[PROPOSAL] Regional Controls Merger Omnibus Act (Revival of Maintenance Merger)

A forum containing past Assembly discussions.

Moderator: Speaker

The Grim Reaper

[PROPOSAL] Regional Controls Merger Omnibus Act (Revival of Maintenance Merger)

Post by The Grim Reaper »

Regional Controls Merger Omnibus Act

1. This Act enters the text of Appendix I, and Annex I as an attachment to it, into law as the Delegate and Regional Controls Act.
2. The Assembly declares that the Delegate and Regional Controls Act supercedes and effectively duplicates the intent of the following Acts, and thus instructs the Speaker to remove them in full as duplications of the legal force of the Delegate and Regional Controls Act.
  • A. Flag of the Rejected Realms Act
  • B. Regional Tags Act
  • C. World Factbook Entry Act
  • D. Regional Message Board Act
  • E. Regional Officers Act
3. The Assembly declares that Annex I, attached to Appendix I of this Act, is equivalent to Annex I of the Flag of the Rejected Realms Act.
Appendix I

Delegate and Regional Controls Act

This Act defines the responsibilities of the WA Delegate regarding their use of the Regional Controls of the in-game region of The Rejected Realms.

1. The official flag shall be maintained by the Delegate as the flag of the Rejected Realms region, as defined in Article 1 of the Constitution.
  • A. The official flag of the Rejected Realms is hereby set as the flag in Annex I of this Act.
  • B. The flag shall be used in all official occasions requiring its use.
  • C. The Delegate is permitted to temporarily change the regional flag for cultural purposes, provided the flag does not represent another NS region or organization.
2. The Delegate must maintain the Rejected Realms' regional tags in accordance with this Act.
  • A. The following regional tags must not be added to the Rejected Realms: "Imperialist", "Totalitarian", "Fascist", "Monarchist", "Independent", "Invader", "Mercenary", "Patriarchal", "Jump Point" or "Puppet Storage".
  • B. The following regional tags may not be removed from the Rejected Realms: "Democratic", "Regional Government", "Defender", "Offsite Forums" and "Offsite Chat".
3. The Delegate is responsible for maintaining a World Factbook Entry that promotes The Rejected Realms, and in particular items and ongoing events of interest to residents.
  • A. The World Factbook Entry shall include a prominent link to the forums of The Rejected Realms as recognised by the Constitution, and to the official Discord server of the Rejected Realms with the server ID 214955471071608833.
  • B. The World Factbook Entry must not promote a region, organisation or any other entity that The Rejected Realms is not allied with or a member of.
4. The Delegate may elect to suppress content on the Regional Message Board only insofar as this suppression helps maintain a safe and open public space for other residents.
  • A. All residents and visitors are free to use the Regional Message Board as a common site of conversation, without malfeasance or harassment.
  • B. The delegate may elect to suppress content on the Regional Message Board only insofar as this suppression helps maintain a safe and open public space for other residents; this shall include, but is not limited to:
    • i. Any posts which breach the site's rules.
    • ii. Advertisements.
    • iii. Messages inciting an unlawful seizure of the delegacy.
  • C. The Delegate may elect to extend posting privileges to nations in regions with which The Rejected Realms has an embassy.
  • D. The Delegate is encouraged to publish a policy which stipulates the general circumstances under which posts may be suppressed.
5. The Delegate must not appoint as a regional officer a person whose citizenship application was rejected or whose citizenship was revoked for any reason other than not having a nation in the region, and has not since gained citizenship.
  • A. The Assembly retains its Constitutional power to direct the Delegate to dismiss a regional officer, and not to appoint a person as regional officer.
  • B. Regional officers, in exercising their powers, are subject to the same limitations set out in law as the Delegate.
  • C. The Delegate must endeavour to ensure that, in exercising their powers, regional officers abide by NationStates rules and regional law and act in a way that represents the region well.
Annex I
See viewtopic.php?f=97&t=10030822 for original attempt.

