Events in TSP, the Identity of Dev

Contains all the archives as sub-forums.
Anur-Sanur

Post by Anur-Sanur »

sedge wrote:
02 Jun 2011, 11:01
Biyah wrote:
02 Jun 2011, 10:49
Whoa Whoa Whoa

Um, CG - seriously. This is not personal, I'm not going to be chasing you over FB. Remove me if you want, I'm not Gov or Uni.

To clarify, I meant all of NS. I have never, will never, stalk or harass someone outside of it.

I'll talk to you later, when you're not quite so frazzed.

~B
Oh, so you're only going to make CG's life hell across NationStates? Well that's OK...
Who are you to talk?

You furiously betrayed the nation that co-wrote your commendation, only so you could go to TSP and play kingmaker.

I think that outsizes anything Biyah will do to CG.
Oliver Dion

Post by Oliver Dion »

I'm not sure Anur-Sanur's really in a position to speak here...
Anur-Sanur

Post by Anur-Sanur »

Oliver Dion-Grey wrote:
02 Jun 2011, 11:05
I'm not sure Anur-Sanur's really in a position to speak here...
What because I wanted Kandarin out?

Did I know Nai?

Did I work with Nai?

Did I have Nai write me a commendation and then work behind the scenes to vilify and embarrass her?

Whatever I have said about Nai/Kandarin is the same stuff the Sedge/CG have echoed at Southern Bellz, and has been said many times before.

This is about personal betrayal, which Sedge conducted to further a foolish agenda.

If he was trying to be The Empire in TEP he should have had a better plan. All he did was hold the delegacy for a few days, suppress anyone he didn't like, and decayed The South Pacific RMB into mindless trolling nonsense.

The masses don't understand/care about the politics. But this kind of disgusting personal betrayal everyone can understand, and Sedge should suffer for it.
frattastan
Discord: frattastan#2205

Post by frattastan »

No, because you really don't care about TRR nor about Sedge being Devo, and you're just using this to get him out of the region (an exaggeration, as NC said) for personal reasons/to advance your silly traitor position.
Therefore you will be ignored.
In this world there are two kinds of people: those with loaded guns and those who dig. I dig.
Anur-Sanur

Post by Anur-Sanur »

I'm the only REJECTEE in here!

Your only here because Sedge is your friend. As I said it doesn't matter.

No one cares about the Anur-Sedge narrative.

The Sedge-Unibot narrative, the Sedge-Topid/Daynor narrative, etc... are what people will care about and understand.

Also the fact that CG was nonexistent as TRR declined, was passed over by Kandarin because of this, and now is conspiring with Sedge to scold and attack others for poor leadership in feeders.

Nice
frattastan
Discord: frattastan#2205

Post by frattastan »

Yep, it was hypocrite.

Still I don't need to get told by you how we should judge and what we should do him, and I would very much prefer listening to those who were actually involved <_<
In this world there are two kinds of people: those with loaded guns and those who dig. I dig.
Biyah

Post by Biyah »

sedge wrote:
02 Jun 2011, 11:01
Biyah wrote:
02 Jun 2011, 10:49
Whoa Whoa Whoa

Um, CG - seriously. This is not personal, I'm not going to be chasing you over FB. Remove me if you want, I'm not Gov or Uni.

To clarify, I meant all of NS. I have never, will never, stalk or harass someone outside of it.

I'll talk to you later, when you're not quite so frazzed.

~B
Oh, so you're only going to make CG's life hell across NationStates? Well that's OK...
Our conversation was along a different vein, I figured it would be obvious by that point.
Biyah

Post by Biyah »

And sorry for the double post, but I have too...

Good God Above, Anur, shut your Frakking mouth. Please, for the love of all that is holy in this world. Just munch on a towel or something for the next 48 hours. PLEASE
LadyRebels

Post by LadyRebels »

I have to say something here, and take it however you want to...Topid/Daynor is a great person, I have talked with him and like him. His Intent to run for Delegate I do not think is for any other reason than to help TSP, if I had a thought/feeling that it was anything more or less than that I would be throwing my own cap in the ring. Understand me clearly here, I am and always will be for helping TSP, nothing more/nothing less than that.

