Bormiar
Nation: Bormiar

[In Queue] Restrictions on Blood Sports

Post by Bormiar »

The General Assembly

Restrictions on Blood Sports

Moral Decency

Strength: Mild

A resolution to restrict civil freedoms in the interest of moral decency.

Proposed by Honeydewistania
The World Assembly,

ACKNOWLEDGING that sports such as bullfighting, cockfighting and dogfighting are popular amongst member nations;

HORRIFIED that in most of these cases at least one of the participants in such competitions is forced to participate, usually resulting in their death or serious injury;

BELIEVING that, for the safety and protection of all sentient beings, legislation in the form of a General Assembly resolution is needed to prevent such cruel and barbaric practices;

Hereby:

1. Defines a "blood sport" as a form of entertainment involving two or more living beings in which the aim is to injure or kill the opponent, not including hunting of non-sapient creatures;

2. Prohibits all forms of blood sports in which one or more of the participants did not provide consent;

3. Prohibits all forms of blood sports in which the aim is to kill the opponent, despite consent;

4. Requires member states to relocate all captive former sapient blood sport participants to a safe and healthy rehabilitative environment, such as their natural habitat, where they will not destroy the environment, be harmed or harm others;

5. Encourages member states to relocate all captive former non-sapient blood sport participants to a safe and healthy rehabilitative environment, such as their natural habitat, where they will not destroy the environment, be harmed or harm others;

6. Encourages members states to humanely put down non-sapient creatures groomed for blood sports if rehabilitation is not possible.
The Second Coming is nigh upon us.
Cove
Nation: Chimes
Discord: JamieNS#9042

Re: [In Queue] Restrictions on Blood Sports

Post by Cove »

Strongly for. Barbaric sports should be banned.
~ Former Delegate of The Rejected Realms ~
~ Former Officer for the World Assembly ~
~ Ex-Speaker of The Rejected Realms Assembly (2 Terms) ~
~ Former RRA Officer ~
Morover
Nation: Morover

Post by Morover »

Against - the proposal has some holes from what I can see (namely with the interpretation of "hunting" which I feel is rather vague), and I also feel that sentient/sapient blood sports are not able to be covered adequately by one proposal - sentient blood sports should have more to do with general animal welfare whereas sapient blood sports is more what I feel a proposal such as this should have to do with.
makdon
Nation: Makdon
Discord: tobiDaTurtle

Post by makdon »

Against, this proposal allows maiming with consent and morover makes a good point about the separation of sentient and non sentient
Former WA Officer
Tinhampton
Nation: Lydia Anderson
Discord: Tinhampton#7402

Post by Tinhampton »

Opposed. Also RE Morover, would this not make blood sports held solely between sentient-but-not-sapient species impossible (if sapient beings cannot readily determine if they would consent to such an exercise)?
Tinhampton, the Self-Administrative City of

GA author x4, SC author x3, issue co-author x1, Cup of Harmony winner x1 (LXXVIII)
Bormiar

Post by Bormiar »

Against. Allows crippling intentional injury with consent, doesn't define consent, doesn't properly protect non-sentients.

This proposal does very little at best, unfortunately. I hope the author redrafts.
Shy Guyia
Nation: Forwerpen / Shy Guyia

Post by Shy Guyia »

I like the idea, but It's a bit too vague. It allows for extreme consensual injury and the proposal could really use a definition of consent in this context. Against.
Bormiar

Post by Bormiar »

Altasund
Nation: Altasund
Discord: Felicity#6544

Post by Altasund »

Against. Dogfights are fun. And I'm not certain how I'm supposed to obtain consent from a dog.
Also what's a "being"? Is a tree a living being? Is a mosquito? If a "being" has to be self-aware, for instance, then how is that being determined?
Non scribatur.
JakeJack
Nation: Golexald
Discord: JakeJack#3335

Post by JakeJack »

Against. I find it interesting how they define blood sports as "a form of entertainment involving two or more living beings in which the aim is to injure or kill the opponent, not including hunting of non-sapient creatures", yet it only bans blood sports "in which the aim is to kill the opponent." Not sure why they would not also ban blood sports that hurt opponents.
Deadeye Jack
Discord: Mad-Eye Jack#6068

Post by Deadeye Jack »

I feel like the proposal blurs the use of sentient and sapient too much which adds some confusion and yeah leaving consent undefined seems like asking for some trouble. So for those reasons I'm Against
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms

Manson told me to put these in my signature:

Return to “General Assembly”