord: JamieNS#9042

Post by Cove »

Just nitpicking but I was wondering if you could post the breakdown of the CC confirmation vote? Just curious.
~ Former Delegate of The Rejected Realms ~
~ Former Officer for the World Assembly ~
~ Ex-Speaker of The Rejected Realms Assembly (2 Terms) ~
~ Former RRA Officer ~
Neop
Nation: Neop

Official Statement from the Speaker's Office

Post by Neop »

Official Statement from the Speaker's Office

Greetings TRR,

Elections for Speaker have concluded, and I am proud to have been selected by the citizenry to preside over the assembly. To begin this term smoothly, I would like to clarify a few things about what will be done moving forward:

Assembly Procedure- The procedures outlined in the opening post, barring any exceptional circumstances which are to be judged as per legislation and the Office's discretion, remain. Any questions, concerns, or suggestions about the outlined protocol are more than welcomed to be voiced within this thread.

Assembly Agenda- A new addition to the opening post of this thread is the Assembly Agenda. It is intended to be an accessible list of ongoing matters of relevance taking place within this subforum. Any matters deemed appropriate for addition will be added within 24 hours of their initial posting- should this fail to occur, feel free to alert me in this thread.

Deputy Speaker- is a vacant position. I will be reaching out to a few potential candidates in order to fill it within ideally no more than 72 hours. If you're interested, feel free to reply in this thread with the following application:

Code: Select all

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Any previous legislative experience:[/b]
[b]Why you want to be Deputy Speaker:[/b]
[b]Will you be consistently active from now until October?:[/b]
All interested citizens are encouraged to apply.

If it is of interest to you, check back in this thread for any further updates from this Office.

Looking forward to this term,

Neop
Speaker of the Assembly
neop
frattastan wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 12:01
Gamers rise up.
Neop

Post by Neop »

The search for our Deputy Speaker has concluded. Congratulations to Thepeopl, our new Deputy!
neop
frattastan wrote:
Gamers rise up.
Guy

Post by Guy »

What is the Speaker's policy around bringing matters to a vote? That the Cultural Heritage Act was brought to a vote despite its proponent not addressing any of the concerns raised in the debate I found quite concerning.

What forms of communication does the Speaker make to citizens regarding ongoing votes?
Neop

Post by Neop »

Guy wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 15:49
What is the Speaker's policy around bringing matters to a vote? That the Cultural Heritage Act was brought to a vote despite its proponent not addressing any of the concerns raised in the debate I found quite concerning.
The policy followed was that outlined in the OP of this thread. Seeing as the conditions for the minimum debate period had been well met, with the proposal seconded and requested to be sent to vote, the motion to move to a vote was approved. The policies being followed do allow for the Speaker's discretion to put new matters to vote, but, for the sake of eliminating any concerns of conflict of interest (as someone who had been publicly opposed to the Act himself), and seeing as the discussion was drifting away from the proposal at hand (in the form of nonlegislative solutions), I allowed it to proceed.

I do fully understand your concerns however. I myself voiced this concern when the vote was requested. I'm not happy with how that went down. and I'd like to do better, so I would like to adopt the following additional policies to rectify this moving forward:

1) Barring extenuating situations that require confidentiality, I will not respond to any motions or points of orders that are made via DM or PM to me. Transparency is important and I'd like for the Assembly to be as involved as possible in the decision-making processes that lead to legislation being passed. Such requests can be made, publicly, in the appropriate threads.

2) I will use more discretion when determining if appropriate debate has taken place. I don't believe revisions or concessions are required or desired in every circumstance, even those where opposition exists- but it is clearly in the interest of the Assembly to have, at the very least, adequate discussion of why this would be the case. Any concerns about the Speaker's decision to require more discussion or debate, in any particular given circumstance, may be raised publicly in the appropriate thread or in the Speaker's Office thread.

I would appreciate your feedback on these, Guy, and anyone else who may be interested. It's important to me that we get this right.
What forms of communication does the Speaker make to citizens regarding ongoing votes?
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand this one- do you mean the forms of communications used to announce votes?
neop
frattastan wrote:
Gamers rise up.
Spartan Termopylae

Wait, people PM you to start a vote?

Neop

Post by Neop »

20 Jul 2019, 18:53
Wait, people PM you to start a vote?
The final request for a vote was made by Manson, via PM, which I made public in the discussion thread with 24 hours of notice.
neop
frattastan wrote:
Gamers rise up.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Thanks for your response, Neop. I think those are positive developments.
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand this one- do you mean the forms of communications used to announce votes?
Yup.
Neop

Post by Neop »

The mode I used to announce the vote in question was Discord- in particular, the standard @everyone in the citizens channel. Was there another method that you’d prefer I also adopt?
neop
frattastan wrote:
Gamers rise up.
Guy

Post by Guy »

I’m happy with the @everyone ping. The other potential avenue is to individually TG nation, but I’m not sure the cost-benefit analysis would necessarily stack up there.

One suggestion I have is to encourage people to read the debate — or at least to provide a link to it — alongside the link to the voting thread.
Neop

Post by Neop »

Guy wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 15:37
I’m happy with the @everyone ping. The other potential avenue is to individually TG nation, but I’m not sure the cost-benefit analysis would necessarily stack up there.

One suggestion I have is to encourage people to read the debate — or at least to provide a link to it — alongside the link to the voting thread.
I’m working on a pinned dispatch detailing assembly activities- I’m hoping this would be similarly effective, though it’s subject to trial and error.

This was done with the last vote- a link was provided to the discussion. I intend on continuing that.
neop
frattastan wrote:
Gamers rise up.
Thepeopl
Nation: Thepeopl
Discord: Thepeopl

Post by Thepeopl »

Do you want to be more involved in the government?
For me, being deputy was a great opportunity to learn how the controls of this site work and to follow discussions more closely.

I am looking for a deputy speaker as a fail safe. At this moment I am fairly active and almost daily online. But with 4 kids and asthma, one never knows when some emergency arises.

Please fill out the application below and post it in this thread if you're interested.

Code: Select all

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Any previous legislative experience:[/b]
[b]Why you want to be Deputy Speaker:[/b]
[b]Will you be consistently active from now until January?:[/b]
Thepeopl
Nation: Thepeopl
Discord: Thepeopl

Post by Thepeopl »

Hurray! The Pharcyde is my deputy speaker
The Pharcyde
Nation: The Pharcyde
Discord: The Pharcyde#3206

Post by The Pharcyde »

:hamster:
Manson told Jack to put these in his sig, so he presumably wants me to as well:

~Upvote Squad~
frattastan
Discord: frattastan#2205

Post by frattastan »

Missed this until now, but you should be masked. :P
In this world there are two kinds of people: those with loaded guns and those who dig. I dig.
The Pharcyde
Nation: The Pharcyde
Discord: The Pharcyde#3206

Post by The Pharcyde »

frattastan wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 17:48
Missed this until now, but you should be masked. :P
Thanks for the mask!

If my face is covered, no one will discover my secret identity. :thumbsup:
Manson told Jack to put these in his sig, so he presumably wants me to as well:

~Upvote Squad~