As to what happened, Goddess Above, Goddess Below, Goddess of the Directions can't anyone see the good that has come from this "mess" if you so choose to call it that. It was a huge wake up call, activity is back up in TSP and things are being discussed that honestly at the time before now would have just been shoved off to the side.

Where do you honestly see the bad in all of this?
Handler of the Banana and Dill Pizzas and the Leprechauns...
I do solemnly swear that I am up to no good....Mischief Unmanaged
Biyah

Post by Biyah »

Yes, that was pretty much figured out. Now I'm the bastard for daring to say anything.
Drop Your Pants

Post by Drop Your Pants »

Could be worse, could be FRA :P
Blackwater Rifts

Post by Blackwater Rifts »

Not sure why everyone is taking such polarised positions on this. Think everyone needs a break and to think about this rationally rather than in black or white terms.
Naivetry

Post by Naivetry »

This came up on IRC several hours ago, but needs to be brought here for wider recognition.

Despite Biyah's statement to the contrary, this is not the first time I have been informed of Devonitian's identity. Biyah himself told me about twelve hours before the end of the coup, and I confirmed it with Sedge at that time. Those who were on IRC will understand why this information was not reported accurately in the initial statement; I would encourage those who missed that conversation and are curious to ask me via private message.

Other things in Biyah's statement are entirely true. Devonitians was not supported by the government of TRR. Neither I nor any of TRR's Officers was aware of Devonitians' identity until shortly before he was removed from power. The RRA did not exist at the time of the coup, and no orders or suggestions were given to move to TSP at any point during it; the few nations from TRR that participated either as candidates or as commentators did so entirely as individuals.

We then issued a statement that 1) suspends our embassy with TSP for using outside military forces to regain a delegacy lost solely to native endorsements, and 2) declines to recognize the current forum government of TSP as legitimate until a connection with the region itself is firmly reestablished.

In that statement, we made a number of assertions subject to criticism:

1) The legitimacy of a forum-based government is dependent on its connection to the nations in the region.
2) The right and privilege of governing a feeder belong only to those communities which actively work to foster growth in NationStates.

I helped to draft this statement in full knowledge that Devonitians was Sedge. I did so not in order to close ranks and defend him - Sedge is more than capable of defending himself - but because I firmly believe in the two principles on which that statement is based. In the months since Kandarin left me his nation, I have had plenty of opportunity to reflect on the foundations of government in NationStates, thanks to a series of helpful and persistent critics. This challenge to TSP is no more and no less than the challenge that faces TRR, and it would be hypocritical to hold ourselves to any lesser standard than that which we demand from others.

In writing that statement, we took a stand on some principles. If the rest of the Officers and I were way off base from the rest of the region on those principles, then we will need to revise our stance to represent that of the region as a whole. I have ideas and opinions about it, of course. I think we were right to criticize inactivity and a lack of engagement in TSP. I think we were right to object to the use of outside troops to combat a delegate elected by native endorsements. And I think we were right not to seek to influence the outcome as a region ourselves.

You may disagree with some or all of those points. I hope you'll voice your opinion, either here or in the private citizens' area, so we can decide what to do about this revelation and where to go from here.

And now I'm going to go have some coffee. Anyone else want some?
Kandarin the Younger/Lirantha
~
Spartan Termopylae

Post by Spartan Termopylae »

I'm....not sure what to think here. Those of us such as myself were truly shocked by events, by the fact that the FRA acted as it did. Then, others, now known to be in the know, feigned the same shock. That is....mocking. It's not nice to do. However, no-one in TRR has a right to tell others what they can or can't do with other nations. I'm....not sure what position to take. It bears some thinking. But regional removal isnt an option. Loss of officership....perhaps, in the fullness of tim, when it has been investigated. We were technically lied to, and that I do not like
The written word is one of the most precious things known to man.

We have barely reached a point where most appreciate this.

Wr addre nearing the point where were loose this
Biyah

Post by Biyah »

Point of order - when did any of us lie to you?

I won't speak for sedge or CG, but Dali and I simply said nothing here. There is nothing for any one in the region to latch on to, there are no statements we made that can be contradicted. Keeping a group of people in ignorance is not lying.

