[ELECTION SPECIAL] A Sit Down With Delegate Walrus

Past issues of The Rejected Times, our regional newspaper.

Moderators: Delegate, Editor-in-Chief

John Laurens
Nation: USS Merrimack
Discord: @thiccbois#9077

[ELECTION SPECIAL] A Sit Down With Delegate Walrus

Post by John Laurens »

A Sit Down With Delegate Walrus

ELECTION SPECIAL | WRITTEN BY JOHN LAURENS | EDITED BY THE REJECTED REALMS STAFF

As a part of our election coverage, The Rejected Times is proud to bring you this interview from the campaign trail.

For the last six months, Walrus has served as Delegate of the Rejected Realms, navigating a changing world in the foreign affairs landscape, while also battling activity issues within the region. Today we sat down with him, to ask him questions about his campaign and get some insight into what he wants most from a second term.

The Walrus campaign has placed a heavy emphasis on foreign affairs, acknowledging that “the camel's back of raider-indie relations has been broken.” We asked the Delegate about his mindset during this time, as leader of one of the most storied defender regions in the game. The Delegate noted TRR’s unique position on the world stage, saying “What's important to note, though, is that TL and TGW are relatively apolitical, while TRR is in this case. And this has been a historical issue, meaning I couldn't just write treaties on a whim. So, I came to realize that taking things slower in TRR-indie relations would be the best approach if we were to make progress.” This marks a departure from typical TRR diplomacy, which typically has focused on defender aligned regions.

Not all are happy with this change, however. Walrus’ opponent, Speaker BowShot, has called for more public consultation, saying “No more treaties being written, proposed to the citizenry and then the citizenry being told that it's going to be very hard to make changes because the government has already signed off on it.” We asked the Delegate if there was a barrier of entry to participating in Foreign Affairs, to which he responded: “Not a significant barrier to entry, tbh. If one was curious they could join the Diplomatic Corps and ask people there, or ask the FA Officer/Delegate. But I wouldn't say our foreign policy is awfully complex.” It will remain to be seen if the desire for more public involvement in the treaty making process will show itself in the final ballot.

The Delegate’s plan for Domestic Affairs was short, opting mostly to stay the course, with a program to overhaul the dispatch system, and to play more steam games together. However, the delegate isn’t worried about domestic policy being out on the back burner, saying that “FA and Culture are my focuses”

To round out the interview, we lastly asked the Delegate what he wanted to be remembered for, to which he responded “Increasing activity to a maintainable and high level even after my term ends”

NOTE: The Rejected Times does not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Rejected Realms.
Find The Rejected Times Index here.
John Laurens-Wessex
Editor-in-Chief of The Rejected Times
Former Media, Culture, and Outreach Officer

Return to “The Rejected Times Archive”