Amendments to the constitution.

A forum containing past Assembly discussions.

Moderator: Speaker

Neop
Nation: Neop

Amendments to the constitution.

Post by Neop »

I'd like to propose the following amendments to the constitution.

To Article 8, Section D:
Article 8: Elections wrote:D: A challenge to an official within 30 days of their election requires the support of four other citizens. Otherwise, a challenge for Delegate requires the support of two other citizens, and a challenge for Officer requires the support of one other citizen. The required support must be received within 7 days of the challenge to trigger an election being posted.
To Article 8, Section F:
Article 8: Elections wrote: F: Simultaneous elections will begin for all Officer positions on the first day of April, August and December, as if a challenge had been made. Incumbent Officers must confirm their intent to run. No challenges for Officer positions may be made within the 15 days before these elections.

Maybe we can also add some amendments in response to the recent officer kerfuffle?
Spoiler: click to toggle
Last edited by Neop on 25 Jun 2019, 18:02, edited 7 times in total.
neop
frattastan wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 12:01
Gamers rise up.
Catalyse
Nation: Catalyse

Re: Amendments to the constitution.

Post by Catalyse »

The 15 waiting period shouldn't apply to the delegate elections since those are flexible. If someone challenges the sitting delegate 15 days before their current 6 month term ends they won't have another election in 15 days, they'll have one in 6 months.

I also think that maybe the time elapsed before a challenge is null should be a bit longer. A week should suffice.
Formerly former things.
Morover
Nation: Morover

Post by Morover »

Seconded to all these changes. It clarifies some of the stuff we were discussing on Discord earlier, without being too over-the-top. 15 days is a good timeframe for these.

A few changes I'd make, though they're a bit nitpicky and has to do with a stylistic opinion:

For Sections B and F, I'd make it "No additional challenges for officer positions may be made within the fifteen days before the aforementioned automatic elections."

For Section D, I'd change it from a specification of four days to just a typical nomination period for automatic challenges for said position that the player is challenging for. I'm sure there is some way to put it more eloquently than I did.

Last-minute change: I agree with Cat on the delegate election - it didn't even occur to me the logistics behind that. Perhaps make it limited to 13 days, in order to avoid any overlap in elections (as it may be interpreted, if kept as-is, for a secondary delegate election to be automatically challenged, even if there is a delegate election currently going on. It's a stretch, I know, but best to plan for a worst-case scenario).
Neop

Post by Neop »

To be additionally nitpicky,
Morover wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 23:03
For Sections B and F, I'd make it "No additional challenges for officer positions may be made within the fifteen days before the aforementioned automatic elections."
The word automatic did come to mind, but I hesitate against using such vocabulary in legislation without proper introduction- especially in this case, where we're now creating a new category of election- the constitution doesn't differentiate between these two types of elections beyond the fact that they're scheduled. Key phrasing is "as if a challenge had been made." Considering that no other elections are mentioned in section F, there's really no ambiguity that necessitates any further distinction. There could be in section B, but see below for further comments about that section.
Morover wrote:
For Section D, I'd change it from a specification of four days to just a typical nomination period for automatic challenges for said position that the player is challenging for. I'm sure there is some way to put it more eloquently than I did.
See above. "Automatic" challenges operate no differently from by-elections.
Morover wrote:
Last-minute change: I agree with Cat on the delegate election - it didn't even occur to me the logistics behind that. Perhaps make it limited to 13 days, in order to avoid any overlap in elections (as it may be interpreted, if kept as-is, for a secondary delegate election to be automatically challenged, even if there is a delegate election currently going on. It's a stretch, I know, but best to plan for a worst-case scenario).
I did consider this while drafting up the amendments. I think Cat's argument is sound and I agree with her at the moment, but I'm also interested in what precedent there is for such a situation, so I'm going to be keeping the original amendments as they are for now.
neop
frattastan wrote:
Gamers rise up.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Agreed with Cat that there’s no use for this in Delegate elections.
Spartan Termopylae

Post by Spartan Termopylae »

I don't understand the necessity
The written word is one of the most precious things known to man.

We have barely reached a point where most appreciate this.