The FRA still went in without knowledge of what they were doing with, they did interfere with a local problem. TSP was the quadmire it appeared to be, etc etc.

~B
LadyRebels

Post by LadyRebels »

All I can say.....way to go Biyah on stirring up a hornets nest in TSP :P wow I just might find myself back on the banned list....but it is going to be a fun ride.
Handler of the Banana and Dill Pizzas and the Leprechauns...
I do solemnly swear that I am up to no good....Mischief Unmanaged
Spartan Termopylae

Feigning ignorance and shock wirh regards to events is in itself a lie. Not an overt one, true, but a lie still. Not telling those of us ignorant to it the truth is a lie of omission. Its like Cample, Blair, and the dodgy dossier

Biyah

Post by Biyah »

Actually, most of our reactions were still genuine. Speaking for myself, every group I bashed was done so with legitimate reason. The fact we knew the person behind the coup is immaterial to that.

~B
Thought Transference

Post by Thought Transference »

Biyah wrote:I'm the only REJECTEE in here!
YOU said it. But you have to realize that we've rejected you too.

Biyah wrote:No one cares about the what Anur-Sedge narrativeSanur wants us to do in TRR.
Fixed. ;)

A-S, what Sedge has or hasn't done and what it does or doesn't mean is a family matter, and you excluded yourself from the family back when you decided to work against the region during the elections. You're perfectly entitled to your opinion, and you may even be right: even a stopped clock is right twice a day. But you've shown that you aren't TRR, and that you're here for reasons of your own that aren't about the well-being of TRR. You have to remember we already have seen what you're really about.

Peace,
TT

Coffee is the cause of all things. (Thales, 2nd ed.)
Thought Transference

Post by Thought Transference »

I've got a few strands of stuff going on in my mind, and after the last 2 days that hasn't gotten easier. Wall Of Post alert! My take on this is that I don't have a problem with the TSP crash being done by Sedge the player. Why not? A lot of players --- maybe more than will admit it openly --- find they have multiple personalities in NS, or at least would like to have. We all know that there are players who have played as both defender and raider nations, or as defenders and neutrals, or as raiders and neutrals, at different times. It can be fun to play both Jekyll and Hyde. But folks usually have the good sense not to flaunt it publicly and to keep their identities more or less quarrantined in any sense that it might be important.

The first problem I have is that Sedge the nation has become associated with the crash. To me that's a mistake because it means Sedge the defender and Sedge the TRR officer have been associated with it in other people's minds. That's a nuance to this event I'd have preferred not to be there.

And that brings me to my second problem, as found in parts of Nai's statement (I quote specific bits that encapsulate issues, but intend to keep the context of the whole):
Naivetry wrote: In that statement, we made a number of assertions subject to criticism:

1) The legitimacy of a forum-based government is dependent on its connection to the nations in the region.
2) The right and privilege of governing a feeder belong only to those communities which actively work to foster growth in NationStates.

This challenge to TSP is no more and no less than the challenge that faces TRR, and it would be hypocritical to hold ourselves to any lesser standard than that which we demand from others.

I think we were right to criticize inactivity and a lack of engagement in TSP. ...
Call me naive (you won't be the first) but I'm not 100% happy with those principles, or at least with how to interpret and "enforce" those priinciples.

First, I'm not convinced that any region has the right to hold another region to any standard whether greater or lesser, with regard to the style of government. To the extent that we're connected to a defender army we may feel the need to hold regional governments to some standard that relates to not being invaders. But as for the rest, we ourselves have said more than once that all regions have to face the challenge of apathy and inactivity and that isn't necessarily the fault of the leadership. So why would we view the "inactivity" of TSP as a justification of interference with their Delegacy?

Second, who cares if they're a feeder or not? Is there some kind of "feeder code" that requires them to act a certain way? If there is, do all feeders adhere to it? Do we?

