Aegis Membership Survives By Razor Thin Margin

Home to The Rejected Times, NationStates's Premier Newspaper!

Moderators: Delegate, Editor-in-Chief

John Laurens
Nation: USS Merrimack
Discord: @thiccbois#9077

Aegis Membership Survives By Razor Thin Margin

Post by John Laurens »

AEGIS MEMBERSHIP SURVIVES BY RAZOR THIN MARGINS

NEWS | WRITTEN BY JOHN LAURENS | EDITED BY THE REJECTED REALMS STAFF

The Assembly of the Rejected Realms, The Greymarshes - The citizenry of the Rejected Realms stands divided after weeks of discussion over membership in the Aegis Accords resulted in a 21-20 assembly vote to remain in the accords.

The debate, which raged on for 57 days, was sparked by former TNP Minister of Culture MadJack publishing a dispatch that had alleged that the Europeian Republic’s President at the time, Rand, had been spying on the Rejected Realms through obtaining sensitive information from the Citizen’s Private Forum.

The Dispatch in turn generated a firestorm in the Assembly, with many citizens calling on the government to initiate a vote to remove Europeia from the accords, a diplomatic nuclear option. The Government, led by then-Delegate Catalyse and then-Foreign Affairs Officer Salem opted to pursue an amenable solution for all parties. After weeks of negotiations, in which Europeia even decided to break off talks on one occasion, a joint statement was issued by both parties announcing a peaceful resolution to the issue.

The joint statement still left some citizens wishing for a more definitive reaction, and on July 3rd, longtime citizen and former speaker BowShot118 declared their intent to motion for a vote on the Rejected Realms leaving the Aegis Accords, after initially raising the topic on June 23rd. The debate escalated, with many questioning the need to be in the Aegis Accords, and others questioning if staying in would lead to changes within the alliance. We asked citizens to reflect on the debate and the result, with one citizen saying “I am unsurprised that the vote didn't pass, but the tightness of the margin wasn't something I expected. Despite voting for, I did not believe that the motion would pass- I voted to leave the Accords in order to state my discontent about how Aegis handled the Europeia spying affair.”

As the Rejected Realms reaffirms its membership in Aegis, it remains to be seen if the close result has signaled a death knell for the region’s confidence in the alliance.
NOTE: The Rejected Times does not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Rejected Realms.
Find The Rejected Times Index here.
John Laurens-Wessex
Editor-in-Chief of The Rejected Times
Former Media, Culture, and Outreach Officer

Return to “TRR Media Corporation”