Responding to the last concerns in that attempt before it was abandoned, this proposal attempts to use the lightest possible touch on the original text of each of the constituent acts - breaking them up into list items, using a clause other than the first of certain acts as the act's text's parent clause in this Act such that every clause refers to a power of the Delegate but otherwise retaining order, fixing typoes (e.g. adding 'is' to "this shall include, but is not limited to:"), and consistent capitalization.

There is no intentional stylistic edit in this Act.

Further, it attempts - clumsily - to avoid acting as an omnibus repeal by distinguishing its interaction with multiple acts from a repeal by instead characterising itself as an effectively equivalent supercession.

This Act is proposed with the intention of defining the responsibilities of the Delegate in a singular Act, such that a Delegate could either be scrutinized, instructed, or briefed with reference to a single document to have a comprehensive understanding of their responsibilities in regards to their ingame presence.

The title of the Act, the "Delegate and Regional Controls Act" is meant to be comparable to that of the existing "Speaker and Procedures of the Assembly Act" to represent their similar role in defining a particular Constitutional position.

The passage of this Act would have the effect of creating a single "Regional Controls Act" which would be the sole regional law to which the Constitution's Article 4 Clause B is subject to (4.B The Delegate may use the Regional Controls and act on World Assembly proposals and resolutions as they see fit, subject to regional law). The term and its capitalization, thus, is taken from that Constitutional Clause.

It accounts for the likely passage of the current amendment to the WFE Act at vote.
Last edited by The Grim Reaper on 03 Jan 2021, 18:42, edited 3 times in total.
Catalyse
Nation: Catalyse

Re: [PROPOSAL] Regional Controls Merger Omnibus Act (Revival of Maintenance Merger)

Post by Catalyse »

No.
Formerly former things.
Twobagger
Nation: Twobagger
Discord: Twobagger #6431

Re: [PROPOSAL] Regional Controls Merger Omnibus Act (Revival of Maintenance Merger)

Post by Twobagger »

Yes.
Spartan Termopylae

Post by Spartan Termopylae »

What is the precise point of this?
The written word is one of the most precious things known to man.

We have barely reached a point where most appreciate this.

Wr addre nearing the point where were loose this
thechurchofsatan

Post by thechurchofsatan »

Spartan Termopylae wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 19:29
Gotta say, this question is on my mind too. It doesn't do anything useful. It just moves them around.

Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History
Deadeye Jack
Discord: Mad-Eye Jack#6068

Post by Deadeye Jack »

thechurchofsatan wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 20:46
Gotta say, this question is on my mind too. It doesn't do anything useful. It just moves them around.
Spartan Termopylae wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 19:29
The point is in the OP. Grim said he thought it would be beneficial to have a one stop shop for everything the delegate can do with the regional controls of The Rejected Realms. Personally I don't know where I fall on the necessity of such a move. It seems mostly harmless. But it's not like we have a bunch of laws where it is currently a pain to find this information
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms

Manson told me to put these in my signature:
Spartan Termopylae

Sooo.....there is no point in this. Its legislation for the sake of legislation. One should never legislate for the sake of legislation. It is completely pointless, and misses the very point of legislating in the first place.

thechurchofsatan

Deadeye Jack wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 23:54
The point is in the OP. Grim said he thought it would be beneficial to have a one stop shop for everything the delegate can do with the regional controls of The Rejected Realms. Personally I don't know where I fall on the necessity of such a move. It seems mostly harmless. But it's not like we have a bunch of laws where it is currently a pain to find this information
So Spartan is right, there is no point. It's not like clicking the "Legislation" subforum is a pain or anything. Nor is taking the five seconds to look for a specific law. So this really is just legislation for legislation's sake.