Let's take a sideways look at this point: I'll use The Pacific for my example. We all hate recruiters, especially the ones that just defecate all-caps, special effects, ascii, and pompously meaningless rhetoric all over our RMB and think they're clever, although I have to admit I find a few of them amusing or interesting at times, and some get stuck in and are more like TRRans than PsITA. But the rules of NS last time I looked didn't ban RMB recruiting outright, they only gave Delegates the right to exercise increased control over it. Last I heard, Krull does an outright banject on anyone who posts an ad of any kind. Personally I prefer our more enlightened approach: make recruiters jump through hoops, suppress the ones that don't jump, mock the ones that do jump unless you like them. ;)

So is someone from another feeder going to crash The Pacific to "shake things up" there? Why not? Because we like Krull and won't mess things up for him? Or because we know he's no push-over? Now I'm reminded of the difference in RL between messing with a country that has no nuclear weapons and with one that has.

There is no "feeder code", or any other kind of code in NS as regards activity and engagement by the government, so why would we as TRR (i.e., why would Nai as TRR's Delegate) assert principles that might be seen by others to legitimize region-crashing? That risks making us look complicit in the matter even though we weren't.

Finally, that little line, "I think we were right to criticize inactivity and a lack of engagement in TSP". I'm sorry, but I really think that isn't valid. Who's to determine concerning another region how much activity and engagement are "enough" to give a region a pass on being crashed? Who has the right to say to another region, "you aren't busy enough, your government isn't engaged enough, so I think I/we should crash you to stir things up?" Sorry, but I'm not buying that, first because the evaluation is a subjective one, and second because the evaluation is based on the opinion(s) of outsiders who shouldn't have a say in the first place.

Last thoughts. If I only look at this as the act of an individual player it gets easier. I say "Clever move, Devonitian, whoever you are", and observe that it has had a certain re-invigourating effect on TSP. I think it's especially laudable that it was announced from the start as being limited to a maximum of 7 days at which point Devonitian would step down voluntarily.

It's when I see that Sedge has announced it as his own work, with no regard for the rep that attaches to the nation "Sedge" or to his connections and offices, and when TRR makes an open statement that can be (and has been) taken to justify the senior officer of another region crashing TSP, that I'm having trouble with this.

And @Sedge: didn't you ever watch the beginning of the old Mission Impossible shows? You (as player) should have created and maintained plausible deniability (as nations) so that neither the nation Sedge nor TRR would have any traceable connection whatsoever. And you should've taken the secret with you to the grave. As soon as you announced your involvement especially in earshot of Biyah, you may as well just have done the crash as Sedge.

And for the record? No I don't think Sedge should be tossed out of TRR or anything of the kind. Maybe CG should spank him. And make him watch the entire series of Mission Impossible. In black and white, like I had to. ;)
Peace,
TT

Coffee is the cause of all things. (Thales, 2nd ed.)
Naivetry

Post by Naivetry »

Thanks for the comments so far, everyone.

There are two points I'd like to bring up about the secrecy and/or lack thereof, and what Spartan said about feeling deceived.

The first is that my reaction was genuine; I might not have wanted it broadcast in an FA statement, but I would have felt the same whoever had taken the delegacy. I would have objected to the content of that statement if it had been based on a personal assessment of the players involved, rather than on what I believe to be universal principles.

The second is that TT is right about the need to keep the nation Devonitians separate from the nation/player Sedge... and that''s one reason why I didn't announce it when I found out who Dev was. The other reason is that I do my best to keep confidences in-game (a conversation we've had here before). Sedge's actions as Devonitians posed no threat to TRR unless his identity was revealed... which made announcing it, even to our citizens, more of a threat to the region than simply sitting on the information. This announcement has made that a moot point; but since Sedge did not consult TRR before taking the delegacy, silence was the only feasible option we were left with after finding out.

My understanding of the situation is that Biyah and Dali were able to piece together Sedge's identity - how, I'm not sure, though there's a standard battery of Intel tricks that could come into play - and dropped enough hints that he felt he couldn't deny it any longer. To give credit to Sedge, he did try to keep his two identities separate... but with the entire NS world watching, that's harder than it sounds.
Who's to determine concerning another region how much activity and engagement are "enough" to give a region a pass on being crashed? Who has the right to say to another region, "you aren't busy enough, your government isn't engaged enough, so I think I/we should crash you to stir things up?" Sorry, but I'm not buying that, first because the evaluation is a subjective one, and second because the evaluation is based on the opinion(s) of outsiders who shouldn't have a say in the first place.
You shouldn't buy it. I don't.

