Nation: Makdon
Discord: tobiDaTurtle

[FAILED] Commend Ariusgrad

Post by makdon »

The Security Council

Commend Ariusgrad

Commendation

Nominee: Ariusgrad

A resolution to recognize outstanding contribution by a nation or region.

Proposed by Joan dArc
The Security Council,

Noting that Ariusgrad, first elected on January 31st, 2012, has been the longest serving delegate of the region Philippines to the World Assembly,

Recognizing the eight and a half years of unparalleled service of Ariusgrad to said region as its President, encouraging active participation of its residents in regional and global affairs,

Impressed by the performance of Ariusgrad as they took the task of leading a relatively small and unknown region riddled with fleeting administrations, feuding member nations, and strong invasions,

Further noting that Ariusgrad introduced to Philippines at least 11 new government capacities within a constitutional democratic setup, including the Vice Delegate (Vice President), the Communications Officer (Minister of Foreign Affairs), the Homeland Officer (Minister of Domestic Affairs), and the Security Officer (Minister of Defense) as a commitment towards efficient and effective service within and outside the region,

Admiring the fact that they quickly resolved at least 30 invasion attempts during their administration of the Philippines, including at least four that had a total of over 40 invading nations and at least one with a total of over 70 invading nations taking control of the region from Ariusgrad,

Applauding the diplomacy of Ariusgrad as they helped their region maintain warm relations with more than 100 regions at one time, including multiple major regions such as The Rejected Realms and The Order of the Grey Wardens, while cooperating and working with a number of them in multiple missions in the past,

Praising the leadership of Ariusgrad which brought Philippines to new heights, administering the most number of member nations in the region's history as it reached 177 nations in 2017,

Respecting their prolific work to maintain a good international standing for Philippines as Ariusgrad continued to be active in the universe by having their region join the inter-regional alliance of the URA, an alliance of over 34 independent regions dedicated to World Assembly matters and inter-regional peace,

Grateful for Ariusgrad's continued programs to bolster defense and reinforce security from the regional to the global scale in promotion of ready power for peace,

Moved by their commitment to achieve economic and social development within a shared world,

Believing that the existence of a nation passionate about individual participation, international relations, inclusiveness, openness, and democratization in this decade makes the world a better place for all,

Hereby commends Ariusgrad.

Co-authored by Lanaograd
Former WA Officer
Deadeye Jack
Discord: Mad-Eye Jack#6068

Re: [IN QUEUE] Commend Ariusgrad

Post by Deadeye Jack »

Against.

I have no doubt that Ariusgrad has been important to Phillipines. But I just don't see much international impact nor do I think they have been anymore impressive in their home region than countless other players have been in theirs.
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms

Manson told me to put these in my signature:
Of Altonianic Islands
Nation: Of Altonianic Islands
Discord: Al Pa

Post by Of Altonianic Islands »

For.

While I agree with Deadeye Jack on his gripes, there is prior SC precedent for these types of commendations. In addition, as a prior Delegate of a tiny region that had to deal with several invasions, I am incredibly impressed by Ariusgrad's handling of regional defense. And then there's the impressive length of his/her reign.

In my opinion, commendations are supposed to signify impressive accomplishments. After reading this commendation resumé, I am firmly believing in the Ariusgrad's worthiness, regardless of the fact that they didn't have much "international impact."
Lansaka
Nation: Lansaka
Discord: TheOriginalGoatMan2#9211

Post by Lansaka »

For. I agree with OAI.
Author of the NS Issue "Crushed Dreams"

Soldier in the RRA

Culture Staff Member

NationStates: Lansaka
Fauxia
Nation: Fauxia
Discord: Fauxia#1470

Post by Fauxia »

Of Altonianic Islands wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 02:05
there is prior SC precedent for these types of commendations.
Like what? The closest think I can think of is Forever Fields but that has more to it than "leading a relatively small and unknown region".

Even if there is any, let's not let bad precedent soil the law.

Impact in one region rarely is enough, and if it is, it should be in a large, influential region like a GCR. Ariusgrad is a great player as far as I can tell, but this just doesn't hit the mark.

Against.
Deputy Officer of Being Irrelevant
frattastan
Discord: frattastan#2205

Post by frattastan »

Against. I'm not convinced that the work done in Philippines is 'outstanding' compared to what many delegates and founders do for their regions.

changed
In this world there are two kinds of people: those with loaded guns and those who dig. I dig.
Cove
Nation: Chimes
Discord: JamieNS#9042

Post by Cove »

Against, I was unsure, but the arguments made above have convinced me.
~ Former Delegate of The Rejected Realms ~
~ Former Officer for the World Assembly ~
~ Ex-Speaker of The Rejected Realms Assembly (2 Terms) ~
~ Former RRA Officer ~
Lenlyvit

Post by Lenlyvit »

For. Which was probably obvious.
Tinhampton
Nation: Lydia Anderson
Discord: Tinhampton#7402

Post by Tinhampton »

I have rescinded my Discord vote and am now AGAINST this proposal. A few reasons:
  • The proposal is too vague: it does not explain how Ariusgrad "encourag[ed] active participation of its residents in regional and global affairs," what "ready power for peace" or indeed anything else referred to in the GRATEFUL clause is, why Philippines was "riddled" with the problems described in the IMPRESSED clause, and how Ariusgrad showed their "commitment to achieve economic and social development within a shared world";
  • Ariusgrad only "administer[ed] the most number of member nations in the region's history" in July 2017 because the region was staving off a large-scale invasion at the time, which I believe was part of TBH's Operation STREAKER (1) - it should follow that most of the 100+ arrivals that month were raiders or defenders, not natives, which thus tells us very little (if anything) about how these nations were "administered";
  • this proposal's definition of "warm relations" appears to relate to the upwards of 100 embassies held by Philippines - mostly comprised of inactive regions named after real-world locations, and which also includes such havens of spammy RMB posting as First World Order and The Wooloo Pact;
  • creating government positions is hardly worthy of Commendation, but even less so when those positions are "Communications Officer," "Homeland Officer" and "Security Officer" - each of these being generic game-default names for regional officers that any old executive delegate or founder can bestow; and
  • simply joining an interregional alliance is also not Commendable. Are we just going to commend the other three dozen or so nations that chucked their regions into URA because they chucked their regions into URA? How about WALL, FRA, or the Consortium?
1: Source for "staving off [an] invasion"
Tinhampton, the Self-Administrative City of

GA author x4, SC author x3, issue co-author x1, Cup of Harmony winner x1 (LXXVIII)
frattastan
Discord: frattastan#2205

Post by frattastan »

changing my vote to for
In this world there are two kinds of people: those with loaded guns and those who dig. I dig.
makdon

Post by makdon »

Votes from discord:
For: Grea Kriopia
# For: 1
Against: Aga, Dakota
# Against: 2
Abstain: -
# Abstain: 0
Former WA Officer
makdon

Post by makdon »

I am against. This proposal is well written and argued, but Ariusgard is not commendable. I want to support this because I honestly quite like it, but the substance isn't there.
Former WA Officer
Karputsk

Post by Karputsk »

Against.
Gorundu
Nation: Vuy
Discord: An_Dr_Ew#7746

Post by Gorundu »

Against.
Officer of TNP Affairs
Guy

Post by Guy »

For. NS sorely lacks UCR region-builders. And the only thing that’s rarer than a successful, lasting UCR project is one in a founderless region with a significant name. Maintaining a community in one of those is especially tough (unless you have TNP’s protection or something). Ariusgard’s actions are the sort of “beneficial to the game” actions that we ought to commend.

Return to “Security Council”