The Grim Reaper

thechurchofsatan wrote:
29 Dec 2020, 02:09
Deadeye Jack wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 23:54
So Spartan is right, there is no point. It's not like clicking the "Legislation" subforum is a pain or anything. Nor is taking the five seconds to look for a specific law. So this really is just legislation for legislation's sake.
May I ask what has changed for both of you since 2019 when I proposed the same legislation but with a rewrite of the constituent laws under the title "Maintenance Repeal & Merger Act" [viewtopic.php?f=97&t=10030822], when CoS indicated he liked the proposal in substance but to the exclusion of the fact that the original explicitly repealed multiple laws (which I feel I have sufficiently responded to), and when ST indicated that he believed the point of the law was to compress several pieces of legislation into one, because "all of those pieces are rather similar in nature" (which is the correct interpretation)?

Has jettisoning the rewrite been a more substantiative change than expected?
plembobria

Post by plembobria »

I think this is an excellent idea which speaks to the legislative genius of the grim reaper.
Spartan Termopylae

I would actually argue that what I said was not in support of the legislation back in 2019, but instead covering to someone else what the legislation was trying to do. From what I said, I don't see how you can claim the voicing of an opinion

thechurchofsatan

The Grim Reaper wrote:
29 Dec 2020, 06:23
May I ask what has changed for both of you since 2019 when I proposed the same legislation but with a rewrite of the constituent laws under the title "Maintenance Repeal & Merger Act" [viewtopic.php?f=97&t=10030822], when CoS indicated he liked the proposal in substance but to the exclusion of the fact that the original explicitly repealed multiple laws (which I feel I have sufficiently responded to), and when ST indicated that he believed the point of the law was to compress several pieces of legislation into one, because "all of those pieces are rather similar in nature" (which is the correct interpretation)?

Has jettisoning the rewrite been a more substantiative change than expected?
I'm not sure actually. It's been a year since then and I suppose I've grown a bit more cynical. Just a guess. Frankly, I'd forgotten about your first attempt.

Guy

Post by Guy »

I support this in principle. It seems like a good idea for these matters to all be part of one Act.

This isn’t “legislating for the sake of legislating”. It’s just reorganising things, like cleaning-up your room or (perhaps most accurately) stapling together sheets of paper. There is literally no harm in this, it would just make things a little neater and easier to find. Moreover, codifying law is a really common process that both RL and NS legislatures do all the time.

I have some issues with how the amending Act itself (the Regional Controls Merger Omnibus Act) is written, as I think it uses really complicated language for no good reason. I’ll suggest alternative wording soon.
The Grim Reaper

Note that this will also be adjusted again following the Regional Officer amendment, which I expect to pass before this is brought to a vote.
The Grim Reaper

The RO amendment has been brought to a vote and my current projections based on the votes as they stand have led me to amend this legislation accordingly, such that the text of the RO amendment currently at vote is accounted for in the omnibus.
Dyl
Nation: Khevo // Dyllypoly
Discord: DγΙ#4608

Post by Dyl »

I’d like to keep this moving along. Personally, I’m conflicted - I can see the use it would have but I’m not sure how necessary it is. We already have relatively few laws which aren’t too difficult to read through.

As debate has died down for some time, I’m motioning that this be brought to vote. If Guy adds the alternate wording he mentioned above, though, my motion to vote will be withdrawn in order to allow for some time to discuss it.
Former Speaker & Officer of Foreign Affairs "u r my hero" - Guy
- Reject Awards -
Spartan Termopylae

I counter the motion. I motion that since nobody has cared enough about this for over a month, we dismiss it completely. Not enough interest and over a month since any debate? Archive this and put it to bed

Guy

Post by Guy »

I've retitled the enacting Act, and rewritten it. I also changed the name of the enacted Act to Regional Controls Act. Some minor changes to it are marked-up.
Regional Controls (Codification) Act

1. The purpose of this Act is to re-enact several Acts related to the use of regional controls as a single Act, the Regional Controls Act, without making substantive changes to those Acts.

2. The Regional Controls Act, as contained in Schedule 1 to this Act, is enacted into law.

3. The following Acts are repealed:
  • A. Flag of the Rejected Realms Act
  • B. Regional Tags Act
  • C. World Factbook Entry Act
  • D. Regional Message Board Act
  • E. Regional Officers Act
4. This Act is immediately repealed upon its enactment.