Wr addre nearing the point where were loose this
Morover
Nation: Morover

Post by Morover »

Spartan Termopylae wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 16:55
It's not so much necessity so much as a measure to reduce redundancy.
Manson
Discord: ereh#8503

Post by Manson »

These are all good except for the Delegate one which isn't needed. Can't wait to put these up to vote.
Fratt wrote:Welcome to the Meatgrinder.

The average life expectancy of a Manson deputy after their appointment is four days. Good luck.
Christian Democrats

Post by Christian Democrats »

I agree. Have unnecessary and untimely challenges been a problem?
"I was born free and desire to continue so."

frattastan
Discord: frattastan#2205

Post by frattastan »

Christian Democrats wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 05:23
I agree. Have unnecessary and untimely challenges been a problem?
On the second proposal ("The required support must be received within 4 days..."), there was a discussion in chat on whether challenges 'expire'.
John Laurens challenged for Speaker on May 13. He received no seconds and debate died down, but he hasn't withdrawn the challenge. Does that mean it's still pending and that an election will begin if a second is received? What if it receives a second after the July 1 Speaker election? Is it still valid even if the person it was challenging has been replaced? etc.

There was an unnecessary challenge recently - the limit of requiring five 'seconds' to challenge in the first month of someone's term proved ineffective because this joke challenge got the required support. However the proposed amendments aren't addressing that. There also was a challenge for a vacant seat (due to resignation) at the end of November, just before the December 1 scheduled election, but I wouldn't say it was something so widespread to be a 'problem', no.
In this world there are two kinds of people: those with loaded guns and those who dig. I dig.
Neop

Post by Neop »

Removed the portion of the amendment pertaining to the delegate.

Would you guys like to see anything added, removed, desecrated before we motion this to a vote?
neop
frattastan wrote:
Gamers rise up.
Guy

Post by Guy »

With the first amendment, I would truncate the sentence just in the interests of brevity, given that nothing is lost: "The required support must be received within 4 days of the challenge being posted."

I'm also not sure whether 4 days is too short.

Naturally, I think, this requirement should only be for the first challenge that triggers a challenge period, rather than further challenges during the challenge period. Maybe this should be made explicit?

With the second amendment, I'd remove the word 'additional'.
Neop

Post by Neop »

Guy wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 06:14
With the first amendment, I would truncate the sentence just in the interests of brevity, given that nothing is lost: "The required support must be received within 4 days of the challenge being posted."

Sure, done.
Guy wrote:
I'm also not sure whether 4 days is too short.
Currently, the nomination period, which begins upon the first successfully submitted challenge, is 4 days, which is where I draw the number from.
Guy wrote:
Naturally, I think, this requirement should only be for the first challenge that triggers a challenge period, rather than further challenges during the challenge period. Maybe this should be made explicit?
Probably. This is what I've come up with for that:
Revision wrote:The required support for a challenge to trigger an election must be received within 4 days of the challenge being posted in order for the challenge to be considered valid.
Guy wrote:
With the second amendment, I'd remove the word 'additional'.
Also done.
neop
frattastan wrote:
Gamers rise up.
Guy

Post by Guy »

I understand the logic with using 4 days, but I think it might be too short. The purpose I think is to stop 'ghost' challenges (an indefinite period of time within which you can challenge), I think 7 days is probably more in the right order, but it's not that important to me that I'd vote against if you disagree.

I'm fine with the "trigger an election" wording.
Neop

Post by Neop »

I’ll extend it to 7 days then, given that several people seem to prefer it.
Barring any last minute recommendations, Manson, would it be possible to put this to vote by tomorrow morning?
neop
frattastan wrote:
Gamers rise up.
Manson
Discord: ereh#8503

Post by Manson »

Neop wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 18:04
I’ll extend it to 7 days then, given that several people seem to prefer it.
Barring any last minute recommendations, Manson, would it be possible to put this to vote by tomorrow morning?
Sure.
Fratt wrote:Welcome to the Meatgrinder.

The average life expectancy of a Manson deputy after their appointment is four days. Good luck.

Return to “Discussion”