Inactivity is never a good reason for one region to interfere militarily in the affairs of another. That's why in that entire statement, there was not one word of praise for Devonitians. For TRR, the correct response to concern over inactivity in TSP prior to the coup would have been to broach the topic in our embassy and ask for a dialog with the government to voice our concerns. If they're open to discussion, I'd love to do that still on an informal level; I would have made it over there already if I hadn't been busy in RL, and now busy addressing the current situation.

To be clear: I do not believe that Dev/Sedge "did the right thing" in couping TSP. But I do believe that what he did was effective, and to the extent that it produced the desired result - and on that ground only - I approve. The best parallel I can think of is Robin Hood. Robbing the rich to feed the poor produces a positive result (people can now afford to eat) and makes for a great story - but theft is still ethically problematic.

My ideal position would be this: that we as a region 1) do not sponsor or take military action in coups for activity, period, but 2) support the goal of increasing activity, and 3) don't prevent individual citizens from partaking in coups or not as they see fit. As a neutral region, we have as many citizens here who fought against Sedge/Dev as supported him. I don't think that is likely to change, and quite frankly I don't want it to. Outside conflicts are to be expected when you have a crowd as diverse as the one we have here; what I hope and trust is that we can keep TRR as our common center, rather than turning it into another battleground for the conflicts we may have as individuals and members of other regions or organizations.

To return to the question of inactivity: There's a difference between activity for the sake of activity - which is all that many coups in the past have accomplished or aimed at - and insisting on the connection between power and responsibility. We made an enormous effort to reach out to nations in the region when we had elections here, because it was not just the delegacy that was being contested, but the legitimacy of these forums as our region's center of government. If I took away anything from that experience, it was the certainty that the effort to reach out to individual nations in the region - through telegrams, not just through the RMB (although having an active RMB helps) - is not just a propaganda move. It's the only way any government in NS can claim to be truly founded on the consent of the governed.

And it's a heck of a lot of work, which is why so few people do it. But if we aren't prepared to do the work, we don't deserve to lead. That is my conviction. It's the only way I can reconcile the disparity between the people who are engaged on the forum and the much larger group of people who aren't - by ensuring that I have done everything in my power not only to allow them to participate in government, but to actively invite and encourage them to do so. Then the ball is fully in their court.

That's what I expect from myself as delegate. That's what I believe is the bare minimum required for any feeder government to be able to claim that it represents the region. It's a criterion that can be applied to all the feeders, not to TSP alone; the only difference between TSP and the other Pacifics is that the other feeder governments have been active enough recently to keep their delegate in power.

I will continue to defend our right to critique activity in the other feeders. But criticism is and should be separated from active interference in the operations of another region. That's where I draw the line, and that's the line that Dev crossed. I understand and support his reasons for taking action - without condoning the action itself.

And I welcome debate over whether or not that position is feasible... for me personally as well as for TRR as a region.
~
Spartan Termopylae

Is it possible to say that his reasoning is sound, yet condemn the action taken? I understand, partly, the reason. Yet i dont support it, and still condemn the action. What we were complaining about the FRA having done turns out to be pretty much what happened in the first place. And since it was a member of our ruling party in a guise, and since word of this has undoubtedly spread via ambassadors to other regions, anything we say now is dirt. Now, im not saying i want sedge gone. Im not saying i want him out of government. The latter is an option to keep open and maybe discuss when things have calmed down. Theres been rather too much...excitement recently for us to rush into anything

Oliver Dion

Post by Oliver Dion »

I just love it when Nai opens her mouth. Good things have a tendency to come out. I applaud your actions and the principles supporting them. :)
Biyah

Post by Biyah »

Nicely said.
Naivetry

Post by Naivetry »

Spartan - in brief, yes, it is possible. And it's an option for us to discuss. I agree with you about the timing. I'll be considering the Officer positions and shuffling folks around pending the approval of new candidates by the Assembly.
~

Return to “Super Archive”