Schedule 1

Regional Controls Act

1. This Act defines the responsibilities of the WA Delegate regarding in their use of the Regional Controls of the in-game region of The Rejected Realms.

2. The official flag shall must be maintained by the Delegate as the flag of the Rejected Realms region, as defined in Article 1 of the Constitution.
  • A. The official flag of the Rejected Realms is hereby set as the flag in Annex I of this Act.
  • B. The flag shall must be used in all official occasions requiring its use.
  • C. The Delegate is permitted to may temporarily change the regional flag for cultural purposes, provided the flag does not represent another NS region or organization.
3. The Delegate must maintain the Rejected Realms' regional tags in accordance with this Act.
  • A. The following regional tags must not be added to the Rejected Realms: "Imperialist", "Totalitarian", "Fascist", "Monarchist", "Independent", "Invader", "Mercenary", "Patriarchal", "Jump Point" or "Puppet Storage".
  • B. The following regional tags may must not be removed from the Rejected Realms: "Democratic", "Regional Government", "Defender", "Offsite Forums" and "Offsite Chat".
4. The Delegate is responsible for maintaining a World Factbook Entry that promotes The Rejected Realms, and in particular items and ongoing events of interest to residents.
  • A. The World Factbook Entry shall must include a prominent link to the forums of The Rejected Realms as recognised by the Constitution, and to the official Discord server of the Rejected Realms with the server ID 214955471071608833.
  • B. The World Factbook Entry must not promote a region, organisation or any other entity that The Rejected Realms is not allied with or a member of.
5. All residents and visitors are free to use the Regional Message Board as a common site of conversation, without malfeasance or harassment.
  • A. The delegate may elect to suppress content on the Regional Message Board only insofar as this suppression helps maintain a safe and open public space for other residents; this shall include includes, but is not limited to:
    • i. Any posts which breach the site's rules.
    • ii. Advertisements.
    • iii. Messages inciting an unlawful seizure of the delegacy.
  • B. The Delegate may elect to extend posting privileges to nations in regions with which The Rejected Realms has an embassy.
  • C. The Delegate is encouraged to publish a policy which that stipulates the general circumstances under in which posts may be suppressed.
6. Regional officers, in exercising their powers, are subject to the same limitations set out in law as the Delegate.
  • A. The Delegate must not appoint as a regional officer a person whose citizenship application was rejected or whose citizenship was revoked for any reason other than not having a nation in the region, and has not since gained citizenship.
  • B. The Assembly retains its Constitutional power to direct the Delegate to dismiss a regional officer, and not to appoint a person as regional officer.
  • C. The Delegate must endeavour to ensure that, in exercising their powers, regional officers abide by NationStates rules and regional law and act in a way that represents the region well.
Annex I
Catalyse
Nation: Catalyse

Post by Catalyse »

Against.
Formerly former things.
frattastan
Discord: frattastan#2205

Post by frattastan »

I don't know if in principle I agree with the idea that a single document would be easier to go through than multiple acts, especially when they are few in number, short and with clear titles.

Beyond that, it seems well written. "delegate" in 5A should be capitalised for consistency, though.
In this world there are two kinds of people: those with loaded guns and those who dig. I dig.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Yes, I think it’s reasonable to prefer them either as separate instruments or as a single Act. It’s clearly not the most consequential thing we will do. I think the most logical step is for the Assembly to express its preference by voting on this.
Spartan Termopylae

Or not voting on it and consign it to oblivion

Dyl
Nation: Khevo // Dyllypoly
Discord: DγΙ#4608

Post by Dyl »

This thread will be archived at 9:00 PM EST Tuesday, March 16 if no clear further interest is shown.
Former Speaker & Officer of Foreign Affairs "u r my hero" - Guy
- Reject Awards -
Guy

Post by Guy »

I motion to vote on my proposal.

Return to “Discussion”